X1900XT problems, artifacts, lockup etc..

yepp

Jul 30, 2006
Hi,

I have a HIS X1900XT IceQ 3, possibly faulty. Bought it back from Hong Kong to the UK, got a sweet deal on it.

First time i installed it i notice artifacts(fuzzy letters) on post/bootup and also when i entered the bios screen. This went away after a couple of resets and my system has been running fine for 3 weeks but for a few cold boots where my system doesn't even get to the post screen. When this happens i have to kill the power from my PSU power switch, then it boots up again with no problems.

Been playing Oblivion fine, overclocked it once or twice to XTX speeds.

Problems started occuring a few days ago while loading up Oblivion, from no where artifacts started popping up everyway on the Oblivion title screen. I notice this only happens when the card enters 3D mode so i couldn't game. Artifacts would occur straight away once in 3D mode. Then it got worse as it started to artifact in windows, then on bootup (similar to when i first installed it). It got even worse with system lockups, when this happens the screen sometimes goes black. This can lead to two outcomes, the whole system reboots or just the X1900XT reboot itself (recover?) or something as the fans spins 100% then goes back to default. When it does this im not sure if its the VPU recovery kicking in or not, since i don't have the ATI CCC installed and not sure if it works without ATI CCC. I use ATI Tray Tools instead. System lockups occur during artifacting this can happen either during games or windows/browsing etc...

Anyway call me an idiot, on my quest to solve these problems i accidently flashed the bios with ATIWinflash, i was suppose to click "save" and dump bios but clicked "program" instead. This didn't make matters better or worse as the same problem still exist like before. Its currently flashed with the Sapphire Bios. Anyone with a HIS X1900XT IceQ 3 bios please let me know if you could possibly upload it somewhere.

I've tried changing PSU from a NeoHE 550 to a Tagan 480-U01 but that didn't work, maybe both PSU are two weak? Heard bad things about the NeoHE 550. It could also be my motherboard, using a Gigabyte GA-K8NF-9 Ultra rev2.0(this motherboard is a lemon, doesn't boot up when HTT is over 210, but has no problems increasing HTT past 210 and beyond when using Clockgen in windows). Think the PCI bus doesn't stay lock on bootup.
I've flashed my motherboard to the latest Bios to try to limit any compatibility issues.

X1900XT temps, idles around 45c and loads around 80c, removed the heatsink and checked everything was intact, the card looked fine. So temp isn't the problem.

One thing that helped matters is too power on my PC without the PCI-E power cable connected to the X1900XT, i then let it beep a few times, power off, then insert the PCI-E cable back in, then power on again. This seems to totally cure the artifacting in 2D mode, but problem still persist in 3D. Also during 2D mode using ATITool 3D viewer can still cause full screen artifacts and lockups. Currently system is stable if i dont stress it with 3D applications.

CPU and memory worked fine in my previous AGP setup.

Current system specs:

Athlon 64 3000+ (Winchester)
2x512MB XMS3200C2PT
GA-K8NF-9 Ultra
HIS X1900XT IceQ 3
NeoHE 550

What do you guys think? Could it be a faulty X1900XT, motherboard compatibilty issues or a weak faulty PSU?

Im going to try purchase a Asrock 939Dual-Sata2 and a Thermaltake Purepower 250W Power Express PSU in 2-3 weeks to try and cancel out what is causing the problem, if it is the X1900XT im going to have to downgrade back to the 6800NU AGP. Really hope its either the PSU or the Mobo.

Vallybally

Oct 5, 2004
Wow I'm in such a similar configuration as this:

"Im going to try purchase a Asrock 939Dual-Sata2 and a Thermaltake Purepower 250W Power Express PSU in 2-3 weeks to try and cancel out what is causing the problem, if it is the X1900XT im going to have to downgrade back to the 6800NU AGP. Really hope its either the PSU or the Mobo."

Upgrading from a 6800nu AGP to the HIS X1900XT IceQ3 on my Asrock 939 Dual mobo (which has both AGP and PCI-Express). One thing to note, I read one guys review on newegg that this Asrock while saying 16x PCI-E, you should expect 10% or so less performance than most other boards. No clue where he gets that or if it's true tho, but it is a concern of mine anyways.... also I'm hoping my Antec TrueBlue 480w will suffice /sigh.

imported_Truenofan

Golden Member
May 6, 2005
i just noticed something funny bout my x1900xt, its downclocked, atitool is showing it at 500core 600memory....i know this aint stock, as soon as i bring it up to stock, it starts screwing up, so whats the stock settings on everything for the x1900xt, so i can turn it back up, im not sure if its my psu, but it should, ati tool is saying its getting 19.1amps, it should be enough for a single card, shouldnt it? if it aint, then im gonna buy a new psu next payday for me. if i can get a rapid answer for this, id be very greatful.

Vallybally

Oct 5, 2004
Actually from what I've read, 500/600 is perfectly fine that's just the default 2d speed. As soon as you launch a game or graphic intensive program, it should go to its rated 625/725(1450). Fear not.

imported_Truenofan

Golden Member
May 6, 2005
ahhh i could never figure out how to oc my cpu. forgot to mention. i plan on upping to a dual core for a short period of time...heh. also....it operates within safe temps while overclocked, drawing 30amps. 74C roughly.

yepp

Jul 30, 2006
Originally posted by: MegaWorks
Can you show us your voltage value plz.

Two instances where i just entered the oblivion title screen at 640 x 480, the first time i manage to get in and out of the oblivion title screen with no artifacts, second time it locked up with artifacts then VPU recovery took over, notice the amperage?:

http://img385.imageshack.us/img385/8007/x1900xt2be3.jpg

Went into oblivion title screen again straight after what happaned above, artifacts, this is what just happend when VPU recovery kicked in:

http://img417.imageshack.us/img417/2971/ahb4.jpg

Same instance as above, just before VPU recovery, amp seems very low compared to before:

http://img167.imageshack.us/img167/9657/bua4.jpg

Looks like theres a problem with my X1900XT not drawing enough power.

NeoHE 550 is actually certified by ATI to run a X1900XT, rated at 550W by Antec. With 3 +12 rails rated at 18 amps which Antecs rates provides a combined power draw of 504W, equals a combined amperage of 42 amps.

Originally posted by: Vallybally
One thing to note, I read one guys review on newegg that this Asrock while saying 16x PCI-E, you should expect 10% or so less performance than most other boards. No clue where he gets that or if it's true tho, but it is a concern of mine anyways....

I've looked at a couple of benchmarks on the 939Dual-Sata2, in same case it out performs the nForce4 boards. Where it takes a 10% hit is usually in openGL and its not really consistant across the board on all the reviews/benchmarks out there maybe its a driver, bios, or setup issue.

Originally posted by: inveterate
Get that winchester to 2.7g quick,, or u'll get bottled

My winchester is a terrible overclocker, only does 2.1GHz stable at 1.475v, feeding it more voltage doesn't help much. Will be getting a X2 soon.

Crafty35a

Feb 2, 2003
Originally posted by: gersson
RMA.

Agreed. I had very similar problems with an X850XT before, many suggested PSU problems, but it ended up being just a bad card. Mine wasn't reading very high temperatures either, it just seemed to be a bad apple. RMA that thing.

yepp

Jul 30, 2006
Hope i wouldn't have to RMA it, never RMA'ed before, i like to get a system up and running before i do so, means either getting a cheap PCI-E card to hold me over or get a AGP mobo.

Also i think its best if i flash it back to the original BIOS, but have to get hold of the HIS X1900XT IceQ 3 Bios ASAP.

I just switch the modular output socket of the power PCI-E cable to another socket on the PSU and for a few good minutes its was 3D gaming stable usually it would artifact and lockup straight away, im leaning to the fact the PSU just isn't up to the job.

Im not sure about other X1900XT/X users but do you get alot of fluctuation in amperage under load? Example during oblivion, started getting artifacts after a few minutes at 1152 x 864 ultra high, it was artifact free at 640 x 480 ultra low:

http://img446.imageshack.us/img446/6724/12v2lm3.jpg

Caecus Veritas

Mar 20, 2006
quick question - never used ati tray tool but read that you need to specify the higher correct voltage value for it to work properly. have you checked if the settings in ati tool trays has not resetted recently?

EDIT: come to think of it... since you've noticed problems during bootup (you said artifacts in the initial post screen), i'm also leaning towards bad hardware... also, just to rule out other software possibilities maybe you can test using ati's ccc as well.

TheRyuu

Diamond Member
Dec 3, 2005
Originally posted by: YEPP
Hope i wouldn't have to RMA it, never RMA'ed before, i like to get a system up and running before i do so, means either getting a cheap PCI-E card to hold me over or get a AGP mobo.

Also i think its best if i flash it back to the original BIOS, but have to get hold of the HIS X1900XT IceQ 3 Bios ASAP.

I just switch the modular output socket of the power PCI-E cable to another socket on the PSU and for a few good minutes its was 3D gaming stable usually it would artifact and lockup straight away, im leaning to the fact the PSU just isn't up to the job.

Im not sure about other X1900XT/X users but do you get alot of fluctuation in amperage under load? Example during oblivion, started getting artifacts after a few minutes at 1152 x 864 ultra high, it was artifact free at 640 x 480 ultra low:

http://img446.imageshack.us/img446/6724/12v2lm3.jpg

Just RMA it and the problem might go away. WHATEVER YOU DO DON"T RMA IT WITH HIS. I heard there bad. See if you can RMA it through the place were you got it.

Also, don't try and play Oblivion at 640x480. It'll be increadibly CPU limited. And the PSU might be the issue cause I doubt the bios could do it.

Captante

Lifer
Oct 20, 2003
I can say with virtual certainty that the PSU isn't your problem unless its defective because I have two systems running HIS X1900XTX's (1 IceQ & 1 standard) using Neo 550HE's with RAID 0+1, 2gb's RAM & 2 x optical drives on Asus NForce 4 Ultra's and both are rock-solid.
Sounds like your card isn't getting proper voltage for some other reason, or maybe its overheating due to somthing else... I think an RMA is the best choice for you at this point.

yepp

Jul 30, 2006
Originally posted by: wizboy11
And the PSU might be the issue cause I doubt the bios could do it.

Originally posted by: Captante
I can say with virtual certainty that the PSU isn't your problem unless its defective...

You guys are right, turned out the PSU is defective, problem solved! Anyway im stearing well clear from Antec from now on. After the PCI-E power cable trick thing (im no electrcian but i guess there was bad current circulating on the X1900XT due to the faulty PSU and the PCI-E power cable trick may possible had helped clear it out) and after sticking in my old Tagan 480-U01 again, which is only rated at 28 amps on the +12 rail my system has been rock solid. No artifacts with ATI tool and solid amperage provided to my X1900XT. See pic:

http://img347.imageshack.us/img347/9360/w00tfl8.jpg

Read somewhere that there has been several revisions of the NeoHE 550 and the early versions were very poor, must have one of those.

Im still looking at the Thermaltake Purepower 250W Power Express PSU to help take the load off the Tagan 480-U01, since it doesn't meet the requirements for the X1900XT and im looking to upgrade to X2 soon.

Also very special thanks to BrokenVisage for providing me the HIS XT IceQ 3 bios.

BrokenVisage

Lifer
Jan 29, 2005
Originally posted by: Truenofan
got another problem, i just did a 3dmark06, whats the average score you guys get, cuz im only gettin mid 4000's
I got just under 5000 at stock speeds, haven't tried 06 with my OC settings yet but in the 05 test I get just over 11k! What is your CPU clocked at? I got my Winny @ 2.5Ghz.
Originally posted by: YUPP
Also very special thanks to BrokenVisage for providing me the HIS XT IceQ 3 bios.
No problem dude, let us know your 3dMark's and OC settings when you get everything working again.

inveterate

Golden Member
Mar 1, 2005
Yo man,, Winnies are WINNERS, I've worked with at least 4 of them, All of them did 2.7ghz.
2.5 is more common. but still.

If u never "Figured out how to OC" then getting a new proc won't help you. Because the A64s arn't that wonderful at Stock speeds. 2.5+ is sweet spot for them. Any more is just fo show really.. :)

yepp

Jul 30, 2006
Originally posted by: BrokenVisage
No problem dude, let us know your 3dMark's and OC settings when you get everything working again.

Got around 4600 in 06 with XT at stock, default driver settings and winnie at 2.1Ghz, for 05 it was around 9500, i know my CPU is holding it back, could maybe pull 200-400 more points if i set driver settings to performance, optimize etc...

Originally posted by: inveterate
If u never "Figured out how to OC" then getting a new proc won't help you. Because the A64s arn't that wonderful at Stock speeds. 2.5+ is sweet spot for them. Any more is just fo show really.. :)

Got a poor stepping on the winnie, its one of those that would barely break 2.4Ghz stuffing 1.65v down it.