X370 Boards

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

EXCellR8

Diamond Member
Sep 1, 2010
lol unreal... my auto-notify didn't even work i just happened to check

payment was already charged but that could mean anything

EXCellR8

Diamond Member
Sep 1, 2010
I was, no word of a lie, considering selling off the 1700 just seconds before checking the Newegg stock... whether one actually ships out is another dilemma altogether, so no celebrating yet

Malogeek

Golden Member
Mar 5, 2017
yaktribe.org
I posted these links in the Ryzen builders thread. General consensus is that x370 from Asrock, Gigabyte, Asus, and Biostar GT7 all have top notch power designs and components. MSI is using substandard Niko-Semi components even on their Titanium board. Avoid MSI completely.

http://www.overclock.net/t/1624051
https://www.hardwareluxx.de/community/f12/am4-mainboard-vrm-liste-1155146.html
Interesting that my ASUS X370-Pro seems to be one of the better phase designs for the mid-range boards. 6+2 nice mosfets whereas the CH6 is using 4+2 with doubling.

ux12

Mar 3, 2017
I posted these links in the Ryzen builders thread. General consensus is that x370 from Asrock, Gigabyte, Asus, and Biostar GT7 all have top notch power designs and components. MSI is using substandard Niko-Semi components even on their Titanium board. Avoid MSI completely.

http://www.overclock.net/t/1624051
https://www.hardwareluxx.de/community/f12/am4-mainboard-vrm-liste-1155146.html
What times we live in! Biostar's top being better than MSI?
Jokes aside, I really think people don't give biostar enough credit or consideration.
Granted I've never used anything other than their budget boards, I've never once had a problem.
Can't say the same about MSI unfortunately.

EXCellR8

Diamond Member
Sep 1, 2010
I couldn't find any reliable VRM info on the one I ordered... but considering I no longer do a ton of overclocking I'm not really that worried.

Every manufacturer, despite where they are in China/Taiwan, cut corners somewhere... and by the time AM4+ rolls out we won't even be talking about the current selection anymore.

IEC

Elite Member
Super Moderator
Jun 10, 2004
IMO having used the Asus Crosshair VI Hero, ASRock Taichi, Gigabyte Gaming K7, Gigabyte Gaming 3, and MSI B350M Gaming Pro... they all have their quirks and characteristics

Overall for the high end I like the Taichi the best, and it being as low as $175 after rebate/review bonus also makes it the best bang for the buck high end board.
Asus Crosshair VI Hero is leading the pack in overclocking/performance now that their early BIOS issues are behind them. It's not a good value at $255 though.
Gigabyte Gaming boards are behind in BIOS support. You need to accept the risks of running beta BIOSes to get the most of them, and they have really weird OC/memory quirks/hacks.
The B350 boards shouldn't be a focus if you plan to overclock past 3.7-3.8GHz. You don't want to run more than 1.3V through the CPU 24/7 because those VRMs get HOT when you go past 1.3V. If you want to chase the absolute top OCs, get a X370 board with decent VRMs.

Reactions: DooKey and Malogeek

Topweasel

Diamond Member
Oct 19, 2000
I forgot about EVGA when I said that and their z87/z97 ftw boards were just plain horrible for me. I almost always prefer Asus and Gigabyte, however for AM4 I think that Gigabyte and Asrock are the best products right now.
EVGA made a total of one good board. Overall I don't know what got into the heads of reasonable tech like people to think that buying an EVGA board was a good idea. Them releasing a total of one board per chip-set, no BIOS updates, and honestly an almost Intel like BIOS options list should have clued people in that it wasn't really an EVGA board but a board they had built for them and they were just using their name to enter a market they had never competed in before. The PSU was fine because none of the "brands" actually make theirs and we knew who was making them and they didn't need FW updates. So why get an overpriced board from a company that hadn't made boards before, when you have Asus, Gigabyte, MSI, and even ECS and Biostar who have been in the market for decades? Even Asrock, you know their origins.

Uhtrinity

Platinum Member
Dec 21, 2003
What would you all say the current failure rate is on boards? How many have dealt with the no post issues?

I picked up a new boxed Ryzen 1700, some Mushkin Redline 2666 DDR4 ram. The first board was a Biostar X370GT5, the second was a Asrock x370 killer sli/ac. Neither board will post or generate a post beep with our without memory. They start just fine, but do nothing other than show off pretty leds (none of which were diagnostic) and spin up the fans. The Asrock will restart about every 45 seconds. Tried multiple PCIe video cards and multiple power supplies. Cleared cmos, pulled the cmos battery, reseated the cpu ... nothing. From what I have been reading the no post thing comes up a lot. Guess I could have a bad CPU, but this would only be the 2nd DOA cpu ever out of the thousands I have worked with.

I'm no newbie to this as I have been building and maintaining systems for over 25 years and frankly have not seen an AMD launch executed this badly.

dlerious

Golden Member
Mar 4, 2004
I don't see that Ram module listed in either boards QVL. Have you tried different modules?

CraptacularOne

Jan 12, 2009
None of the reviews have really been able to push ram past 3000 on any board so far.
You need to get RAM that has Samsung B die chips on it if you hope to get past 2933Mhz.

These are made with Samsung chips
https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820313712
https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820232530
https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820232407

I personally have a set of the Team Dark Pro running at 3200Mhz on my MSI X370 Krait.

Uhtrinity

Platinum Member
Dec 21, 2003
How long did you wait? Your first post could actually take a minute or two.

Left both boards running for over 15 minutes, I had read about some time related issues. Doubt it would help with the Asrock board as it would cycle about every 45 seconds, but still let it do it for over 15 minutes.

Memory should not have been an issue even if it was bad, still should get a post error beep of some kind. I used Mushkin redline 8GB single sided 2666 simms. My speed goal was for the rating of the memory itself, but had read that they did fine at rated speed on most Ryzen boards. Not sure if they have Samsung chips or not, but at this time I would be happy with a functioning system.

Seeing about 10% of the reviews mentioning non posting boards, but no open box deals. I'm personally thinking that Newegg is sending out open box boards as new. Both boxes looked new, but there were small things like manuals with bent corners, little smudges on the boards. The bags containing the motherboards also have no tape or seals, wondering if they look good, they are simply restocking them hoping that some newb didn't know what they were doing.

MadOver

Sep 1, 2016
Pretty happy with the X370 Fatal1ty, shares the same hardware and design as Taichi but adds the 5Gb intel lan and I love the red color scheme. :D