WWI games

Born2bwire

Diamond Member
Oct 28, 2005
Originally posted by: microAmp
Trench warfare isn't all that interesting?

I would say that's it. The array of weapons is pretty much limited to bolt action rifle, pistol, and shotgun (well, there's the flame thrower and some light machine guns). Plus the war was fairly static in terms of where it was fought. I think that it would be hard for a developer to be able to churn out a game around WW1 that had the same variety of weapons and localities and mobility that WW2 had.

trance247

Jan 17, 2006
there was a game, alternative history where Germany wins ww1, i forget what it's called

imported_Imp

Diamond Member
Dec 20, 2005
I don't really think it's necessary. If you want to experience WWI, just play an online FPS and get spawn raped 50 times in a row. Maybe you can do it RTS, but just do a zerg rush...

The Total War franchise MAY be able to do it justice...

SpunkyJones

Diamond Member
Apr 1, 2004
Originally posted by: trance247
there was a game, alternative history where Germany wins ww1, i forget what it's called

Iron Storm. Wasn't that good, it bored me within 30 minutes.

Dethfrumbelo

Golden Member
Nov 16, 2004
1) Whistle blows
2) Jump out of trench
3) Start running blindly into smoke
4) Wait for sound of machinegun fire
5) Die
6) Repeat

Skott

Diamond Member
Oct 4, 2005
The WW1 aerial combat is about the only thing that can hold people's attention action-wise and they havent made a good one of those in years(Red Baron 3D). You could do a WW1 FPS kinda like Return To Castle Wolfenstien only set to the WW1 era I suppose but people would just say its a copy of RTCW and probably not play it. WW1 is often forgotten in history for a reason.

pontifex

Lifer
Dec 5, 2000
I dunno, I've read a lot of things that happened during WWI that sounded pretty damn interesting, just as interesting as WWII.

microAmp

Diamond Member
Jul 5, 2000
Originally posted by: pontifex
I dunno, I've read a lot of things that happened during WWI that sounded pretty damn interesting, just as interesting as WWII.

What kind of examples?

I'm curious. :)

pontifex

Lifer
Dec 5, 2000

What kind of examples?

Ever hear of Lawrence of Arabia?

GDaddy

Mar 30, 2006
Originally posted by: Skott
The WW1 aerial combat is about the only thing that can hold people's attention action-wise and they havent made a good one of those in years(Red Baron 3D). You could do a WW1 FPS kinda like Return To Castle Wolfenstien only set to the WW1 era I suppose but people would just say its a copy of RTCW and probably not play it. WW1 is often forgotten in history for a reason.

Loved Red Baron 3D always hoping someone would do a new one, still waiting, oh well.

clamum

Lifer
Feb 13, 2003
Originally posted by: Inspector Jihad
wwi had biological and chemical weapons.
Yeah I was gonnna say that... adds some more elements that aren't part of other war-themed games. It would be cool if a company did some research and took their time to make a quality WWI game. I was thinking FPS, but maybe an MMOFPS would be pretty sweet.

Things to consider:

Chemical weapons (tear, chlorine, mustard, phosgene gases)
Introduction of the first tanks by the British
Introduction of warfare from the air
Naval warfare (Battleships, torpedo boats, U-Boats, naval mines)
Fronts of warfare (Western/trench, Eastern, African, Middle Eastern, Italian)
Weapons (flamethrowers, light automatic weapons, rail guns, artillery)

I think with the huge scope of the war there would be a lot to make a game with. Putting it all together and making the game fun and interesting is the challenge though, maybe that's why nobody has done it?

Oyeve

Lifer
Oct 18, 1999
Because there are were no rocket launchers in WWI :). But, they did have submarines. A WWI submarine game would be awesome.

gorobei

Diamond Member
Jan 7, 2007
WW1 was about attrition: massive numbers of soldiers thrown at the enemy. Since the max number of players on current FPS servers is around 64, you wont get the same feeling/effect without bots. I do think it would be an interesting game to attempt. Biplanes match the scale of current game maps and would never dominate the battle. Throw in horses and manned artillery and the charge to the next trench becomes kind of a coordination/teamwork-timing challenge.

The main problem is you're going to die a lot before you get even close to firing your first shot. And even if you make it to the enemy trench, it becomes a CQB nightmare(imagine all that bunny hopping in a 3' wide trench) Not that it would matter. Most noobs just hide behind stuff throwing grenades or snipe from safety without trying to cap a flag. Might as well do it from the trenches if that's the case.

For realism you'd have to include the trenchrot, dysentery, and parasites.

It's probably better suited for a hybrid game like WorldInConflict.

BladeVenom

Lifer
Jun 2, 2005

What kind of examples?

Ever hear of Lawrence of Arabia?

That's a great example. I usually think of the Battle of Jutland as one of the potentially most interesting battles. While it was trench warfare in the west, on the Russian front the war was a lot more fluid. There's also the Russian civil war that happened during World War 1. There's also the Battle of Gallipoli, sub warfare, the start of the Turkish War of Independence at the end of the war, and what I think is one of the most interesting stories is about the battlecruiser Goeben.

One of the greatest boardgames ever made, Diplomacy, is a WW1 game.