Question x470 Issue :

Not A Nerd

Aug 30, 2020
I have an Asus Strix-f x470 for more than a year running with with 2600x at stock setting without any issue until this May.

Not a hard core gamer, but I use to play Quake champion & there was no issues earlier. Not sure, how it happened but suddenly the game starts stuttering;( no settings were changed )
tried different tweaks in Windows 10 & didnt help out. Later, i decided to change the existing GPU (1060) & check with my frnds card & didnt helped out(same issue with the Game).

Couldn't able to find the root cause, tried different benchmarks
> GPU ( furmark,superposition.....all were rendering and giving good result comparable to online)
> CPU ( Prime95 ... test passed & i dont think CPU issue)
> RAM ( Both MemTest86 & Windows tested, all fine) (16GB, 3200MHz GSkills )
? PSU is ok, ( minimum i get is 4.96V & 11.97V ) during the test / benchmark

The MB is updated with latest bios version, i suspect the Chipset might have an issue to get sync with USB input &
with graphics data / cpu input. Any input here would be helpful.

Thanks.

Not A Nerd

Aug 30, 2020
I tried one another with Counter Strike, the game engine/game play is different in this case & hard to predict here. Also i checked with others, who have similar config of mine, they doesn't experience it.
The good thing is still under warranty & am not sure how to describe the issue with Asus.

UsandThem

Elite Member
May 4, 2000
I tried one another with Counter Strike, the game engine/game play is different in this case & hard to predict here. Also i checked with others, who have similar config of mine, they doesn't experience it.
The good thing is still under warranty & am not sure how to describe the issue with Asus.
You should eliminate it being a software/OS issue before thinking it's a hardware issue.

Reactions: Not A Nerd

Not A Nerd

Aug 30, 2020
You should eliminate it being a software/OS issue before thinking it's a hardware issue.
I agree to it & tried all possible way, where i also re-installed the OS(which i forgot to mention above) & still the issue persist. Only unknown is, how do we test/benchmark the Chipset efficiency here ?

cherullo

May 19, 2019
It was around April/May that Microsoft started rolling out Windows build 2004 with support for hardware accelerated scheduling.
It busted VR rendering on my machine, so I'm still using older drivers. Did you try rolling back your graphics drivers?

UsandThem

Elite Member
May 4, 2000
I agree to it & tried all possible way, where i also re-installed the OS(which i forgot to mention above) & still the issue persist. Only unknown is, how do we test/benchmark the Chipset efficiency here ?
There's nothing I know of that can specially check the motherboard's chipset for issues. The chipset handles multiple things, and if it was defective, you would likely be experiencing more issues than you describe.

Anyways, the GPU slot is PCIe 3.0 x16 and it communicates directly with the CPU (it doesn't go through the X470 chipset).

Have you tried looking at things like Windows Reliability Monitor to see if there are issues listed there? Have you checked your SSD/HDD for it's health?

Also, you said your PSU appears to be providing steady power, but what is the brand/model?

Not A Nerd

Aug 30, 2020
There's nothing I know of that can specially check the motherboard's chipset for issues. The chipset handles multiple things, and if it was defective, you would likely be experiencing more issues than you describe.

Anyways, the GPU slot is PCIe 3.0 x16 and it communicates directly with the CPU (it doesn't go through the X470 chipset).

Have you tried looking at things like Windows Reliability Monitor to see if there are issues listed there? Have you checked your SSD/HDD for it's health?

Also, you said your PSU appears to be providing steady power, but what is the brand/model?
I am using SSD for windows & working good, its samsung 256GB & i never checked the HDD status, been used for back up 1TB
Corsair 650W modular one, 2 years old & i am relying on software, may be need to check with DMM.

good catch on PCIe 👍, i believed it was part of chipset, Do you think PCIe bridge could have issues? (earlier i tried in different slot, no improvement, bcos its one bridge )

Shmee

Memory & Storage, Graphics Cards Mod Elite Member
Super Moderator
Sep 13, 2008
I would try adjusting Quake settings to see if that helps. If a game update reset a setting, that might be the cause of performance issues.

Reactions: Not A Nerd

Not A Nerd

Aug 30, 2020
I would try adjusting Quake settings to see if that helps. If a game update reset a setting, that might be the cause of performance issues.
Yup, I did all the possible combinations & even as low, to pump my fps to 240+. I am planning to check at the nearest authorized service station in this week & will post the update.

Reactions: DAPUNISHER