Discussion X470 Taichi Ultimate

kwikgta

Jan 21, 2013
I've been running this board for 2 years and currently with a 3950x/ 3600 "b" die corsair memory, and I've been on bios 3.90 ever since it came out. This morning I flashed to the new bios 4.60 which adds 5000 series support, just in case I ever decide to put a 5000 processor in it sometime in the future. Upon reboot, my memory wouldn't go above 2666 (normally runs at 3800) no matter what voltage I threw at it, I finally go on into windows and neither of the ethernet connections would work at all and reloading the drivers did nothing. I flashed back to 3.90 and everything is normal again. It really makes no difference in the long run as tomorrow I will be swapping the entire system out to a 5950x/6900XT/X570 Tomahawk and the 3950x setup will become my backup system, just wanted to share my experience with this bios update for this board.

Shmee

Memory & Storage, Graphics Cards Mod Elite Member
Super Moderator
Sep 13, 2008
Congrats on the upgrade! Sometimes new BIOS updates have some bugs in them, sometimes things are fixed and sometimes broken...I had a similar issue with my board and the 5800X, until I flashed the latest beta BIOS from MSI. Note I had previous BIOS also in use with my 3700X before I upgraded, and there were no issues there. It was just a bug with 5000 series and memory OC on my board until they fixed it. (The issue was system would not want to post over 3200MHz DDR).

UsandThem

Elite Member
May 4, 2000
Yeah, any X470 and B450 motherboards supporting the 5000 series CPUs are all beta BIOS at this point.

They all got them out earlier than when AMD said they would hit, but usually that is always at the expense of bugs and other odd behavior. I used to buy new hardware when it first launched, but I almost always wait at least 6 months now so all the bugs and quirks can be worked out (by the early adopters :cool: ) .

VirtualLarry

No Lifer
Aug 25, 2001
Was this beta BIOS officially released on the mfg's web site, or was it a "leaked" BIOS that you got, linked from some of the "rumor-mill site" pages? Those may have been based on "a" beta BIOS, and re-named to match up with a bunch of different boards, and not actually be a real BIOS for that specific board.

At least, that's the scenario that sounds the most plausible to me.