Question X570 chipset fans

Chriz

Oct 9, 1999
I want to buy an X570 motherboard but wondering what people's experiences are with the X570 chipset fans. Do the fans even turn on for you usually? I've heard for at least some of them the chipset has to reach a certain temperature for the fan to turn on. Also, does your BIOS have an option to turn off the chipset fan? Just asking because I've had bad experiences in the past with chipset fans.

Muadib

Lifer
May 30, 2000
The chipset fan on my Asrock X570 Taichi is always on. I can control the speed, but can't turn it off. I haven't seen any setting in the UEFI to do so.

Feb 4, 2009
The chipset fan on my Asrock X570 Taichi is always on. I can control the speed, but can't turn it off. I haven't seen any setting in the UEFI to do so.

Same with my steel legend. I can set it to slow/quiet but I cannot turn it off.
I did try some gaming with it set on slow and my temps were kind of high.
Honestly I can’t hear the fan over the other fans and I suspect even if the fan fails I would be able to plug another case fan in and point it at the non functional fan and I’d be fine.
As of now there is a whole lot of scandal over the chipset fan. You won’t hear it, it works fine and it should last for years.

pauldun170

Diamond Member
Sep 26, 2011
I want to buy an X570 motherboard but wondering what people's experiences are with the X570 chipset fans. Do the fans even turn on for you usually? I've heard for at least some of them the chipset has to reach a certain temperature for the fan to turn on. Also, does your BIOS have an option to turn off the chipset fan? Just asking because I've had bad experiences in the past with chipset fans.

Gigabyte Aorus Elite paired with a 3900x and one SN550 NVME in a thermaltake S300 case.

My chipset fan never comes on.
Fan profile set in the bios only turns on the fan unless it exceeds a temperature threshold.
Mine is set at 50C (IIRC) and it never hits that temp.

Correction...it may temporarily spin up during post

viivo

Diamond Member
May 4, 2002
I've never seen or heard the one on my Asus TUF X570-P come on, and this motherboard has the tiniest, flimsiest chipset heatsink imaginable.

Meghan54

Lifer
Oct 18, 2009
OP, I had the same questions a month or so ago. Was even considering building up a new system based on Intel because of past experiences with chipset fans. (Yes, it was long ago....lol!)

But I bit the bullet and bought an X570 mb (MSI Meg Ace). Haven't heard the chipset fan yet. Just checked right now (only internet browsing) and the fan's off. Have never checked during gaming, but I may. On the other hand, cannot hear it at all...gpu's fans are probably drowning it out during gaming (2070 Super w/triple fans).

I wouldn't worry about its noise creation. My concern now is the fan's failure and ability to obtain replacement since these fans seem to be unique to mb mfgr/mb itself. Worse comes to worse, I'll use an old Antec spot cool fan, but that fan is plainly audible. But it has the ability to allow me to mount it anywhere there's a screw and focus its output on one spot.

beginner99

Diamond Member
Jun 2, 2009
No idea but I don't hear it over all the other fans even when essentially idling. My built isn't exactly silent as I have a smallish case an ambient is in high seventies or higher most of the year.

Magic Carpet

Diamond Member
Oct 2, 2011
There is a model without any fans. I'd probably get that if I wanted to go X570 route, otherwise B550.

TitusTroy

Dec 17, 2005
what happens if the chipset fan does die?...if you have 5-6 case fans will that be enough to cool the chipset or does it need that dedicated chipset fan?

Feb 4, 2009
what happens if the chipset fan does die?...if you have 5-6 case fans will that be enough to cool the chipset or does it need that dedicated chipset fan?

supposedly the fan should last years and years. However per screwing around with my fan I do believe it is needed to avoid real high temps.
I think in the scenario where the fan fails you could stick a case fan on the chipset, like tape it in place or something and you'd be fine.

TitusTroy

Dec 17, 2005
supposedly the fan should last years and years. However per screwing around with my fan I do believe it is needed to avoid real high temps.
I think in the scenario where the fan fails you could stick a case fan on the chipset, like tape it in place or something and you'd be fine.

with the MSI X570 boards is Balanced or Silent preferred?...does the fan not even turn on until it hits a certain temperature threshold?...according to documentation I saw online even with Performance mode the fan is not supposed to turn on until it reaches 50 C...or does it turn on during first boot in all modes?

Feb 4, 2009
with the MSI X570 boards is Balanced or Silent preferred?...does the fan not even turn on until it hits a certain temperature threshold?...according to documentation I saw online even with Performance mode the fan is not supposed to turn on until it reaches 50 C...or does it turn on during first boot in all modes?

Not sure seems to be different for different boads, my asrock steel legend only has slow, medium and high fan speed. No option to turn it off. Currently it is on the default medium setting.

TitusTroy

Dec 17, 2005
Not sure seems to be different for different boads, my asrock steel legend only has slow, medium and high fan speed. No option to turn it off. Currently it is on the default medium setting.

does it ever get loud enough where it's annoying?...or is any sound muffled by your case fans, CPU cooler, GPU etc?

Feb 4, 2009
does it ever get loud enough where it's annoying?...or is any sound muffled by your case fans, CPU cooler, GPU etc?
I can’t hear my fan, I highly doubt anyone can hear their chipset fan. Fan manufacturing has become a lot better than before and cases have more fans in them than before.
The one time I messed with the fan speed I sort of heard it when it was on max speed but sort of means the noise coming from the case wasn’t louder but different. Hard to explain, I can say with certainty it wasn’t loud.