Question x399 Taichi/2970wx problem.

Markfw

Moderator Emeritus, Elite Member
May 16, 2002
This is odd. So my computers just run 24/7@100% if you know me, then you would know this. Well, none of my systems are overclocked. So now the problem.

The 2970wx on a x399 Taichi just shut down one day. Well, based on my 3900x problem, I thought "just unplug the power supply, wait a few hours and plug it back in". Well, that didn't work. So then I changed power supplies. No change. And what is odd,, the USB ports work ! And the lights on the motherboard (breathing I think they call it) work also. And I tried the power on button on the motherboard, no CPU fans, no video. Then I tyook out the CMOS batterry (overnight) still no change.

Ideas ? Its rare for a motherboard to die, but that has to be it.

Reactions: Drazick

Vixis Rei

Jul 4, 2020
So far it sounds like the motherboard. To test for certain, have you tried the CPU in another motherboard yet?

I had a similar issue with a motherboard of mines a few years ago. mines would even get to the bios but would shutdown instantly once i left bios. This happened to me twice overall. My issues was that my power supply kept killing my motherboards and leaving them in that state. Same thing as yours. Lights on the motherboard, usb worked, and i could hear my external HDD activate for a split second, but nothing would boot up.

Markfw

May 16, 2002
So far it sounds like the motherboard. To test for certain, have you tried the CPU in another motherboard yet?

I had a similar issue with a motherboard of mines a few years ago. mines would even get to the bios but would shutdown instantly once i left bios. This happened to me twice overall. My issues was that my power supply kept killing my motherboards and leaving them in that state. Same thing as yours. Lights on the motherboard, usb worked, and i could hear my external HDD activate for a split second, but nothing would boot up.
That is a possibility , but for socket TR4, its a lot of work, and the odds of a CPU dying are remote.

Hitman928

Diamond Member
Apr 15, 2012
Most modern boards will give coded beeps if there is a fundamental issue with a core component (CPU, memory, etc). I would check the motherboard manual in the FAQ or troubleshoot sections to see if it gives info on this.

I know you may not be able to hear the beeps but you could record the computer when it first turns on and upload it to Youtube so we could listen for any such beeps and let you know.

Edit: did you try switching video cards as well? Strip down to 1 card you know is good from another computer and see if that fixes it.

Markfw

May 16, 2002
Most modern boards will give coded beeps if there is a fundamental issue with a core component (CPU, memory, etc). I would check the motherboard manual in the FAQ or troubleshoot sections to see if it gives info on this.

I know you may not be able to hear the beeps but you could record the computer when it first turns on and upload it to Youtube so we could listen for any such beeps and let you know.

Edit: did you try switching video cards as well? Strip down to 1 card you know is good from another computer and see if that fixes it.
I tried video cards. It also has an LED panel, but its dark, never lights up.

As far as beeps, I am deaf, so thats no good. If I knew how to make a youtube video, that would be a good idea. Or will a phones video capture allow a link and playback ??

Hitman928

Diamond Member
Apr 15, 2012
I tried video cards. It also has an LED panel, but its dark, never lights up.

As far as beeps, I am deaf, so thats no good. If I knew how to make a youtube video, that would be a good idea. Or will a phones video capture allow a link and playback ??

If the LED panel never lights up then it definitely seems like the MB is gone. Additionally, if it has an LED panel then usually that is used for error codes instead of beeps, but sometimes they have both. You could do a phone capture but you'd still have to upload it somewhere for sharing. Google drive or youtube or something. Seems like the MB at this point to me though.

Hitman928

Diamond Member
Apr 15, 2012
I checked the manual, the LED panel is used for error code messaging, no beep codes. Sounds like the MB is toast unless anyone else has other ideas.

Yeroon

Mar 19, 2017
Have you given the board a visual inspection for any evidence of a component gone bad? Vrm area is likely hidden by heatsinks, though the back of the board might show something here if it went really bad.
I'm guessing if it smelled like the angry pixies escaped somewhere this wouldn't be much of a mystery.

Edit: Before you completely tear it apart, try it with only its core components (cpu, cooler, ram)
I've had bad drives cause hangup at bios load, as well a gpu today that was fine when I removed it, wouldn't load the bios when I re-installed it.

Magic Carpet

Diamond Member
Oct 2, 2011
That said, it says if it turned solid green, the flashback is not operating properly. Another indicator that the motherboard is dead.
Likely a problem within power circuitry, but without a multimeter/datasheet it’s hard to say. Since you noticed no smell, some fail-safe must have triggered to prevent further damage. Could be a cheap-o-fix at your local repair shop.

Last edited:

Markfw

May 16, 2002
So, not sure about the CPU, but PSU is garbage, and likely took out the motherboard. Corsair RM1000x The rest of the system I am typing from, on a Xeon 14 core.

Markfw

May 16, 2002
Markfw,

For your application, I can strongly recommend Seasonic. This one, will last you.
I got this one with a 10 year warranty. Gold rated.

Vixis Rei

Jul 4, 2020
Glad you found out the issue was the PSU before throwing another motherboard to the wolves. Do you have a warranty on the motherboard or going to buy a different one?

I'm sure your CPU is fine anyway. It's hard to kill them nowadays.

Markfw

May 16, 2002
Glad you found out the issue was the PSU before throwing another motherboard to the wolves. Do you have a warranty on the motherboard or going to buy a different one?

I'm sure your CPU is fine anyway. It's hard to kill them nowadays.
Even if it had a warranty, I am sure the PSU killing it would viod it. I am not buying any more Corsair PSU's. That is the 5th one in a year to die.

Magic Carpet

Diamond Member
Oct 2, 2011
Mark,

I am not familiar with this one, however, Corsair PSUs historically have been a hit or miss for me, because they use different designs every time. Your load, most likely didn't even exceed 80% of its total capacity, so it must be overall quality of its components. Really bad luck, I feel you. How long had it been in service, by the way?

Markfw

May 16, 2002
Mark,

I am not familiar with this one, however, Corsair PSUs historically have been a hit or miss for me, because they use different designs every time. Your load, most likely didn't even exceed 80% of its total capacity, so it must be overall quality of its components. Really bad luck, I feel you. How long had it been in service, by the way?
The only one I can find in history was 1/10/2017 or 3 1/2 years.

And I just looked it up. Its gfot a 10 year warranty ! The motherboard may be a loss, but maybe I can get an RMA !

JasonLD

Aug 22, 2017
I stopped recommending Corsair PSU for any new builds for my friends for a while. My EVGA Supernova 1300 went through 4 upgrades in 7 years and still running strong, so I can certainly vouch for that

Magic Carpet

Diamond Member
Oct 2, 2011
The only one I can find in history was 1/10/2017 or 3 1/2 years.

And I just looked it up. Its gfot a 10 year warranty ! The motherboard may be a loss, but maybe I can get an RMA !
Still... three and a half years of non-stop operation on a consumer grade psu, I agree is bad, but not exactly terrible by any means, that's what the extended warranty is for, I guess. It works out for Corsair quite nicely though, since maybe 99% of their customers aren't folding 24/7. Hopefully, you can quickly RMA and get everything replaced as soon as :)

Markfw

May 16, 2002
Still... three and a half years of non-stop operation on a consumer grade psu, I agree is bad, but not exactly terrible by any means, that's what the extended warranty is for, I guess. It works out for Corsair quite nicely though, since maybe 99% of their customers aren't folding 24/7. Hopefully, you can quickly RMA and get everything replaced as soon as :)
I have 2 EVGA on the way, one with a 10 year and one with a 5 year warranty. I would have gotten 2 10 year, but newegg and Amazon were inflated prices, and EVGA says one to a household, so I had to get 2 different models. Almost everything everywhere for PSU's is OOS, or highly inflated prices.

DrMrLordX

Lifer
Apr 27, 2000
Careful, EVGA has abandoned SuperFlower as their OEM and is using inferior builds now, so if it isn't a G2, G3, or P2 then it's hard to vouch for its quality. Not to say it won't work, it's just that the older Leadex units are fundamentally better than anything they've produced since then. Buying PSUs right now is a big pain in the arse.

eek2121

Platinum Member
Aug 2, 2005
Mark,

Hah, that's interesting, because I can't seem to kill a corsair PSU. They've all lasted forever for me. I guess we all have different experiences. :)

The biggest thing that will kill a PSU is a constant high load and corresponding high temps.

That being said, good luck Mark. I hope you get your issue sorted.

Markfw

May 16, 2002
Hah, that's interesting, because I can't seem to kill a corsair PSU. They've all lasted forever for me. I guess we all have different experiences. :)

The biggest thing that will kill a PSU is a constant high load and corresponding high temps.

That being said, good luck Mark. I hope you get your issue sorted.
Has ANYBODY gotten any money back for a motherboard that a Corsair PSU did ? They emailed me back on my RMA request, and now its a damage claim, and I might get money back on the x399 motherboard if the RM1000x killed it ! But I have my doubts that they will ever find in my favor. Anybody here ever get money from them on a damage claim ?