X-UO players come in!!!!

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

James Bond

Diamond Member
Jan 21, 2005
Have you guys read up much on Darkfall? I honestly can't wait... it seems to have all of the stuff I loved from UO, and a bunch more.

Dec 27, 2001
Originally posted by: QuantumPion
I think housing only worked in UO in the beginning when the player base wasn't so large and the houses were so expensive only a few could afford them. Now days with more players per shard, less real estate, and grindaholics and gold farmers, real housing would be impractical. I do miss my fish tank made out of stacks of cloth though, hehe.

Yeah, housing was an interesting dynamic. It was so expensive initially that my first house was a tent and some people put guild stones on their small dragon ships. Eventually as gold supplies increased, they had to increase the price of houses. Inflation outstripped it, but increasing the price of housing would have made them inaccessible to newbies, so you ended up with slum lords who bought and sold real estate or owned dozens of houses. So they implemented the "one per account" rule. But by this point it was land and not houses that were in demand and soon all the collapsed houses were replaced. Then they opened up more spots by relaxing the placing rules and allowing small shrubs to be placed over. Soon those spots were taken. With Age of Shadows came huge expanses of wide open flat ground for houses upon houses and eventually it too was filled.

So I agree to an extent. I think everybody needed to be able to own a house as that was really part of the end game....storing things and selling things and decorating your house and whatnot. So many people kept their accounts alive SOLELY for the sake of refreshing their house once a week so they wouldn't collapse.

The problem is that you couldn't balance the price where it was attainable by newbies and still prohibitive for veterans. They needed apartments or something to bridge the gap and for houses and property to be sold seperately and increase in price along with the world's population of gold, etc to really strike a balance.

Ns1

No Lifer
Jun 17, 2001
played on PAC, left shortly after TRAMMEL

had a mage PK maxed out. I once accidentlly opened up my runebook, hit RECALL into the city instead of portal. I deleted the char shortly thereafter. Sad, sad day.

But yes, UO > *

darkeneddays

Jan 10, 2002
UO tried to force eveyone into one playstyle (PvP). I hated PvP and enjoyed crafting and PvE more, but there was no way to do either of those without learning to PvP first. Want to go mine? Better bring along some friends to watch your back as you dig around in a cave. Want to go kill some Earth Elems in Shame? Better bring along some friends to help. For the non-PvP lover, it was an exercise in frustration. Trammel was made with good intentions to correct a problem that the original UO team didn't think about: Not everyone wants to play the same way. Unfortunately, they were so anxious to get Trammel made that they didn't think ahead and the result was an all but barren Felucca and a monster influx of gold on the economy.(Now that PvErs didn't have to worry about the PvPers). Even though I looked forward to Trammel at the time, in the end it hurt the game more than it helped it. There was a reason Felucca was desolate though. When givin a choice as to what environment they would rather play in, the overwhelming majority chose an environment where they didn't have to worry about corpse runs and gankfests.

WoW took the right approach and has the servers set to PvP or PvE. If UO had taken this approach from the beginning, then things could have been so much easier. One of the downsides to being a pioneer is that you're going to make bad decisions because you have nothing else to study from. Every MMO since UO, has made sure to use all of UOs faults as a point of what NOT to do.

Btw, played Chesapeake from 98-02 :)

imported_OrSin

Jul 15, 2004
Never played UO but who or what is Trammel. And what happen or what did he do.
It funny to here people talk about him as devil but never what he did to get kicked out of heaven. :)

Engraver

Jun 5, 2007
They split each shard (server) into two sections. Trammel was the no pvp half, while Felucca was the anything goes part.

QuantumPion

Diamond Member
Jun 27, 2005
Originally posted by: darkeneddays
UO tried to force eveyone into one playstyle (PvP). I hated PvP and enjoyed crafting and PvE more, but there was no way to do either of those without learning to PvP first. Want to go mine? Better bring along some friends to watch your back as you dig around in a cave. Want to go kill some Earth Elems in Shame? Better bring along some friends to help. For the non-PvP lover, it was an exercise in frustration. Trammel was made with good intentions to correct a problem that the original UO team didn't think about: Not everyone wants to play the same way. Unfortunately, they were so anxious to get Trammel made that they didn't think ahead and the result was an all but barren Felucca and a monster influx of gold on the economy.(Now that PvErs didn't have to worry about the PvPers). Even though I looked forward to Trammel at the time, in the end it hurt the game more than it helped it. There was a reason Felucca was desolate though. When givin a choice as to what environment they would rather play in, the overwhelming majority chose an environment where they didn't have to worry about corpse runs and gankfests.

WoW took the right approach and has the servers set to PvP or PvE. If UO had taken this approach from the beginning, then things could have been so much easier. One of the downsides to being a pioneer is that you're going to make bad decisions because you have nothing else to study from. Every MMO since UO, has made sure to use all of UOs faults as a point of what NOT to do.

WoW is completely different though because there are 0 consequences of dying (other then at most a 3 min corpse run). In UO when you die you lose all your reagents, all your armor and weapons, your house, your boat, etc. Ah, good times.

darkeneddays

Jan 10, 2002

WoW is completely different though because there are 0 consequences of dying (other then at most a 3 min corpse run). In UO when you die you lose all your reagents, all your armor and weapons, your house, your boat, etc. Ah, good times.

True. It would have been nice to see WoW have a few PvP servers that had FFA looting. But it would result in the same effect that it had in UO. Noone would bother wearing anything of value. The UO PKs had it made with the Deathrobe + regsack combo.

Ns1

No Lifer
Jun 17, 2001

True. It would have been nice to see WoW have a few PvP servers that had FFA looting. But it would result in the same effect that it had in UO. Noone would bother wearing anything of value. The UO PKs had it made with the Deathrobe + regsack combo.

that's the beauty of it too; you can't have an uber weapon and walk around like a god cuz you WILL get ganked and you WILL lose it

I was in a chaos guild, we rode around down decked in full shadow armor + shadow heaters + katanas. For shts and giggles, I went around with a buckler of invul. It got broken by a mace =*(

speaking of which, can anybody recommend a free shard