X-Wing, Tie Fighter Are FINALLY Getting Digital Re-Releases

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Dahak

Diamond Member
Mar 2, 2000
So just a quick test,

Xwing 93 - Load and seems ok, slight delay at the beginning during into and stuff, loaded xwing training missing seemed ok

Tie 94 - Loads, but gfx screwed up. you can make it out bit they are all wrong

Xwing/Tie 98 -- cant test as do have gamepad or joystick(at all) handy at the moment

This in Win7 Pro full update, Radeon 7570M, i7-3250m.. Work Laptop

clok1966

Golden Member
Jul 6, 2004
So is this playable with a 360 controller? Or do I need to dig in the basement for my Thrustmaster?

i was wondering this myslef.. I still have a USB Saitek X45.. but its a bit clumsy to play with my current setup. a 360 controller.. map the shoulder buttons to power distro.. did this game have button mapping? or keyboard only for that stuff? MAN, its been so long since button mapping started to be normal, i cant remember the old games that didn't do it.

crownjules

Diamond Member
Jul 7, 2005
Meh. There's a website out there somewhere that has them both available to play. Not all that exciting to me as I've tried playing them and the blocky polygon graphics and 8-bit sound is a real detractor to me now. It would have been nice if they could have imported it into the X-Wing Alliance engine somehow.

BlitzPuppet

Platinum Member
Feb 4, 2012
are there any modern space dogfighting games like this? why did this genre die?

I'd say it's a combination of FPSs, MMOs, Consoles, and a combination of other things as well.

The Mid-late 90's (and super early 2000's) were awesome for sim fans.

I'm just glad they didn't go for X-wing vs Tiefighter first. I can't understand what everyone's hard-on for that game is as it didn't even have a single player campaign (that I can think of). Multiplayer? Sure but X-Wing Alliance did that better.

I miss those days!

Coalfax

Nov 22, 2002
Once they have all of them available, I would guess they will make a Star Wars Flight Bundle. X-Wing/Tie Fighter X-Wing Alliance all in one pack.

On the fence until I hear more about the graphical resolution and the possibility of using a gamepad (I just dont have a stick that is win7 compatible sadly...)

frowertr

Golden Member
Apr 17, 2010
I can't wait to get this when I get home today. Remember playing the first Xwing in '93 when it came out!

Possessed Freak

Diamond Member
Nov 4, 1999
I'm just glad they didn't go for X-wing vs Tiefighter first. I can't understand what everyone's hard-on for that game is as it didn't even have a single player campaign (that I can think of). Multiplayer? Sure but X-Wing Alliance did that better.
Because some of us like the concept of actual roles and having a dedicated player in charge of supremacy while having another doing intelligent bombing runs instead of horrible AI making predictable decisions again and again getting wiped out.

But, I guess if you had no friends...

ControlD

Diamond Member
Apr 25, 2005
Time to buy a joystick!

Yeah, I was just thinking that.

I have a joystick or two laying around but nothing with a USB connector on it. That's how long it has been since I needed one.

I predict a surge in USB joystick sales coming up.

VulgarDisplay

Diamond Member
Apr 3, 2009
I've been trying to pin down what made Tie Fighter so awesome way back when so I watched some videos of the game on Youtube.

I think Tie Fighter does something that no other game has done in history. You know you're the bad guy, but the game uses propaganda and skewing facts to make you feel like you're in fact a good guy. I think they really touches on something that most content creators are afraid to touch. A prime example of history would be the common German back in WW2. They mostly believed they were right, and the victors are the ones that dictate how they are historically viewed as villains.

It's a very complex bit of story telling for a video game and there has been nothing like it since, and probably never will be.

Sometimes it's good to be bad!

AyashiKaibutsu

Diamond Member
Jan 24, 2004
I've been trying to pin down what made Tie Fighter so awesome way back when so I watched some videos of the game on Youtube.

I think Tie Fighter does something that no other game has done in history. You know you're the bad guy, but the game uses propaganda and skewing facts to make you feel like you're in fact a good guy. I think they really touches on something that most content creators are afraid to touch. A prime example of history would be the common German back in WW2. They mostly believed they were right, and the victors are the ones that dictate how they are historically viewed as villains.

It's a very complex bit of story telling for a video game and there has been nothing like it since, and probably never will be.

Bullfrog studios would like a word with you...

kinev

Golden Member
Mar 28, 2005

That and the absolute badassery of starting out flying Tie Fighters and eventually getting Tie Defenders.

xantub

Feb 12, 2014

When Stars Wars Galaxies came out I made an imperial character, but I'm a roleplayer at heart, so it was hilarious trying to convince other people that I was with the good guys.

MajorMullet

Jul 29, 2004
Woo! Looks like it's time to take my Sidewinder Force Feedback 2 out of the closet! Tonight is going to be awesome.

waggy

No Lifer
Dec 14, 2000
GOD DAMNIT. i purchases these games years ago. I could never get them to work right on my new machine.

now i gotta spend another $10 each..fuck

frowertr

Golden Member
Apr 17, 2010
Can't seem to get it to go full screen but I guess that is just how it goes. The 98 version of Tie works with the Xbox controller, but I don't know how to re-map buttons.

BlitzPuppet

Platinum Member
Feb 4, 2012
Because some of us like the concept of actual roles and having a dedicated player in charge of supremacy while having another doing intelligent bombing runs instead of horrible AI making predictable decisions again and again getting wiped out.

But, I guess if you had no friends...

Lol...getting kids my age at the time of release to tactically play together in a multiplayer environment would be like herding cats.

That and none of my friends played flight sims/pc. It was all N64, PS, etc etc etc.

I played for the story that I had loved/grown up experiencing in TieFighter/Xwing. I remember playing the game and then going to draw pictures on paper of TIE fighters and stuff. Yeah, I was pretty cool :cool:

Anteaus

Platinum Member
Oct 28, 2010
I still read through my Tie Fighter manual and Strategy Guide on occasion. I like that they are written from Maarek Stele's point of view.

shortylickens

No Lifer
Jul 15, 2003
happydance.gif