X2 3800+@2.55 vs 820D@3.5 Impressions and benchmarks ! ** Update, encoding bench results in **

Markfw

Moderator Emeritus, Elite Member
May 16, 2002
OK, so when I saw the 820D @ ~150 on ebay, I thought WTF, can they be that bad ? So I got one to compare to my 3800+. I knew they were hotter, and I wanted to give the 820D evey chance, so I got the Big typhoon cooler, argueably the best air cooling today, and I can tell you it dwarfs the XP90 ! Next, they both are running windows 2000 SP4 with all the patches, both with Mcafee Enterprise 8, and microsoft antispyware. Also, both are using PCI (not express, the dinosaurs) 2 meg video cards (no video benchmarks here!) Also, the 3800+ is using an Antec 380 true power PSU, and the 820D is using a Fortron 450, so again, it has more power, and more cooling. Both are OC'ed using about one hour of time and not the max OC. Procedure was pump volts and speed until superpi failed, go down 5 on the FSB (3 for the X2). This all assumes temps under 60c.

Impressions:
The 820 was a lot harder to OC(reboots at different speeds, one time it works, then it doesn't), very tempermental and exhibits strange behavior. When running 2xF@H, sometimes the cpu usage isn't even at 100%, goes all over the place like in the THG test showed at times. My first real bench was from 98% to 99% on the same F@H unit on core1. The X2 did it in 6 min 38, and the 820D did it in ~25 minutes !!! WTF !??? (exact same work units copied from the 3800+ hard drive)

Superpi:
820D 1:49
3800+ 1:34

Temps in the same room ~72f amient: (remember, the 820D has that Big typhoon monster on it, and 2 80mm fans and the fortron higher speed PSU fan, VS one very slow 120mm fan and the slower fan in the 380 true power)
820D 39cmb/ 56C cpu
3800+ 28c mb / 46C cpu

Power usage: I defer to the other post that shows that 820 takes more than 50% more power to run

I will be benching more in the next few days, post what benches you want if I can do them, and I will. Bottom line right now ? Even forgetting the excessive power and heat the 820 puts out, the unusual behavior and really bad benchmarks confirm all I suspected by reading. I haven't decided what to do with this box yet, but unless I can work out these bugs (which the 3800+ did NOT have) I will dump it on some un-supecting fool like myself when I got it on ebay.

THEY ARE CHEAP FOR A DARN GOOD REASON !!!!!!

Hacp

Lifer
Jun 8, 2005
Of course an x2 3800+ @ 2.55 is going to beat the 3.5 PD. Do you expect a 3.4 Pentium TO beat an FX-55????

Markfw

May 16, 2002
Originally posted by: Hacp
Of course an x2 3800+ @ 2.55 is going to beat the 3.5 PD. Do you expect a 3.4 Pentium TO beat an FX-55????

I knew it would beat it based on published benchmarks. I didn't expect all the "abnormalities" and in real life usage (the F@H test) 4 times worse performance ? This is what I wanted to see, a real life side by side comparison. And its not all the benchmarks show, its WORSE ! Bugs in the X2 ? I say bugs in the 820D !!!!!

Markfw

May 16, 2002
Originally posted by: theman
i think the fact that the the PD didnt overclock well is enough for me.

Maybe I'm an AMD person, but isn't 700 mhz vs 550 mhz still pretty decent ? Not as good, but still......Not a POS OC'er, thats not my problem, its all the other problems.

n7

Elite Member
Jan 4, 2004
Awesomeness :D

This is something i'd been hoping to see for a long time, mostly so i can mark it & show it to n00bs who come it later :D

So basically, the P-D runs 10C hotter, & that's with better cooling, so i'm guessing it's actually about 13C higher!

Outrageous power consumption, uber-high temps :p, & poor performance!

Now who wants one! :D:laugh:

Hacp

Lifer
Jun 8, 2005
I wonder if the new ceder mill cores will improve overclocking performance/ reduce heat enough.

Markfw

May 16, 2002
Originally posted by: n7
Awesomeness :D

This is something i'd been hoping to see for a long time, mostly so i can mark it & show it to n00bs who come it later :D

So basically, the P-D runs 10C hotter, & that's with better cooling, so i'm guessing it's actually about 13C higher!

Outrageous power consumption, uber-high temps :p, & poor performance!

Now who wants one! :D:laugh:

Exactly my point. And I hope Duvie can come over to point out any place I forgot to make a more even comparison. I may have saved some on the CPU, but I am already out at least $30 more on cooling not to mention the power consumption, and in the summer the heat will be killer on the AC bill ! I actually hoped to find something good here, but so far, I can't. Even a good F@H box that took a little more power, but I don't think I even have that !

BTW, the 3800+ is at 1.475 actual vcore, and the 820D is at 1.4 vcore (1.3 was stock) but when I went up higher on vcore, it wouldn't boot reliably even at only a few mhz more, and the temps started to skyrocket ! (47c idle )

mechBgon

Super Moderator<br>Elite Member
Oct 31, 1999
Friday... payday... must resist... :confused:

How about...

1) install a trial version of Adobe Premiere Elements

2) capture a whole 90-minute miniDV tape from camcorder, if you have one

3) time how long it takes Premiere Elements to encode the 90 minutes of video and burn it to DVD.

I guess I see one drawback there, Premiere Elements is a WinXP-only software. Well anyway, it's something I'd be interested to see, if anyone can do a comparison. I believe Premiere Elements is somewhat multiprocessor-aware. At work, my A64 3000+ typically runs about ~3 hours on this task, and I'd sure like to knock that down a bit (and have better system useability during the process).

Update: I see that the new 2.0 version requires SSE2, thus the A64 or Opteron is a requirement for an AMD rig :shocked: And not just WinXP, but WinXP with SP2. Adobe doesn't box with the gloves on, do they! :Q

Pabster

Lifer
Apr 15, 2001
Looks like the 820D might make a cheap space heater to combat high natural gas prices this winter. I'm in for a pair :D

n7

Elite Member
Jan 4, 2004
One thing i can say about my X2 (which is clocked at the same speed as my Venice was) is that it is sweet for encoding.

I don't have a camcorder, so i can't help you out Mechbgon, but i know with DVD-RB & CCE (what i use to re-encode DVD9s to DVD5s), it takes half the time to do, since the program is rather obviously multithreaded.

Duvie made a thread about testing some video encoding out with X2 vs. P-D, but no P-D users responded, cause i think almost no one here has one :p

mechBgon

Oct 31, 1999
Originally posted by: n7
One thing i can say about my X2 (which is clocked at the same speed as my Venice was) is that it is sweet for encoding.

I don't have a camcorder, so i can't help you out Mechbgon, but i know with DVD-RB & CCE (what i use to re-encode DVD9s to DVD5s), it takes half the time to do, since the program is rather obviously multithreaded.

Duvie made a thread about testing some video encoding out with X2 vs. P-D, but no P-D users responded, cause i think almost no one here has one :p
OMG you're making me drool! :Q Errrrrghhhh... *begins scribbling short-range budget projections on back of an envelope*

Markfw

May 16, 2002
Crystalmark score on the 820D
820D @ 3.5 = 40,409
15,715 alu,
16664 fpu,
8527 mem

3800+@2.55 :48,544
18,943 alu,
21,950 fpu,
7651 mem

Both in single channel mode, 512 meg, but the 820@667DDR, and the 3800@~390DDR 2T

Mech, I do have a Pinnacle9 capture card I could install and plug in. Then I could capture some video and encode maybe. Or Duvie can help me setup a test. Both boxes are side by side. I will look into it.

Markfw

May 16, 2002
Mech, I could install XP Pro in a dual-boot config I guess, but how to I encode without a digital DV camcorder ? The Pinnacle studio card may work, but I may need weeks to set this all up and benchmark. (I have a busy work schedule, that how I can afford this crap)

mechBgon

Oct 31, 1999
The thing about Adobe's software is that it does a squish-to-fit thing, basically it captures at full digital glory (not converting to MPEGanything on the fly), then it uses that 15-20GB .AVI file as the basis for whatever it is I want done next. In my case, that is to squish 93 minutes of video onto a standard DVD+R disc, de-noising/boosting/notch-filtering the audio along the way, and have it come out at maximum feasible quality.

I know Adobe's way isn't the most efficient for simply capturing the video. I could hitch the HandyCam up to a Hauppage PVR-150 and have it hardware-convert to MPEG2 on-the-fly (heh, there's another item on my shopping list). But the audio editing and squish-to-fit of Premiere Elements has been beneficial. Maybe I could hybridize the two techniques. Premiere Elements 1.0 WILL NOT capture from anything but a digital source, so it's Firewire or nothin'.

n7

Elite Member
Jan 4, 2004
I think re-encoding a movie would be an easier test.

Just rip a DVD to HDD (on both systems), & then using DVD Shrink (way easier to setup use than the proggies i use), re-encode to DVD5.

Time each one to see which is faster.

stevty2889

Diamond Member
Dec 13, 2003
Pentium 4's suffer a lot more from single channel than A64's so I imagine it's even more so for the pentium-d. It'll still likely be pretty far behind the X2, but once you have it running with dual channel, it's performance should increase by at least 10-20%.

Just from adding a second stick of ram to my friends P4(512mb to 2x512mb) and putting it in dual channel, with his integrated intel graphics, games went from slow jerky and unplayable, to smooth and fast at higher resolutions.

Markfw

May 16, 2002
I have another stick of mem due in tomorrow for the 820D (OCZ PC5400 DDR2 4-4-8) so I will do the tests, and leave the 3800+ at 2T ans single channel. So if I have an AVI file, I can use adobe on it ? Pinnacle allows AVI as an output or capure (I forget, not a videophile)

mechBgon

Oct 31, 1999
Yeah, Adobe does allow importing .AVI's and other video files that you've got on your HDD, it's the capture part where it insists on Firewire input. Once you get it fired up, hit Edit on the top horizontal bar and then there should be an Add Media button that'll let you add video files. :cool: pic of the Premiere Elements 1.0 interface for reference

Markfw

May 16, 2002
mech. I have a home video of my sons school play annie. I figure I can capture on my 3000+ winchester@2.2, then copy the avi to the other two. But I have to do TWO XP dual-boot installs, and then install adobe. May take a while. stay tuned. This is what I really want to bench !

DrMrLordX

Lifer
Apr 27, 2000
Thanks for all the benching Mark. It's beginning to look like water cooling, or better, is a requirement for anyone seriously looking to get performance out of the Pentium D, and that kind of setup sort of kills the value element of the chip.

It is possible that the odd behavior you're noticing is due to the chip being a dud, and given the fact that you got it off eBay . . . well actually, there's no way for us to know without the seller adding more info.

Given how many 820Ds are selling on eBay, if yours is a dud, they may be many, many more.

Markfw

May 16, 2002
I can do that when I get home tonight. I took pics, but didn;t upload them.

Pabster

Lifer
Apr 15, 2001
I'd be more interested in DVD9->DVD5 conversion results than DivX crap. But that's just IMHO :D