WWYD if your child was gay?

Page 19 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

ShadowOfMyself

Diamond Member
Jun 22, 2006
Originally posted by: zinfamous
Originally posted by: irishScott
Originally posted by: 0roo0roo
what could you do? we don't have dna fixing machines or whatever yet.

Would you really need to fix him/her?

Anandtech Moderator hzl

IMHO gayness is an unnatural genetic defect in the most biologically possible sense. Gay people can't reproduce. Period. Thus, if all of the hetero people suddenly vanished, humanity would be dead as a species. This is the definition of unnatural.

That said, I don't believe gay people should be limited when it comes to marriage. Child-rearing, however, is another story. Straight children should not be raised by gay couples. As there is no definitive test for gayness yet, I don't think that gays should be allowed to raise kids. Other than that, they can do whatever they want as far as I'm concerned.

/flamesuit

whopping huge contradiction right there. it is biologiclaly possible, therefore it is indeed natural. I think you mean to suggest that it is evolutionarily unfavorable. to me, that makes sense. but you will find homosexual or simply "loose" sexual behavior thorughout the animal kingdom.

also, all fo the published data shows that gay couples are just as effective, if not moreso, at raising kids than are straight couples. When you look at these situations, the gay parents often provide far more stable households than do a straight couple with a horrible marriage. It seems the largest correlation to raising a stable child has to do with a solid example of a stable relationship in the form of the parents. Gay or straight simply doesn't matter.

you may have your opinion, but it runs counter to all of the available data.

Im gonna have to go with irishScott here... Not a homophobic or anything, but according to what you are saying, a baby born with a third arm is natural because he was born that way? Thats just not true

Shit happens, and people get born with defects, but the question is - should they be put aside because of those? I dont think so, rare doesnt equal bad, most of the times its actually the opposite ( I hold them equally in this case though)

soonerproud

Golden Member
Jun 30, 2007
Originally posted by: nakedfrog
Obviously gay parents would raise gay kids, since straight parents only raise straight kids, right?

*Sarcasm Alert*

Of course that must be the case because we all know that gay men recruit other members to be gay, right? Why they have whole recruiting departments all over the country dedicated to this. They sit between the Army and Marine recruiters in high school and college.

*End Sarcasm Alert*

moshquerade

No Lifer
Nov 1, 2001
Originally posted by: intogamer
Originally posted by: Platypus

Anandtech Moderator hzl

IMHO gayness is an unnatural genetic defect in the most biologically possible sense. Gay people can't reproduce. Period. Thus, if all of the hetero people suddenly vanished, humanity would be dead as a species. This is the definition of unnatural.

That said, I don't believe gay people should be limited when it comes to marriage. Child-rearing, however, is another story. Straight children should not be raised by gay couples. As there is no definitive test for gayness yet, I don't think that gays should be allowed to raise kids. Other than that, they can do whatever they want as far as I'm concerned.

/flamesuit

What the fuck? Gay people can't reproduce? Do their respective penises and vaginas fall off once they realize they're gay? Just because gay people choose not to reproduce doesn't mean they can't. How many thousands of children do you think have been born from relationships where the father repressed his true feelings. Do you know how many married men with children solicit gay sex? Your post is mind-fuck retarded and unbelievable.

And why shouldn't straight children be raised by gay people? Being gay is not something you will pick up from being raised in a gay environment. If that were true I'd be a devout catholic and go to church every sunday.. when I'm anything but.

People can turn gay then.. as I said before.

you're still a raging idiot. married dude was always gay. Plat's point is that gay men get married to women b/c of societal pressure. they go through "religious re-education" to turn them straight and cast out the gay demons. they aren't straight, never were and never will be. their marriages are disaster.

Platypus speaks the truth. I totally agree. In fact, I have a friend whose sister is a lesbian. Because of family/society pressures she married a man. She had 2 children whom she adores. She has an "arrangement' with her husband and stays with him for the children's sake and also because she comes from a family that doesn't believe in divorce. In the end though, she is still just a (non-practicing) homosexual.

JulesMaximus

No Lifer
Jul 3, 2003
Originally posted by: soonerproud
Originally posted by: JulesMaximus
Because he's a republican in the Bush assministration.

Wait a minute. I have a few points for you to consider before you label all Republicans anti-gay.

1. There is an entire wing of the Republican party called The Log Cabin Republicans that fully support gay rights. Yes, gay people can be Republicans. (And many are)

2. The Democrats record on gay right is not much better than the Republicans. Most of the Democrats in Congress voted for the Defense of Marriage Act and Bill Clinton signed it into law. The Dems talk a good talk when it comes to gay rights but balk when it comes to actually putting them into place.

3. There are openly gay members in the Bush White House staff.

Neither party has a stellar record when it comes to gay rights.

I'm not labeling all republicans anti-gay.

But why are those in the Bush administration so anti-gay in their agenda? Why are they ostracizing senator Craig for being gay? And clearly he is gay. Ted Haggerty had close ties to Bush ;) (I couldn't resist) until it became known that he was getting high and blowing dudes on the side...but supposedly he's better now. Yeah right...:roll:

Not that I have any personal experience, but I'd say that the gay community by and large is very liberal.

Edit-I've got to stop clicking on this thread...:laugh: I'm wasting far too much time on this.

soonerproud

Golden Member
Jun 30, 2007

But why are those in the Bush administration so anti-gay in their agenda? Why are they ostracizing senator Craig for being gay? And clearly he is gay. Ted Haggerty had close ties to Bush ;) (I couldn't resist) until it became known that he was getting high and blowing dudes on the side...but supposedly he's better now. Yeah right...:roll:

Not that I have any personal experience, but I'd say that the gay community by and large is very liberal.

Both Ted Haggart and Larry Craig broke the law and both still deny being gay. I would not stand beside them either regardless of their sexuality.

Bush caters to the religious right because it is politically expedient to do so. To be electable as a Republican (And Democrats in many parts of the country.) you have to get the conservative Christian vote. That does not mean that they truly believe in that part of the platform. Bush is by no means a Conservative in his real views. But he has to cater to his base to remain in office and receive support. It works the same way for the Dems.

ElFenix

Elite Member
Super Moderator
Mar 20, 2000
Obviously gay parents would raise gay kids, since straight parents only raise straight kids, right?

*Sarcasm Alert*

Of course that must be the case because we all know that gay men recruit other members to be gay, right? Why they have whole recruiting departments all over the country dedicated to this. They sit between the Army and Marine recruiters in high school and college.

*End Sarcasm Alert*

navy?

"the only traditions of the royal navy are rum, sodomy, and the lash" -winston churchill wished he'd said that

;)

JulesMaximus

No Lifer
Jul 3, 2003

Both Ted Haggart and Larry Craig broke the law and both still deny being gay.

Funny, I don't think any of the publicity in either case has focused much on the laws they broke but more their sexual preferences and neither of them did any time for these crimes.

Both deny being gay? BWAHAHAHAHAHA!!! If you're soliciting sex with male prostitutes and you're a man, I got news for you, you're gay! Clearly they are both in denial.

zinfamous

No Lifer
Jul 12, 2006
Originally posted by: TheFamilyMan
Originally posted by: glutenberg

Just because you're gay does not mean you can't reproduce. It's not as if we don't have in vitro fertilization.

w...t...f...

Did you completely sleep through sex-ed? Homosexuals CANNOT reproduce according to natural reproductive means. Homosexual = partnering with the same sex. Partnering with the same sex = no way to conceive children under current evolutionary constraints unless medical intervention is utilized in the form of test-tube, in-vitro with a third-party, et al. Since it takes 1 man and 1 woman, there would have to be women and men out there who just want to become breeding grounds and breeders so that homosexual couples can enjoy child-rearing.

Until evolution deems it so, homosexuals are not meant to reproduce hence the viewpoint some people have that homosexuality is biologically unnatural. Not my viewpoint exactly but a viewpoint out there nonetheless.

holy f%^&(* everloving jesus hell! THIS is why I avoided this thread these few days. comments like this, while expected, I wouldn't think the educated public capable of making.
What, in your frail, uninformed mind makes you think that a homosexual person is incapable of reproducing with a straight person? Sexual attraction/preference in NO WAY inhibits a person's physiological capability to reproduce. In fact, this is way homosexual preference EXISTS in the natural world. any species, despite their preference, invetably feels the need to reproduce.

Hell, there are plenty of homosexuals out there who reproduce, just as their are plenty of straight people who get vasectomies in their twenties b/c they never want to reproduce.

This is why fundamentalist asshats such as yourself should never be allowed newar a school that allows the teaching of science, or hell...I sure as shit wouldn't want you around my children, period.

hillariously enough, I write this inflammatory post from work--a lab at NWMH where we do tons of mouse work, and where I observe on any given day a healthy population of female mice humping other female companions that they are caged with. We will put these same females in with a male that night, and sure as evolution, there'll be a litter of pups 21 days later.

(I know this is old news now--but I couldn't let this comment slide without adding my own)

zinfamous

No Lifer
Jul 12, 2006

Anandtech Moderator hzl

/flamesuit

whopping huge contradiction right there. it is biologiclaly possible, therefore it is indeed natural. I think you mean to suggest that it is evolutionarily unfavorable. to me, that makes sense. but you will find homosexual or simply "loose" sexual behavior thorughout the animal kingdom.

also, all fo the published data shows that gay couples are just as effective, if not moreso, at raising kids than are straight couples. When you look at these situations, the gay parents often provide far more stable households than do a straight couple with a horrible marriage. It seems the largest correlation to raising a stable child has to do with a solid example of a stable relationship in the form of the parents. Gay or straight simply doesn't matter.

perfect logic. :D

glutenberg

Golden Member
Sep 2, 2004
Originally posted by: ShadowOfMyself

Anandtech Moderator hzl

/flamesuit

Im gonna have to go with irishScott here... Not a homophobic or anything, but according to what you are saying, a baby born with a third arm is natural because he was born that way? Thats just not true

Shit happens, and people get born with defects, but the question is - should they be put aside because of those? I dont think so, rare doesnt equal bad, most of the times its actually the opposite ( I hold them equally in this case though)

I think you're mistaking the definition of natural.

Main Entry: 1nat·u·ral
Pronunciation: 'na-ch&-r&l, 'nach-r&l
Function: adjective
Etymology: Middle English, from Anglo-French naturel, from Latin naturalis of nature, from natura nature
2 a : being in accordance with or determined by nature

A third arm, unless produced through some strange, chemical induced means, is going to be a natural occurrence. People arguing that it's not natural are evoking their emotional stances regarding homosexuality into a very simple and nearly all encompassing term. The word they'd much rather use is unsuitable, not unnatural. It is unsuitable that a person be different than I am and it's their choice to conform. It is unsuitable for a person that is a homosexual from being who they are but instead should just accept that they were born to be martyrs for us. The anti-homosexual crowd would like those who are born gay to resist their terrible urges and show us how proper humans behave and resist temptations. Overall, a defect can still be natural even if it's not normal.

zinfamous

No Lifer
Jul 12, 2006
Originally posted by: ShadowOfMyself

Anandtech Moderator hzl

/flamesuit

the misunderstanding is between natural and normal, or even what a mutation is. both are certainly natural, but a third arm, and sure, gayness, would be considered "abnormal" b/c they occur with less probability.

for the same reason, many people are inappropriately flamed when claiming that homosexuality is the result of a genetic mutation. I didn't intend to call out scott on that (only on his notion that it was unnatural--again, something that is unnatural means that it was induced outside of natural processes; IE Hulk or spiderman bombarded with cosmic radioactive mumbojumbo, blah blah)

there is nothing slanderous about the word "genetic mutation." it is how evolution works, and it is a necessary natural function. it is, however, widely misunderstood.

I responded to irish scott for implying that straight couples are realistically superior over gays at raising children (all evidence contradicts this statement), and that homosexuality is unnatural. It isn't.

Having a third arm is also natural--but it isn't normal.

akshatp

Diamond Member
Oct 15, 1999
Wow.. quite an interesting read for a Thursday morning. I was working on a reply as I got through page 2, but as I read further into the thread, I realzied that I cannot post it as I will certainly get a 1-week vacation for my opinion. Rules are rules, even if I dont agree with them.

As for the question in the OP... I dont know if I would "do" anything if my child was gay. I guess I would treat him/her as I would any child of mine.

But if you were to ask me if I would prefer all of my children to be born straight? Absolutely I would.

jw0ollard

Jul 29, 2006

I'm "pro-homosexual" and I've never glorified the "gay lifestyle" as you put it. Edit-I suppose you think that the movie 'Brokeback Mountain' glorifies the gay lifestyle too?

Why do you say gays marrying is damaging the sanctity of marriage? What evidence do you have of this? I'd say that every married couple who divorces does far more damage to the sanctity of marriage than gay couples do.

Here's all the evidence you need:

1) Being gay is not natural. Real Americans always reject unnatural things like eyeglasses, polyester, and air conditioning.
2) Gay marriage will encourage people to be gay, in the same way that hanging around tall people will make you tall.
3) Legalizing gay marriage will open the door to all kinds of crazy behavior. People may even wish to marry their pets because a dog has legal standing and can sign a marriage contract.
4) Straight marriage has been around a long time and hasn?t changed at all; women are still property, blacks still can?t marry whites, and divorce is still illegal.
5) Straight marriage will be less meaningful if gay marriage were allowed; the sanctity of Britney Spears? 55-hour just-for-fun marriage would be destroyed.
6) Straight marriages are valid because they produce children. Gay couples, infertile couples, and old people shouldn?t be allowed to marry because our orphanages aren?t full yet, and the world needs more children.
7) Obviously gay parents will raise gay children, since straight parents only raise straight children.
8) Gay marriage is not supported by religion. In a theocracy like ours, the values of one religion are imposed on the entire country. That?s why we have only one religion in America.
9) Children can never succeed without a male and a female role model at home. That?s why we as a society expressly forbid single parents to raise children.
10) Gay marriage will change the foundation of society; we could never adapt to new social norms. Just like we haven?t adapted to cars, the service-sector economy, or longer life spans.

Mosh, Platypus, Jules, and whoever else isn't completely out of their mind... cheers :beer:

The rest, well, I don't feel like feeding the trolls today. :cookie:

Turin39789

Lifer
Nov 21, 2000
Originally posted by: akshatp
Wow.. quite an interesting read for a Thursday morning. I was working on a reply as I got through page 2, but as I read further into the thread, I realzied that I cannot post it as I will certainly get a 1-week vacation for my opinion. Rules are rules, even if I dont agree with them.

As for the question in the OP... I dont know if I would "do" anything if my child was gay. I guess I would treat him/her as I would any child of mine.

But if you were to ask me if I would prefer all of my children to be born straight? Absolutely I would.

Unless your reply is

A) Questioning the mods in the thread(this is not the avenue)
or
B) suggesting that gay children should be killed

you should be perfectly fine to post it and get flamed by sane people.

classy

Lifer
Oct 12, 1999
I would still love them, but I wouldn't support him or her in any relationship they would have. Just like I wouldn't if they were involved in anything I didn't think was right.

TheFamilyMan

Golden Member
Mar 18, 2003

holy f%^&(* everloving jesus hell! THIS is why I avoided this thread these few days. comments like this, while expected, I wouldn't think the educated public capable of making.
What, in your frail, uninformed mind makes you think that a homosexual person is incapable of reproducing with a straight person? Sexual attraction/preference in NO WAY inhibits a person's physiological capability to reproduce. In fact, this is way homosexual preference EXISTS in the natural world. any species, despite their preference, invetably feels the need to reproduce.

Hell, there are plenty of homosexuals out there who reproduce, just as their are plenty of straight people who get vasectomies in their twenties b/c they never want to reproduce.

This is why fundamentalist asshats such as yourself should never be allowed newar a school that allows the teaching of science, or hell...I sure as shit wouldn't want you around my children, period.

hillariously enough, I write this inflammatory post from work--a lab at NWMH where we do tons of mouse work, and where I observe on any given day a healthy population of female mice humping other female companions that they are caged with. We will put these same females in with a male that night, and sure as evolution, there'll be a litter of pups 21 days later.

(I know this is old news now--but I couldn't let this comment slide without adding my own)

Hey asshat, I'm far from uneducated. I, in no way, have a frail or uninformed mind. Your reading comprehension does lack some skills though. I never once said a homosexual couldn't reproduce with a heterosexual. I said that homosexuals claim they were born that way so they should just deal the fuck with it. You claim to be a completely different biological off-shoot of homo-sapien then deal the fuck with all the pros (whatever they may be) with all the cons (one being NO NATURAL REPRODUCTION). Why is it so hard for you (and others apparently) to understand. You say you were born gay, then accept the fact you were born without the ability to have children if you adhere to your homosexual design. Stop comparing yourselves to straight couples who have infertility problems because you are in no way comparable. Their infertility comes from many documented medical reasons and yours comes from a kink in your genetic make-up. They are attempting to have children through medical assistance to overcome a medical or biological issue and you are trying to circumvent your so-called born design. Yes, my opinion is that homosexuals shouldn't be given adoption privileges nor should they be given surrogacy options either but that is my opinion and I don't need your approval of it.

I'm no fundamentalist asshat as you have so duly thought to note and I wouldn't want a pantywaist such as yourself around mine, that is for sure.

Turin39789

Lifer
Nov 21, 2000

Hey asshat, I'm far from uneducated. I, in no way, have a frail or uninformed mind. Your reading comprehension does lack some skills though. I never once said a homosexual couldn't reproduce with a heterosexual. I said that homosexuals claim they were born that way so they should just deal the fuck with it. You claim to be a completely different biological off-shoot of homo-sapien then deal the fuck with all the pros (whatever they may be) with all the cons (one being NO NATURAL REPRODUCTION). Why is it so hard for you (and others apparently) to understand. You say you were born gay, then accept the fact you were born without the ability to have children if you adhere to your homosexual design. Stop comparing yourselves to straight couples who have infertility problems because you are in no way comparable. Their infertility comes from many documented medical reasons and yours comes from a kink in your genetic make-up. They are attempting to have children through medical assistance to overcome a medical or biological issue and you are trying to circumvent your so-called born design. Yes, my opinion is that homosexuals shouldn't be given adoption privileges nor should they be given surrogacy options either but that is my opinion and I don't need your approval of it.

I'm no fundamentalist asshat as you have so duly thought to note and I wouldn't want a pantywaist such as yourself around mine, that is for sure.

Forgive me if I repeat myself, (screw it, name calling removed. I don't need to imitate someone like you)

The word "can" implies ability, and they are biologically able to breed.

If you are refusing to give homosexuals your consent to breed, you should use "may" and "may not".

JulesMaximus

No Lifer
Jul 3, 2003

Man, you sure are an angry motherfucker.

to overcome a biological issue

I would say that having two penises is a biological issue.

jw0ollard

Jul 29, 2006

:thumbsdown:4U 4 U R A DUMBASS

Who the fuck are you to decide what the "Pros and Cons" to being homosexual are? Every person on this planet has a basic human right to procreate, regardless of gender, race, or sexual preference.

Your posts are littered with countless assumptions but let me at least point out the ones in your latest post:

1) When you compare heterosexuals who are born INFERTILE (or become INFERTILE from other genetic defects) with homosexuals that are perfectly CAPABLE of sexual reproduction, you somehow come to the conclusion that although INFERTILE, a hetero couple still has more of a right to have children then a perfectly healthy gay couple???? It would seem that your logic is severely flawed. For one, you're calling homosexuality a "genetic defect" which it's NOT, but you're dismissing any possibility that the INFERTILE straight couple has any GENETIC DEFECTS of their own!!! Out of the two couples, wouldn't you say maybe "God" didn't want the straight couple to have kids since they can't NATURALLY PROCREATE? And if gay couples REALLY weren't meant to be able to procreate, wouldn't you think that evolutionarily speaking, the FERTILITY GENE would become forever linked to the SEXUALITY GENE (which you're of course assuming there is one) ???????? Meaning: If "God" really wanted us fags to not be able to have kids, then we genetically would not be able to do so.

And please don't give me the reasoning, "Well if the sexuality gene and fertility gene were linked, that means gay people wouldn't exist since they would be infertile and not be able to pass down their genes" This of course would be GREAT for bigots like you. So anyway, if there really were a SEXUALITY GENE, the genotype for "homosexual" would most definitely be carried by recessive alleles (due to such a small percentage of gays in the world) and if gays were TRULY meant to not procreate, then a GAY PHENOTYPE should result in an INFERTILE PHENOTYPE, but it somehow DOES NOT..... so STFU, "FamilyMan".

2) Your posts reek of the false assumption that homosexuality is 100% genetic. There is no proof of this, and it is commonly believed to be a result of a number of factors. So, anyway, your basing 100% of your arguments on the fact that all people who define themselves as "homosexual" have some kind of "GENETIC DEFECT" which is like saying that people with red hair or attached ear lobes have GENETIC DEFECTS. So what I'm trying to say is that your ENTIRE ARGUMENT for "why homosexuals CANNOT procreate" is severely flawed and BASELESS.

I'll grace you with an example from my personal life (although you definitely don't deserve it):

I was raised by a lesbian couple, and *GASP* my mom gave birth to me NATURALLY. Eat that shit up, "FamilyMan". I had a decent upbringing, and was completely oblivious to the fact that anything was wrong with said upbring until high school. I never once thought that anything was wrong with it, but fuckers like you seem to disagree. So here's the kicker: I'm not heterosexual!!! *GASPOMGWTFBBQAOLFCC* And let me tell you a little bit about my experiences with sexuality. I liked several girls in HS, got pretty hot and heavy with one. Went to college, got hot and heavy with a boy, then a girl, then some more boys. So what am I???? Homosexual??? I was birthed and raised by a lesbian, so I must have the gay gene, and I must not be allowed to procreate, right?? ALL which is something that you have taken upon yourself to decide. I don't think I've EVER heard an argument as unique as yours. To go as far as to deny our physical and emotional RIGHTS as human beings to want to have children is pretty low, and pretty disgusting, and I'll be sure to think of you whenever I need a good laugh.

If someone thinks I deserve a vacation for this, then be sure to permanently ban the people who made the abortion/post-birth abortion comments, ALSO. Whether or not they meant it that way, those are personal attacks aimed at people like ME... since they ARE saying out loud that if I was their kid they'd like to abort me. And if anyone should be banned in this thread, it's FamilyMan. He's done nothing but deny our basic human rights, which is an attack on an entire culture, not to mention flamebait for posts like this. :)

I don't plan on replying to anything you have to say FamilyMan, FYI. You weren't worth my time even during THIS post, but reading 24 pages of BS got me all riled up. ;)

zinfamous

No Lifer
Jul 12, 2006

when did I say that I was homosexual? who has the reading problems? you talk about homosexuals being infertile....do you have any idea what infertile means? do you even listen to the flaming balls of shit that come out of your mouth?

your post smacks with a fundamentalist-driven understanding of "science". meaning that you trust press releases from your pastor summarizing the latest research, rather than read the actual articles based on the researches/doctors who actually know wtf they're talking about. I bet you even think there are medical cures based on adult stem cells. :roll:

Platypus

Lifer
Apr 26, 2001
You guys realize that replying to TheFamilyMan is akin to pressing your hand to a hot stove repeatedly and expecting to get a different result right?

JulesMaximus

No Lifer
Jul 3, 2003

when did I say that I was homosexual? who has the reading problems? you talk about homosexuals being infertile....do you have any idea what infertile means? do you even listen to the flaming balls of shit that come out of your mouth?

your post smacks with a fundamentalist-driven understanding of "science". meaning that you trust press releases from your pastor summarizing the latest research, rather than read the actual articles based on the researches/doctors who actually know wtf they're talking about. I bet you even think there are medical cures based on adult stem cells. :roll:

TheAngryMan probably just assumed you were gay because you are defending gay rights just as he assumed I was gay earlier in this thread...he's full of assumptions, none of which are based in reality or logic. He's just spewing the same bullshit the religious spew when it comes to homosexuality.

I bet this thread gets locked based on they way it's going.

jw0ollard

Jul 29, 2006
Originally posted by: Platypus
You guys realize that replying to TheFamilyMan is akin to pressing your hand to a hot stove repeatedly and expecting to get a different result right?

Well, it was my first time, and I don't plan on repeating it (as I stated in my post). Insanity free 4me! :)

I like how TFM posts the same bullshit expecting to get the SAME result. If that's not insanity, is that just plain ol' stupidity?

zinfamous

No Lifer
Jul 12, 2006

TheAngryMan probably just assumed you were gay because you are defending gay rights just as he assumed I was gay earlier in this thread...he's full of assumptions, none of which are based in reality or logic. He's just spewing the same bullshit the religious spew when it comes to homosexuality.

I bet this thread gets locked based on they way it's going.

yar. he's an embarrasment to straight people.