Question x399 Taichi/2970wx problem.

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Markfw

Moderator Emeritus, Elite Member
May 16, 2002
This is odd. So my computers just run 24/7@100% if you know me, then you would know this. Well, none of my systems are overclocked. So now the problem.

The 2970wx on a x399 Taichi just shut down one day. Well, based on my 3900x problem, I thought "just unplug the power supply, wait a few hours and plug it back in". Well, that didn't work. So then I changed power supplies. No change. And what is odd,, the USB ports work ! And the lights on the motherboard (breathing I think they call it) work also. And I tried the power on button on the motherboard, no CPU fans, no video. Then I tyook out the CMOS batterry (overnight) still no change.

Ideas ? Its rare for a motherboard to die, but that has to be it.

Reactions: Drazick

beginner99

Diamond Member
Jun 2, 2009
And I just looked it up. Its gfot a 10 year warranty ! The motherboard may be a loss, but maybe I can get an RMA !

I actually have a rather old enermax PSU and it broke about 3 months before the end of the 5 year warranty. I wasn't sure I should RMA because of the high cost for sending it to RMA (not US, small country so international postage and PSUs aren't that light weight). Anyway the postage was maybe $40 less than a new unit. But then I don't like to waste stuff that could easily be repaired and now it's around 10 years old and powering my 3900x so the RMA was for sure worth it.

However when it failed, nothing else broke and never new what actually failed. Turned PC off in evening and when trying to turn it on the next day absolute nothing happened. Simply didn't power on.
Long story short, I would only RMA it if you actually trust it. The hassle of worrying and another defect usually are not worth it.

Markfw

May 16, 2002
BTW, interesting that this bumped. I just got my new 399 Taichi today, and with the new PSU and its all working fine. So ram is fine also. Just motherboard/PSU. I don;t think motherboards can take out PSU's, just the other way around. And I am starting the Corsair damage RMA today, lets see how that pans out.

Markfw

May 16, 2002
Has ANYBODY gotten any money back for a motherboard that a Corsair PSU did ? They emailed me back on my RMA request, and now its a damage claim, and I might get money back on the x399 motherboard if the RM1000x killed it ! But I have my doubts that they will ever find in my favor. Anybody here ever get money from them on a damage claim ?
Well, it took a while, but I got my replacement Corsair RX1000x PSU and $280 CASH from Corsair today !!!

Kenmitch

Diamond Member
Oct 10, 1999
Well, it took a while, but I got my replacement Corsair RX1000x PSU and $280 CASH from Corsair today !!!

Nice. I've never had to deal with Corsair RMA, but it's nice to see they took care of you.

That $280 might cover 1/2 of your next power bill. /s or truth?

VirtualLarry

No Lifer
Aug 25, 2001
Wow, replacement PSU (expected), AND cash to cover (at least part of) the dead mobo's cost? That's pretty decent of them. Glad that you pursued that route. I generally don't even bother to RMA stuff, but then again, I (mostly) just buy budget stuff (not worth time+effort+money RMA'ing), and refurbs, that don't have much/any warranty.

Shmee

Memory & Storage, Graphics Cards Mod Elite Member
Super Moderator
Sep 13, 2008
Good stuff Mark. Glad to hear that Corsair was helpful and that this fixed the problem. Were you able to RMA the motherboard to ASRock as well?

Massive79

Sep 16, 2004
Most current motherboard doesn't have buzzer alarm but provide a debug led for troubleshooting.
I always keep an alarm buzzer, since I really enjoying the sound of beep when your system went post, and can directly show what went wrong with the beep :)

Reactions: Magic Carpet