WTH is wrong with ebay?

Muse

Lifer
Jul 11, 2001
Lost my CC about a year ago, called them and was sent a replacement with new CC number. A few days ago I get an email from Ebay saying my CC is about to expire, I have to update them or my account will be cancelled. Has instructions. I follow them and go to change the CC by clicking Change. It says it wants me to establish a seller account. But I already had one, just haven't been using it. I play along, OK, set up a seller account. It asks to confirm the phone number I already have in the account and gives me the option to call or text. Being a land line I click call. I get no call. It says it texted me. :rolleyes: So I change the phone number to my android phone and I don't get a text OR a call. Just CRAZY! And getting help is bonkers. I filled in an edit box saying all this and got nobody, just wants me to click 1 to 5 stars in evaluating my help experience. Damn. Frankly I don't care if I ever sell anything more on Ebay as long as I can buy there. What a fucked up system!

Jon-T

Jun 5, 2011
Code Monkeys.

Most internet stuff was set up by very smart people. As time goes on the smart people are retiring and being replaced by GED holders who did a 6 week coding boot camp.

Google isn't as good as it was 10 years ago. Amazon's search feature is falling apart. All code monkeys.

Muse

Lifer
Jul 11, 2001
I still sometimes buy things on Ebay.... I will no longer sell there.
That is the mantra I've been hearing here and I don't miss selling stuff on ebay, although I have a box that failed to sell some years ago I could try again (with an item I bought there that I don't like). I don't care if they cancel my selling account, in fact their system seems to think I don't have one. I just don't want them to cancel my buying account. I can't tell WTH is going on with this, it's hell of F-ed up.

Reactions: Captante

Muse

Lifer
Jul 11, 2001
Code Monkeys.

Most internet stuff was set up by very smart people. As time goes on the smart people are retiring and being replaced by GED holders who did a 6 week coding boot camp.

Google isn't as good as it was 10 years ago. Amazon's search feature is falling apart. All code monkeys.
I am not familiar with the term. A lookup indicates it was a TV show or something. Have no idea what that was about.

I write code (database), used to be the guy (and only guy) at a ~200 person company who maintained and modified the mission critical database system they used to service their customers. My customers were essentially our staff who used the system constantly, mostly at our main location (where I worked) but considerably at our satellite locations, which were usually in the offices of our customers, big and small. I tested the stuff I turned lose on them before deployment every time I made modifications. I made sure it worked! Ebay evidently doesn't test their stuff before deployment, they just modify it and turn it lose on their customers, e.g. me. And Ebay is a multi-billion dollar corporation. What bullshit!

Last edited:

waffleironhead

Diamond Member
Aug 10, 2005
Had a similar experience with gurneys. Couldnt remember my account password.
Enter my email for a password reset.
"There is no account with this email address."
Fine, lets set up a new account.
"Sorry there is already an account associated with this email address."
F me. lets check out as guest.

Captante

Lifer
Oct 20, 2003

It's not only merchants, I needed to access to a couple old tech-certifications recently and what should have been exceedingly simple turned into a total PITA.

Support was utterly worthless, the password-reset system didn't work and somehow I accidently ended up with a second account based on an alternative email. (thanks Google!)

Ultimately I was able to login using my backup desktop which had the password stored locally but most folks would have out of luck.

KidNiki1

Platinum Member
Oct 15, 2010
Lost my CC about a year ago, called them and was sent a replacement with new CC number. A few days ago I get an email from Ebay saying my CC is about to expire, I have to update them or my account will be cancelled. Has instructions. I follow them and go to change the CC by clicking Change. It says it wants me to establish a seller account. But I already had one, just haven't been using it. I play along, OK, set up a seller account. It asks to confirm the phone number I already have in the account and gives me the option to call or text. Being a land line I click call. I get no call. It says it texted me. :rolleyes: So I change the phone number to my android phone and I don't get a text OR a call. Just CRAZY! And getting help is bonkers. I filled in an edit box saying all this and got nobody, just wants me to click 1 to 5 stars in evaluating my help experience. Damn. Frankly I don't care if I ever sell anything more on Ebay as long as I can buy there. What a fucked up system!

was the email legit? could you possibly have just been scammed for your CC info?

Muse

Lifer
Jul 11, 2001
Had a similar experience with gurneys. Couldnt remember my account password.
F me. lets check out as guest.
Tried to apply for online savings account last week with LendingClub (highest yield at .70%, changed to .85% APY a few days later). Funded from my checking account, was rejected, I call and ask why, they say they have had a lot of trouble funding from Chase, either call Chase or fund from another source... one gotcha, can't use the same email addy because it will tell me there's already an account. She goes "capitalize your email address and it will go through." So, I do that with my other checking account, not Chase. That fails too, I call a few days later and the guy I talk to says it'll jam me for a month, and I'm WTF is this? Let me talk to a supervisor, which he can't come up with. I haven't bothered recontacting them. I figure online chat or a different phone rep. I have too many other things on my plate to mess with it right now, anyway no immediate need.

Muse

Lifer
Jul 11, 2001
was the email legit? could you possibly have just been scammed for your CC info?
Well, I haven't gotten to where I enter the new CC. All I have provided so far is my other phone number, the one that can receive text messages. It said it needed to confirm that phone number by sending me a code, but I haven't gotten a code, so... limbo!

KidNiki1

Platinum Member
Oct 15, 2010
Well, I haven't gotten to where I enter the new CC. All I have provided so far is my other phone number, the one that can receive text messages. It said it needed to confirm that phone number by sending me a code, but I haven't gotten a code, so... limbo!

well, thats good. my first thought was if you clicked a link from the email, it might not even go to the actual ebay site, and that is why you are having all the trouble.

Muse

Lifer
Jul 11, 2001
It's not only merchants, I needed to access to a couple old tech-certifications recently and what should have been exceedingly simple turned into a total PITA.

Support was utterly worthless, the password-reset system didn't work and somehow I accidently ended up with a second account based on an alternative email. (thanks Google!)

Ultimately I was able to login using my backup desktop which had the password stored locally but most folks would have out of luck.
I usually keep all my passwords in my personal data, rarely let my browser create one for me or whatever does that. I create my own, which I would rarely remember but it's in my data, encrypted by virtue of hints I create for myself. Someone else wouldn't know my hints and be able to unscramble my methodology. I know, it's nutty and I should probably be using a PW manager, but I have never done that. Thing is, though, if I don't have access to my data I'm SOL... so I keep a cheat sheet in my wallet for a few sites, the major ones I might need if away from my network. I could maybe access something from my cell phone, haven't looked into that.

Muse

Lifer
Jul 11, 2001
well, thats good. my first thought was if you clicked a link from the email, it might not even go to the actual ebay site, and that is why you are having all the trouble.
I didn't click a link, well I clicked the HTML attachment. It gave me instructions on how to do it from the Ebay "Home Page." I can probably just copy/paste it in here [but I deleted my name, ebay handle and email address from the below]!

Hello <me><my ebay handle>

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
eBay sent this message to <me><my ebay handle>.
Your registered name is included to show this message originated from eBay.
Learn more: http://pages.ebay.com/help/confidence/name-userid-emails.html
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

This is a courtesy reminder that the following credit/debit card on file for your eBay account will soon expire:

EBay Account ID: E5709140001-USD
Card: MSC XXXX-XXXX-XXXX-<last 4 digits>
Expiration Date: 31-May-22
Date Reminder Issued: 24-May-22

In order to receive uninterrupted service, please update this information.

To update your credit/debit card information:

1. Go to the eBay Home page.
2. Click the "Account settings" (under your name in the header at the top of the page).
3. Click on "Change automatic payment method" listed under Payment methods for Seller Fees.
4. Follow the instructions for updating your payment method.

Thank you for using eBay.

Regards,
eBay, Inc.

Learn More to protect yourself from spoof (fake) emails at: http://pages.ebay.com/education/spooftutorial

eBay sent this email to [my email addy] about your account registered on ebay.com.

eBay is committed to your privacy. Learn more about our privacy policy at http://pages.ebay.com/help/policies/privacy-policy.html and User Agreement at http://pages.ebay.com/help/policies/user-agreement.html if you have any questions.

Copyright � 2022 eBay, Inc. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.

eBay Inc.
2145 Hamilton Avenue,
San Jose , CA 95125

***Please do not send payments to this address as it will cause a delay in your payment posting. For more information on how to make a payment, please visit: http://pages.ebay.com/help/sell/pay-fees.html

Reference #: 10200.587.1

Captante

Lifer
Oct 20, 2003
I usually keep all my passwords in my personal data, rarely let my browser create one for me or whatever does that. I create my own, which I would rarely remember but it's in my data, encrypted by virtue of hints I create for myself. Someone else wouldn't know my hints and be able to unscramble my methodology. I know, it's nutty and I should probably be using a PW manager, but I have never done that. Thing is, though, if I don't have access to my data I'm SOL... so I keep a cheat sheet in my wallet for a few sites, the major ones I might need if away from my network. I could maybe access something from my cell phone, haven't looked into that.

Technically I have Norton's password manager available however I don't like to use any Symantec software other then the AV/firewall. (which are light on resources and work well)

The old PC has a different "stand-alone" PW app installed.

evident

Lifer
Apr 5, 2005
I still sometimes buy things on Ebay.... I will no longer sell there.
I dunno... as much as I hate ebay, there are some items that just won't sell elsewhere for me. for example.... I have some old 35mm film equipment i'm trying to sell, old food processor parts, an old water sprinkler controller, and a china set that i'm not using that i'm parting out. Where else can i sell that kind of junk?

quikah

Diamond Member
Apr 7, 2003
I have a super old ebay account that I occasionally use. The only payment method attached is paypal from back when they were the same company. No seller account. I last used it in March. Not sure why they are making you jump through so many hoops.

Captante

Lifer
Oct 20, 2003
I have a super old ebay account that I occasionally use. The only payment method attached is paypal from back when they were the same company. No seller account. I last used it in March. Not sure why they are making you jump through so many hoops.

Come to think of it neither am I.... they've never once bothered me about an expired cc and I've have multiple accounts for many years.

I wonder if it's really Ebay or a phishing expedition? :oops:

dlerious

Golden Member
Mar 4, 2004
Is there any way to add another card? I haven't used Ebay in 20 yrs or so, but with other websites I add a new payment method with my new card and delete the old one after I make sure the new one works.

Muse

Lifer
Jul 11, 2001
Is there any way to add another card? I haven't used Ebay in 20 yrs or so, but with other websites I add a new payment method with my new card and delete the old one after I make sure the new one works.
One would think so but it's not working at ebay, not for me. I have no idea what I can do about it. At this point I figure just ignore it but I want to make sure I can buy stuff on ebay. I do that a fair amount. But I use Paypal when doing that.

Reactions: dlerious

WilliamM2

Platinum Member
Jun 14, 2012
You don't need an account to buy on ebay. Just buy direct with a credit card.

That said, I signed up back in 2005 to buy something. Never set up a "seller account", didn't know there was such a thing. Sold a couple grand worth of Zippo's a little over a year ago just buy clicking "sell an item". Odd...

Reactions: Muse