X570 - Looking for a gigabit motherboard with 8 SATA + M.2 X 3

rwnrwnn7

Oct 4, 2017
X570 - Looking for a gigabit motherboard with 8 SATA + M.2 X 3

Very disappointed with Gigabyte - boards only with 6 SATA connections
if you run 3 M2 connections then there are only 4 SATA connections

The boards are very expensive, and it is idiotic to only have 4 or 6 SATA connections

In the operating instructions of the board it is written - Whoever operates 3 M.2 connections
It has only 4 M SATA connections

http://download.gigabyte.eu/FileList/Manual/mb_manual_x570-aorus-ultra_1001_190626_e.pdf
Page 21

VirtualLarry

No Lifer
Aug 25, 2001
I think that they feel that people that primarily utilize M.2 NVMe storage, are less likely to be heavy users of SATA storage as well.

These are, after all, consumer-focused motherboards, NOT server motherboards, where you would want both an array of M.2 NVMe SSDs for tiering / caching, AND a large array of SATA ports for HDD bulk storage.

beginner99

Diamond Member
Jun 2, 2009
Very disappointed with Gigabyte - boards only with 6 SATA connections
if you run 3 M2 connections then there are only 4 SATA connections

The boards are very expensive, and it is idiotic to only have 4 or 6 SATA connections

That's not Gigabytes fault at all but a "limitation" of Ryzen 3000 and X570. In fact what is disappointing is MSI MEG Ace that only offers 4 SATA ports and doesn't even give you the choice.

I say "Limitation" because who uses 3 NVME drives + 8 sata drives? If you do so, you need to go HEDT eg. threadripper platform.

Ryzen3000 SOC has 16xpice lanes for gpu, 4x for 1 nvme drive and 4xSATA ports. Any other SATA ports or NVME lanes come from the chipset which has limited pcie lanes. Hence you either get 2x nvme or 4x sata. It's impossible to run 3xnvme and more than 4xsata on x570.

rwnrwnn7

Oct 4, 2017
That's not Gigabytes fault at all but a "limitation" of Ryzen 3000 and X570. In fact what is disappointing is MSI MEG Ace that only offers 4 SATA ports and doesn't even give you the choice.

NO
This is a gigabyte problem, you can add extra Chip and bandwidth
And add another 2 or 4 SATA 6 connections
As it used to be in
Past motherboards

$ 400 or $ 700 per motherboard with 4 SATA is a shame

VirtualLarry

No Lifer
Aug 25, 2001
NO
No, it doesn't work that way, you cannot keep conjouring up more bandwidth and ports out of thin air, no matter how mobo makers have been faking it with PCI-E mux chips for SLI board in the past.

If you want more, go with a HEDT rig with more PCI-E lanes, and get some PCI-E x16 multi-
NVMe host cards, and some 8-port RAID/IT SATA cards.

beginner99

Diamond Member
Jun 2, 2009
NO

No it's not. any ASUS or ASRock x570 board with 8 sata and 3xnvme will have the exact same issue. You only have that many lines / connections available from the chipset and honestly it is more than enough for the consumer platform. If you need that many drives (which 99.999% of users don't) then you have to buy into threadripper platform or Intel HEDT.

piasabird

Lifer
Feb 6, 2002
Well you could add a raid card and a USB3 Hub. I am under the impression that only m.2 SATA cards use the SATA ports. MVME should not do that. Granted they are more expensive.

Cant see needing that many drives in a system. Maybe buy larger drives.

Feb 4, 2009
No it's not. any ASUS or ASRock x570 board with 8 sata and 3xnvme will have the exact same issue. You only have that many lines / connections available from the chipset and honestly it is more than enough for the consumer platform. If you need that many drives (which 99.999% of users don't) then you have to buy into threadripper platform or Intel HEDT.

Agreed otherwise it would be sort of unfair for a dude like me who wants 1 NVMe drive and maybe 1 ssd drive to essentially subsidize the extra cost for a dude who want more than 3x that storage.

rwnrwnn7

Oct 4, 2017
10 years Gigabyte provides motherboards with 10-6 SATA 6 connections
In fact, the new board 570 with a new chip has 4-6 SATA 6 connections
Not right

UsandThem

Elite Member
May 4, 2000
Not right

10 years ago, there were no M.2 slots sharing lanes with the chipset.

VirtualLarry

No Lifer
Aug 25, 2001
Not right
I'll bite. 10 years ago (2009, maybe 2008), I bought a Gigabyte GA-P35-DS3R motherboard. It was a semi-deluxe one, mid-range, with SATA RAID support. The chipset-provided SATA ports, numbered FOUR (*). There were an additional TWO SATA and ONE IDE port, provided by a Jmicron chipset, called "GSATA2" on my board.

Seems like the SAME number of SATA ports on boards 10 years ago, doesn't it? But now we've got three NVMe sockets TOO!

Face facts, you want more ports, buy a "server" motherboard, or buy multiple RAID cards.

(*) In hindsight, I thought that the ICH9R had six SATA ports. But I thought that the entire board had six ports, and there were definitely two Jmicron-powered (purple) ports onboard too. So maybe the board had eight total?

Ok, I had to look this up.
https://www.gigabyte.com/Motherboard/GA-P35-DS3R-rev-10#ov

The ICH9R (southbridge chipset) did have SIX SATA ports, and then the board had an additional TWO JMicron-powered SATA ports, for a total of EIGHT SATA ports.

Last edited:

rwnrwnn7

Oct 4, 2017
So? You're the one who said all X570 boards only have 4-6 SATA connections, not me.

That's one of the boards I posted about before I edited my post.
yes for gigabyte

You haven't even checked data!
But answering does not cost money! Even if answered incorrectly!

UsandThem

Elite Member
May 4, 2000
yes for gigabyte

You haven't even checked data!
But answering does not cost money! Even if answered incorrectly!

I answered, but then I thought your username stood out for some reason. Then I looked at your past posts, and I remembered you (and deleted my suggestions). Why help someone for free when they're always so unappreciative and confrontational to everyone?

You catch more flies with honey than you do with vinegar. Anyways, that's all the time I care to spend in this thread.

beginner99

Diamond Member
Jun 2, 2009
so ?
M.2 Not intended for large storage.
asrock - have 8 SATA3, 2 Hyper M.2

It actually has 3xm2 slots but last one disables 3rd pcie 16x slot if used. For the other 2 m2 ports, nothing is mentioned about disabling sata ports so mabye yeah it actually does work as far as I can tell from the manual onn this one. but I would still first get confirmation on that before buying. I don't fully trust manuals. out of experience.

d33pblue

Jul 2, 2003
I'm a bit in the same boat. I'd like 2xM2 plus as many SATA ports as I can get. Its looking like the Asrock boards are going to be the best option (with 8 sata ports).

If you need another M2 slot, its easy enough to buy an add-in card for $15. A simple add-in card makes a LOT more sense than going to a vastly more expensive HEDT platform.

Reactions: NTMBK

samboy

Aug 17, 2002

d33pblue

Jul 2, 2003
The first product seems to support 1xNVME and 1xM.2 (SATA speeds); but not 2xNVME as far as I can tell.
Either way, that would fulfill the OP's requirement for 3x NVME slots with just a simple, affordable add-in card.