WWII German Enigma Machine For Sale on eBay

Googer

Lifer
Nov 11, 2004
Originally posted by: Colt45
Scholars studied it enough during WWII... no?

From time to time, I have watched historical documentaries and questions about the enigma have arisen where they go and take a detailed look at the machine.

Also It would be good for this machine to be in permanent public view and as an educational aide to mathematics or engineering students.

AgaBoogaBoo

Lifer
Feb 16, 2003
Originally posted by: Googer

From time to time, I have watched historical documentaries and questions about the enigma have arisen where they go and take a detailed look at the machine.

Also It would be good for this machine to be in permanent public view and as an educational aide to mathematics or engineering students.
How would this be an educational aide? If anything, they'd be using a program that simulates the actual item.

As for public view, I guess so, are there any in museums right now though?

Googer

Lifer
Nov 11, 2004
Originally posted by: AgaBoogaBoo

How would this be an educational aide? If anything, they'd be using a program that simulates the actual item.

It's a piece of history that should not be forgotten. It's a good reminder of the horror that took place during those years, lets not repeat it ever again.

Kadarin

Lifer
Nov 23, 2001

It's not the only one. My brother happens to own one...

JEDIYoda

Lifer
Jul 13, 2005
Originally posted by: Astaroth33

WowZa!! Your brother owns a original huh....cool man!!
My great grandpa built them!!

Kadarin

Lifer
Nov 23, 2001
Originally posted by: JEDIYoda

Nice...

My brother's kind of a weird guy. He's also got an actual mummy in his living room...

AnitaPeterson

Diamond Member
Apr 24, 2001
I think someone should e-mail Neal Stephenson... should make a nice complement to his "Cryptonomicon" novel.

antillean

Jun 13, 2007

You're proud of that? I'd be proud if my great grandpa chose to die or go to prison instead of help the Nazi war effort.

dug777

Lifer
Oct 13, 2004
Originally posted by: antillean

You're proud of that? I'd be proud if my great grandpa chose to die or go to prison instead of help the Nazi war effort.

Not so easy to say for the German people.

Personally, i can't see any real reason why he shouldn't be proud of that. It wasn't as if the machine was used to kill millions of jews, i sincerely doubt it had anything to do with any of that, and even if it did, there's no way his great grandpa would have known...or something.

tw1164

Diamond Member
Dec 8, 1999

Nice...

My brother's kind of a weird guy. He's also got an actual mummy in his living room...

Mummy

on a side note, be careful about googling "Yummy Mummy" at work LOL

antillean

Jun 13, 2007
Originally posted by: dug777

Not so easy to say for the German people.

Personally, i can't see any real reason why he shouldn't be proud of that. It wasn't as if the machine was used to kill millions of jews, i sincerely doubt it had anything to do with any of that, and even if it did, there's no way his great grandpa would have known...or something.

If his family was under threat, I would accept his actions. I still would not be proud- I would view it as the actions of a desperate man. In this situation, his great grandpa wouldn't have been proud of what he did either. If he did it willingly, because he believed in what his country was doing, that's definately not a reason to be proud. That's absurd to say that it didn't directly slaughter millions of Jews. The machine was used to encrypt messages for the war for world domination and Nazi supremacy, which included the Holocaust. Why do you think many people refused to work for the regime?

aldamon

Diamond Member
Aug 2, 2000

They had one at the International Spy Museum in DC when we visited it last year.

TallBill

Lifer
Apr 29, 2001

I'm a U.S. soldier and I'd be extremely proud of any family that served on any side during the conflict. There is honor in serving your country. Politicians do the rights and wrongs, soldiers just do their job. It not like he was in a death squad. Most regular german troops had nothing to do with slaughter of innocents.

sdifox

No Lifer
Sep 30, 2005

It's a piece of history that should not be forgotten. It's a good reminder of the horror that took place during those years, lets not repeat it ever again.

huh? What has the Enigma Machine got to do with that?

PS, don't artifacts like this need an export license?