X-Wing, Tie Fighter Are FINALLY Getting Digital Re-Releases

Fallen Kell

Diamond Member
Oct 9, 1999
HOLY CRAP I AM BUYING THEM! Just for the ease of installation, and being able to play on my current system.

Anteaus

Platinum Member
Oct 28, 2010
I'm excited. I wonder if this is a rerelease of the X-Wing Collectors Series which came out in 1998 and still works on Windows today. I actually own that one. It uses DirectX and the XWVTF engine which is good but they replaced the original menu screens in game with ones that weren't as good and they replaced the awesome dynamic midi soundtrack with tracks from the films. The gameplay itself is pretty much the same but the changes to the menus and soundtrack are quite apparent.

Either way it's great that GOG is releasing them, but I'm going to be a bit less excited if I find out they are the slightly less good Collector's Series versions.

Edit:

Nevermind. I guess I didn't read close enough. They are the special editions.

For that price you're getting not just the special editions of the games (which had slightly higher resolutions and improved sound, as well all of both games' expansions), but more importantly they'll be editions of the games that will run on a modern PC without the need to tinker

Last edited:

sweenish

Diamond Member
May 21, 2013
kotaku is retarded. It's gog.com. It doesn't stand for good old games anymore.

They re-branded last year, I believe.

mmntech

Lifer
Sep 20, 2007
I'm excited. I wonder if this is a rerelease of the X-Wing Collectors Series which came out in 1998 and still works on Windows today. I actually own that one.

Based on the screenshots IGN had, I think it is. It runs on the XvT engine and has textured graphics instead of gouraud shading. I have the same version as well. IIRC, I did have this version of TIE Fighter running okay on Windows 7 without much fuss.

Too bad it's not an HD remake. That would be awesome.

Anteaus

Platinum Member
Oct 28, 2010
I think the only problem with the original Collector's Series that I had was with controls, but that was solved with a replacement file. I might end up rebuying it anyway though. Tie fighter is one of my favorite games ever. I still have the floppy versions of both X-Wing and Tie Fighter. Tie Fighter really made my AWE32 sing. Ok, that might be the geekiest thing I've ever said. :)

Fenixgoon

Lifer
Jun 30, 2003
Based on the screenshots IGN had, I think it is. It runs on the XvT engine and has textured graphics instead of gouraud shading. I have the same version as well. IIRC, I did have this version of TIE Fighter running okay on Windows 7 without much fuss.

Too bad it's not an HD remake. That would be awesome.

i'll settle for the ability to blast rebel scum on a modern OS :)

dmoney1980

Platinum Member
Jan 17, 2008
One of the posters' response cracked me up:

"I remember the first time I figured out I could not only change my laser shot pattern, but also the orientation of my shields I was speechless for the next fifteen minutes. Then I found out you could change the Engines/Lasers/Shields levels, and wondered if I'd somehow peeked behind the curtain and seen the face of god."

source: http://kotaku.com/x-wing-tie-fighter-are-finally-getting-digital-re-rele-1651470045

lamedude

Golden Member
Jan 14, 2011
kotaku is retarded. It's gog.com. It doesn't stand for good old games anymore.
Good thing they didn't get Sonic instead. You would've lost it if they said Service Games' catalog coming to Good Old Games exclusive to American Telephone and Telegraph subscribers and only playable on Xbox Media Center.

Borealis7

Platinum Member
Oct 19, 2006
it doesn't have to be an HD remake, nVidia just enabled DSR on all their recent cards :)

Joeydubbs

Jun 11, 2008
I wasted a good portion of my youth on these games, totally awesome but I doubt these are palatable anymore. Origin was giving away wing commander 3 a few months ago and except for a bit of happy nostalgia, this game was not playable past a few missions. Old VGA graphics and a large flatpanel are not good. Maybe I would buy an HD remake but not this...man I loved Tie fighter...

clok1966

Golden Member
Jul 6, 2004
I wasted a good portion of my youth on these games, totally awesome but I doubt these are palatable anymore. Origin was giving away wing commander 3 a few months ago and except for a bit of happy nostalgia, this game was not playable past a few missions. Old VGA graphics and a large flatpanel are not good. Maybe I would buy an HD remake but not this...man I loved Tie fighter...

your sitting to close, a 360 controller a big screen tv and sit 15 feet from it, looks good, no not "current gen" but good. There are better on today's hardware (wc III scales pretty nice) but I think both Xwing and Tie fighter will do ok, they are shaded 3d objects, not sprites like WC and WCII. a Short few hours and somebody will be posting Youtube videos for you to judge.

mmntech

Lifer
Sep 20, 2007

TIE Fighter, like all early 3D games, looks dated but it definitely still holds up in the gameplay department. X-Wing may turn some people off due to the difficulty.

It's a damn shame they stopped making games like this. God, I remember beating TIE Fighter with just a mouse and keyboard. Joysticks are for wimps. ^_^

maevinj

Nov 20, 2004
Soooooo big question? Any big difference between the '94 version and the '98? I noticed that on the '94 you can use M-K/B but on '98 you're required to have a controller or joystick.
Also any good joysticks out there???

Homerboy

Lifer
Mar 1, 2000
So is this playable with a 360 controller? Or do I need to dig in the basement for my Thrustmaster?