X-Rays! They give me headaches!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dimmu

Jun 24, 2005
I had to take a few full body x-rays at the doctor for a spine/back problem that they wanted to check out. Now, I hadn't gotten an x-ray in a long time, and wow do those things give me headaches? Does anyone else have that happen? Also, when they take the x-ray it feels as if a wave of static pulses through me. As in my hairs stand up. What causes that, specifically?

Dimmu

Jun 24, 2005
Originally posted by: deftron
As long as you don't mind the cancer... the headache will go away

Headache...or cancer?...yeah, I think I'll take the cancer.

Dimmu

Jun 24, 2005
Originally posted by: HN
how do you know the headache is due to the xray?

Ok, so I do not know for sure that it's the x-rays that gave me the headache. It's just that I am not prone to getting headaches, I have a balanced diet, and I had the recommended amount of water today and recently. So I deduced from those reasons that it is most likely the x-rays.

HN

Diamond Member
Jan 19, 2001
Originally posted by: Dimmu

Ok, so I do not know for sure that it's the x-rays that gave me the headache. It's just that I am not prone to getting headaches, I have a balanced diet, and I had the recommended amount of water today and recently. So I deduced from those reasons that it is most likely the x-rays.
what's the word on the back problem itself? spine->nerves->brain->headache?

DnetMHZ

Diamond Member
Apr 10, 2001
I've had more x-rays than I can count in my lifetime and have never noticed anything like that.

rezinn

Platinum Member
Mar 30, 2004
You may be more sensitive to xrays than a normal person. You might want to talk to your doctor about it and avoid taking any more if possible.

Dimmu

Jun 24, 2005
Originally posted by: Dimmu

what's the word on the back problem itself? spine->nerves->brain->headache?

My spine is curved slightly. They just wanted to check up on it. I've been watching it for a while now. So it has nothing to do with the headache.

Dimmu

Jun 24, 2005
Originally posted by: rezinn
You may be more sensitive to xrays than a normal person. You might want to talk to your doctor about it and avoid taking any more if possible.

Is that possible? Being more sensitive to x-rays?

DaveSimmons

Elite Member
Aug 12, 2001
It's almost certain that your headache is stress (psychosomatic) or possibly from over-tensing your neck muscles.

Even a fatal dose of radiation is painless . . . for a little while.

evilmantis

Aug 15, 2002
Psychosomatic indeed. You wouldn't feel anything. Static pulses are discharges of electrons. X-rays are photons. MRIs can induce currents within the body (but they are very small... just a tingling, rarely to the level of painful), but this doesn't happen real often.

Headache was probably due to stress. There isn't any 'more sensitive to x-rays' with one exception: people who have a rare condition that causes radiation to cause dramatically more damage than on a normal person. However, if this were the case, you would know by now. You would burn with minimal sun exposure and be dealing with constant skin cancers.

Hope your headache is gone now :)

Goldie
--> medical physicist who works within radiation 40 hours per week at a radiation therapy clinic

EDIT: Unless, of course, your doc has a horribly miscalibrated unit. If this is the case though, you will know in a few days when your skin turns red and develops enormous blisters. Also, a headache caused by radiation would indicate a dose level that is fatal within a few hours -- basically it indicates that you have completely fried your brain and entire nervous system. You would also be unconscious or at least incoherent. Not to alarm you or anything....

lokiju

Lifer
May 29, 2003
My finance is a radiologist and she always tells me to avoid getting any x-rays if at all possible, I was in a wreck about two months ago and have since had 2 x-rays and one MRI on my lower back/spine and have not noticed any headaches related to these scans.

evilmantis

Aug 15, 2002
The increased risk of cancers from an x-ray really is minimal. The dose from a standard CT scan is significantly higher, but still, minimal increased risk. Risk/benefit analysis, I guess. While I am not going to say the fears are completely unfounded, I will say that they are exaggerated -- a chest x-ray will increase your risk by about 1/20000. It's really interesting when you realize how much extra dose you get just from normal things we do. Radon in the soil, radiation from flying across the country, etc. On the other hand, as a physicist, I do think that you should have a doc's rx before getting a CT scan... I don't agree with those radiologists and physicists out there buying a trailer and offering whole-body CT to anyone for a price. </sermon>

my two cents :)

Jim Douglas

Nov 17, 2017
Yes. I have no medical conditions and I never have headaches. I am 17 and male. I went to the dentist and got some x-rays and a panoramic of my teeth. Nothing big, but my upper jaw was slightly sore - nothing painful, though. Then, I went to the orthodontist and got a side-view x-ray of the whole head. The scan started at the front and moved toward the back over a period of about ten to twenty seconds. Within a minute or two I had a moderate headache that degraded linearly over the next twenty-four hours. My sister got the same scan and experienced no headache. A few days later, an oral surgeon took a 3D-scan of my jaw, which consisted of a series of x-rays taken at different angles, which is used to make a digital model of my jaw and teeth. No headache this time, although I had a slightly sore jaw again.

Yes, it's weird, and most people don't feel anything.

Jim Douglas

Nov 17, 2017
It's almost certain that your headache is stress (psychosomatic) or possibly from over-tensing your neck muscles.

Even a fatal dose of radiation is painless . . . for a little while.

A fatal dose of radiation is painless for most people, not everyone apparently.

UsandThem

Elite Member
May 4, 2000
While we're glad to have you here Jim Douglas, you responded to and bumped up an 11 year old thread.
Feel free to create a new thread on this subject.
Usandthem

Status
Not open for further replies.