WTF Worst DRM ever

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

waggy

No Lifer
Dec 14, 2000
Originally posted by: Fraggable
Originally posted by: waggy
Originally posted by: Fraggable
Originally posted by: Throckmorton
Can you call after the 5 to get it activated like you can with Windows??

Yes.

I'm pretty sure talking about pirating software will get you banned here.

THERE IS NO ROOTKIT!! It's been explained by 2K and many others that this game DOES NOT have a rootkit. People throw that word around like they know what they're talking about.

I still don't get what people are mad about. When you buy Office or Windows guess how many activations you get? 1!! Just one. Then when you want to reinstall guess who you have to call? MS!! And guess what you have to do? Enter a 25-digit product key, listen to them tell you they can't activate it and transfer you to a rep, then they read you a 40-character key back - usually a 8 minute process. People don't get all up in arms about that, do they?

there is a diffrence between a game and OS. I am sure you can even understand that?

there is no reason that i can't install the game on my machine and my 2 kids if i want. I should not have to buy it 3 times. I shouldnt have to jump through hoops etc to play.

and yes people complaine about MS actavation all the time.

Ok then forget Windows, how about Office? When you buy it, you're buying 1 license for 1 computer. Sure it works for as many users as you want, but you could also say Bioshock works for up to 5 users on that system. You can't install Office on more than one computer and I've never heard complaints about that, people just accept it.

As a matter of fact, you can install Bioshock on up to 5 systems at once. It's just that once you hit 5 you have to call 2K to release some of your installations.

actually people have tried to get more then the limited installs (when it was 2) and bioshock refused. they even had to send in pictures of the CD and case (look to pcgamer.com they one of the editors had the problem).

oh and again office is something diffrent THEN A FUCKING GAME. not to mention the last version of office let me put it on 3 machines.

waggy

No Lifer
Dec 14, 2000
Originally posted by: RadiclDreamer
You can install the program 2 times. HOWEVER, if you uninstall the application it gives you an activationback

the uninstall/giveback was/is very flaky. there are many people where were not getting a install after uninstall.

oh and its 5 not two.

waggy

No Lifer
Dec 14, 2000
Originally posted by: Fullmetal Chocobo
Is this 5 user limit mentioned in their EULA?

who cares about the EULA? it should be ON the box.

Fullmetal Chocobo

Moderator<br>Distributed Computing
May 13, 2003

I agree that it should be, but you know they will never put something that people won't like on the outside. Posters have said that it was hidden (quote = waggy)--since I don't have the game, I was wondering if it was written in the license agreement.

waggy

No Lifer
Dec 14, 2000

I agree that it should be, but you know they will never put something that people won't like on the outside. Posters have said that it was hidden (quote = waggy)--since I don't have the game, I was wondering if it was written in the license agreement.

i can't be sure. i just skimmed over it when installing. Also nobody on 2k forums said that it was.

it was not until a few days after it was out that the 2 install limit was there. not to mention the "rootkit" and widescreen screwup.

then 2k came on teh forums telling lies and giving bullshit answeres.

while bioshock is a great game i will not be buying another 2k product.

jjones

Lifer
Oct 9, 2001
I won't be buying this game and I'm glad to see that it's cracked already. Just goes to show you how worthless these kinds of draconian measures are. The people who pirate aren't fazed at all, actually probably have a better overall experience, and the only one's who are inconvenienced are the legit buyers. GG.

Fraggable

Platinum Member
Jul 20, 2005

actually people have tried to get more then the limited installs (when it was 2) and bioshock refused. they even had to send in pictures of the CD and case (look to pcgamer.com they one of the editors had the problem).

oh and again office is something diffrent THEN A FUCKING GAME. not to mention the last version of office let me put it on 3 machines.

2K has announced that there were quality control problems, if you will, on the phone operators and some of the responses given early on - specifically Elizabeth on the 2K forums has said this. Those problems have been fixed and from what I hear people are getting what they need over the phone now.

And how exactly is Office different from Bioshock? It's software, no matter what the use of the software is.

shortylickens

No Lifer
Jul 15, 2003
Well, this will get moved to Software soon, so I'll join.

VERY upsetting.
I got an Xbox 360 and only liked a couple games on it. And they both are coming out for the computer so I gave up on my 360. But DRM crap like this makes me hate my preferred gaming platform.

Seriously, all they are doing is encouraging piracy. That bastard will be cracked soon if not already and it wont cost the company any percieved or real sales. It will just let more people play it who otherwise wouldn't have.

Jun 4, 2005
I'm not really concerned.

The more they restrict with DRM, the sooner it will collapse. When they really start hearing the complaints, notice the boycotts, take a toll on the support lines, they'll re-think the situation. DRM is good in theory but it was never meant to work. It's simply not realistic, and slowly game and software makers will realize that it'll only hurt them. In the long run, everything will be cracked. Everything will be pirated. The only result of DRM is that the legitimate users are paying the price. A legitimate buyer who doesn't know how to bypass the DRM or get a copy that has been cracked. Those people are their market and they're losing them handfuls at a time.

DRM will fall sooner than later.

Tobolo

Diamond Member
Aug 17, 2005
Originally posted by: slpaulson
Reading that crap makes me wish I didn't buy the game...

I bought it not knowing about these problems, luckily I bought it on the 360. However, I will not be purchasing any 2k games in the future.

waggy

No Lifer
Dec 14, 2000
Originally posted by: LoKe
I'm not really concerned.

The more they restrict with DRM, the sooner it will collapse. When they really start hearing the complaints, notice the boycotts, take a toll on the support lines, they'll re-think the situation. DRM is good in theory but it was never meant to work. It's simply not realistic, and slowly game and software makers will realize that it'll only hurt them. In the long run, everything will be cracked. Everything will be pirated. The only result of DRM is that the legitimate users are paying the price. A legitimate buyer who doesn't know how to bypass the DRM or get a copy that has been cracked. Those people are their market and they're losing them handfuls at a time.

DRM will fall sooner than later.

Oh yeah. 2k is takeing a beating over it all and its really not 100% there fault (yeah they chose to put it in. but they have even said they are suprised over the backlash).

i hate to think how much it is costing them. only part is its nothitting all the news outlets.

Canai

Diamond Member
Oct 4, 2006
Welcome to a few weeks ago :laugh:

We've been bitching about it over in the PC gaming forum for a while.

edit: and it's a great game, so suck it up and deal with the SecuROM and activations.

You know what's going to happen if everyone starts boycotting the developers and the games don't sell well?

The publishers will not publish games from the devs. If it is in house, the team will be disbanded and all the pub companies will turn into EA mega houses. Boycotting will only hurt the pc gaming market.

pontifex

Lifer
Dec 5, 2000
I bought it, and I'm glad I did.

It's been a breath of fresh air in the sewage plant of games that have been released lately.

Canai

Diamond Member
Oct 4, 2006
Originally posted by: pontifex

It's been a breath of fresh air in the sewage plant of games that have been released lately.

qft. When a good game comes out, who gives a fuck if it had DRM. There are many ways around it.

Buy the game for the enjoyment, download a crack to get rid of the DRM. Problem solved.

Illegal filesharing is not the answer to games with DRM. All of the posters talking about how they should share the game just to spite 2k are simply adding to the belief of large publishers that DRM is necessary.

pontifex

Lifer
Dec 5, 2000
Originally posted by: Canai

qft. When a good game comes out, who gives a fuck if it had DRM. There are many ways around it.

Buy the game for the enjoyment, download a crack to get rid of the DRM. Problem solved.

Illegal filesharing is not the answer to games with DRM. All of the posters talking about how they should share the game just to spite 2k are simply adding to the belief of large publishers that DRM is necessary.

it could be taken the other way as well. people buying the game means the support the DRM...

double edged sword.

Canai

Diamond Member
Oct 4, 2006
Yeah but DRM is nothing new. Remember Fade, from the original opflash?

I think 2k got the message that having the restricted installs on a single player game really pissed a lot of people off. But unless we don't want to see quality games like Bioshock get developed and published, people need to get off their high horses and buy the game, deal with the DRM, and have fun.

I wonder if the first patch will address the DRM issues at all.

PokerGuy

Lifer
Jul 2, 2005

edit: and it's a great game, so suck it up and deal with the SecuROM and activations.
Buuzzzzz! Wrong answer. No, I won't "suck it up" and deal with the SecuROM and activations and DRM restrictions, because I have a choice. There are plenty of other good products out there, and I won't support the company that pulls this kind of stuff on their legitimate customers. I was considering buying this game, but knowing this I won't touch any 2k product unless it's the drm-free cracked version.

You know what's going to happen if everyone starts boycotting the developers and the games don't sell well?
I don't care, I won't pay a price and jump through hoops and accept restrictions on a product I legitimately buy. They'll get the message......

Canai

Diamond Member
Oct 4, 2006
Originally posted by: PokerGuy

Buuzzzzz! Wrong answer. No, I won't "suck it up" and deal with the SecuROM and activations and DRM restrictions, because I have a choice. There are plenty of other good products out there, and I won't support the company that pulls this kind of stuff on their legitimate customers. I was considering buying this game, but knowing this I won't touch any 2k product unless it's the drm-free cracked version.

I don't care, I won't pay a price and jump through hoops and accept restrictions on a product I legitimately buy. They'll get the message......

yeah they'll get the message and make it 360 only, then you are fucked by M$.

And name one other fps that is nearly as good as Bioshock that you would rather spend your money on. There aren't any out now. I've been waiting for this game since finishing System Shock 2, and I don't want to spend hundreds of dollars on a piece of shit M$ console that red rings constantly, so a little SecuROM is no problem. Like I said before, DRM is nothing new. I've learned to deal with it. You can too.

pontifex

Lifer
Dec 5, 2000

which products would those be? in case you haven't looked lately, PC games have been crappy recently

Canai

Diamond Member
Oct 4, 2006

which products would those be? in case you haven't looked lately, PC games have been crappy recently

exactly. And if we don't support the GOOD games that come out, guess what? No more good games. We'll get flooded with piece of shit 6month dev cycle games.

PokerGuy

Lifer
Jul 2, 2005
And name one other fps that is nearly as good as Bioshock that you would rather spend your money on. There aren't any out now. I've been waiting for this game since finishing System Shock 2, and I don't want to spend hundreds of dollars on a piece of shit M$ console that red rings constantly, so a little SecuROM is no problem. Like I said before, DRM is nothing new. I've learned to deal with it. You can too.
No, it's that mentality that allows DRM to fester and continue to infect our products. I will not "learn to deal with it", I will choose with my wallet while I can. If that means there's no other comparable games out there right now, then I will simply spend my entertainment $ somewhere else. I will not pay a company to treat me with contempt. Not Sony, not MS, not 2k either......

Canai

Diamond Member
Oct 4, 2006
DRM will NOT go away beacause people boycott it. The games that DRM is on WILL go away.

So you can go not play the game, and continue bitching about the DRM that you have not experienced on a game you do not own. Let the real gamers enjoy the game and beat the DRM.

I don't see why so many people complain about it. I've been playing DRM games for years and have never had a problem.

waggy

No Lifer
Dec 14, 2000
No, it's that mentality that allows DRM to fester and continue to infect our products. I will not "learn to deal with it", I will choose with my wallet while I can. If that means there's no other comparable games out there right now, then I will simply spend my entertainment $ somewhere else. I will not pay a company to treat me with contempt. Not Sony, not MS, not 2k either......

yeap same.