X-Wing, Tie Fighter Are FINALLY Getting Digital Re-Releases

Page 4 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

xantub

Feb 12, 2014
I'd go for the $30 joystick in Amazon, but I'm a sucker for deals, and knowing it's been on $19.99 sale before, I'll wait a bit.
EDIT: CRAP! they just increased it from $29.99 to $34.99 the bastards! I wonder if GOG getting these games had anything to do with it (more demand -> higher price)

DeathReborn

Platinum Member
Oct 11, 2005

Fenixgoon

Lifer
Jun 30, 2003
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

it's the closest thing i could find to the original gravis pro joysticks, which IMO are unbeatable for this game.

the original 4/5 button FTW

Good choice. And I remember the classic Gravis you mentioned... mine even came with a couple free floppy-disk games like Commander Keen! :cool:

reporting back that the logitech X3D joystick works perfectly with tie fighter. the weighting of the stick is excellent and i can almost play the entire game from the joystick alone due to the number of buttons it has. absolutely fantastic and makes dogfighting much easier than on a gamepad.

Blue_Max

Diamond Member
Jul 7, 2011
reporting back that the logitech X3D joystick works perfectly with tie fighter. the weighting of the stick is excellent and i can almost play the entire game from the joystick alone due to the number of buttons it has. absolutely fantastic and makes dogfighting much easier than on a gamepad.

Awesome! You playing the new or "classic" version right now? The canned music of the new version still at least somewhat tied to the action?

Dahak

Diamond Member
Mar 2, 2000

Good to hear, I have been debating on getting that too and was just waiting for other people to be guinea pig :)

bononos

Diamond Member
Aug 21, 2011

I finished tie fighter using dosbox with kb and mouse. Shooting down tie advanced was hard.

hondaf17

Sep 25, 2005
What's the final verdict from those of that you purchased? Have you played through it? Works well? As fun as we all remember? Can you get to full 1080p resolution for modern monitors?

Revolution 11

Jun 2, 2011
I personally am a bit disappointed at the Tie Fighter, even though the fact that we got LucasArts games on GoG is great.

The reason is that I grew up playing the 1995 Collector's Edition. Which is completely different from the original 1994 DOS version (which had dynamic MIDI soundtrack) and the 1998 Collector's Edition which used a completely new engine but a fixed soundtrack (and I think the shading is rather ugly). GoG will give you the 1994 and the 1998 version, which is great for player choice.

But the 1995 DOS Collector's Edition version is missing. Why is this important? Because this is the only version that also has the best parts of the 1994 DOS version including the dynamic soundtrack but also has voice-overs and dialogue for all speaking characters and briefings.

There is a lot of confusion on the Internet about the different versions because the 1998 Collector's Edition was also called the 95 Collector's Edition because it runs on Windows 95. The only place that the 1995 DOS Collector's Edition existed was on the four game packs that LucasArts released during 1995 called the LucasArts Archives.

For reference, the X-Wing game also has a 1994 Collector's Edition with dynamic soundtrack and voice-overs which is missing from GoG. If you owned the LucasArts Archives in the mid 90s, your X-Wing and Tie Fighter versions were the 1994 and the 1995 Collector's Edition, respectively. Both are the missing versions from GoG.

There is a 10 page thread on this over on GoG forums. Link below for more details.

http://www.gog.com/forum/star_wars_tie_fighter_special_edition/wheres_the_collectors_cdrom_1995

Last edited:

Revolution 11

Jun 2, 2011
Here are the specific advantages of the X-Wing 1994 Collector's Edition and the Tie Fighter 1995 Collector's Edition games.

"640x480 version of the DOS CD graphics with the Win95 concourse and cutscenes.
The DOS CD version was only 320x240. (unlike the tie cd) "

User herecomethe2000 on pg 10 of the link mentioned in the post above.

Combined with the dynamic MIDI score of the original DOS games, clearly the best versions. Hopefully GoG provides these as well.

DeathReborn

Platinum Member
Oct 11, 2005
I must be the only one who actually turns the music off...

In most games I do as it is either bad, gives away what'sd coming up or is just annoying. None of these apply to this, it's a rarity like Carmageddon where the music actually improves the game somehow.

Blue_Max

Diamond Member
Jul 7, 2011
There is nothing wrong with it but it's just "Star Wars" music. I've been listening to it for 35+ years. I've heard it enough...

That's the appeal of the synthesized music in the original version. It wasn't the usual canned music - most of it was not only pure original (yet familiar) it was... alive. It's hard to accurately describe, but it changed and became more dramatic as the action changed... in the way canned music never, ever could.

I'd encourage you to give it a try IF you play the classic version.

ViRGE

Elite Member, Moderator Emeritus
Oct 9, 1999
Good news everyone!

The latest version of the dgVoodoo 2 D3D wrapper works with the XW/TF re-releases. This means that it's now possible to properly play these games with hardware acceleration on a modern Win7/8 machine.

Just combine dgVoodoo 2 with the hardware acceleration re-enable patch and you'll be set. It even supports MSAA (well really SSAA) to get rid of some more of the jaggies, if that's to your liking.

mizzou

Diamond Member
Jan 2, 2008
Good news everyone!

The latest version of the dgVoodoo 2 D3D wrapper works with the XW/TF re-releases. This means that it's now possible to properly play these games with hardware acceleration on a modern Win7/8 machine.

Just combine dgVoodoo 2 with the hardware acceleration re-enable patch and you'll be set. It even supports MSAA (well really SSAA) to get rid of some more of the jaggies, if that's to your liking.

Wait...can I use that to play old Win 95/98 PC games with less issues???

ViRGE

Oct 9, 1999
Wait...can I use that to play old Win 95/98 PC games with less issues???
It only supports a limited number of games so far. So you'd have to check the compatibility list and/or give it a shot.

Anteaus

Platinum Member
Oct 28, 2010
Good news everyone!

I'm confused. The current digital release is based on the X-Wing Collector Series which was released in the late 90s with...wait for it...direct3D support. I know this because I actually own the boxed version and it works with current 3D hardware with no wrappers. Is there a problem with the latest release that is preventing 3D acceleration?

I agree with the others. The original Collector's Editions are superior in every way except resolution and of course, 3D acceleration. I loved the context drive soundtrack, especially when I originally heard it through my AWE32. Fortunately for me I own both X-Wing and Tie Fighter Collector's Editions and they work fine in DOSBOX. Between that and replaying Quest of Glory I can get my nostalgia fix now and then. :)

Tie Fighter is still my favorite of the two. It was fun to follow the exploits of a lowly tie pilot and follow him to greatness. Maarek Stele is one of my favorite imperial characters who never got a chance to hit the mainstream.

ViRGE

Oct 9, 1999
I'm confused. The current digital release is based on the X-Wing Collector Series which was released in the late 90s with...wait for it...direct3D support. I know this because I actually own the boxed version and it works with current 3D hardware with no wrappers. Is there a problem with the latest release that is preventing 3D acceleration?
Hardware acceleration support has been disabled in the GoG release since it's more or less universally broken on modern computers. It doesn't work right on much past Windows XP.