WTF Staples? They don't take Gift Cards online or over the phone?

Status
Not open for further replies.

NFS4

No Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
What kind of backwards ass policy is this? I have a Staples gift card ($50 rebate from some school supplies and a backpack I bought to donate to my wife's school) and wanted to use it to put towards a new digital camera (Christmas gift).

The local store doesn't have it in stock, so I went online to purchase it and couldn't find anywhere to input the GC number. So I called the 800 number to figure out what's going on and the CSR says "Yeah, we can't take gift cards online; although it's a request we've gotten from many of our customers for some time now."

So I said, OK. Well I'll just order it over the phone with you right now. "Oh, I'm sorry, we don't take gift cards over the phone either." WTF?

What kind of shit "technology" company are they?

rudeguy

Lifer
Dec 27, 2001
Probably from us Hot Deals monkies. There used to be a ton of deals that you had to call in for. If you coupled those deals with gift cards, Staples would lose their ass.

Sorry about that.

NFS4

No Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
Can't you do in store delivery and then pay when you pick it up?

Never tried that... I was checked the inventory status of my store online, so I didn't actually go to the store.

But that still doesn't explain the stupid policy. It's legit money on THEIR company gift cards.

God Mode

Platinum Member
Jul 2, 2005
Too cheap and lazy to implement a centralized database to detect validity or prevent duplicate giftcard use. Stupid legacy workers that barely know how to use the computer...etc etc. It's really bad in the medical field with a lot of senior staff. I'm hoping things will improve drastically within the next 10 years when the computer generation takes over those fields.

Slick5150

Diamond Member
Nov 10, 2001
You can use their in-store kiosks to order something from the website, then pay for it at the register with the gift card.

But yes, it's rather stupid that you can't just use them on their website or phone order directly.

wiredspider

Diamond Member
Jun 3, 2001
You can use their in-store kiosks to order something from the website, then pay for it at the register with the gift card.

But yes, it's rather stupid that you can't just use them on their website or phone order directly.

I've done this, annoying, but gets the job done.

Nebor

Lifer
Jun 24, 2003
Too cheap and lazy to implement a centralized database to detect validity or prevent duplicate giftcard use. Stupid legacy workers that barely know how to use the computer...etc etc. It's really bad in the medical field with a lot of senior staff. I'm hoping things will improve drastically within the next 10 years when the computer generation takes over those fields.

Wtf, even medical facilities have outdated gift card policies?!

Imp

Lifer
Feb 8, 2000
Just like Bestbuy Rewardzone cards/points in Canada at least. You can't use them online, have to go instore, but they'll let you use giftcards online.

God Mode

Platinum Member
Jul 2, 2005
Wtf, even medical facilities have outdated gift card policies?!

Yes. I thought they would be using the latest tech but apparently, they still love to use old fax machines and pencils. They spend more money maintaining and using these old machines than if they bought newer more efficient stuff and trained people to use it.

NFS4

No Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
Just like Bestbuy Rewardzone cards/points in Canada at least. You can't use them online, have to go instore, but they'll let you use giftcards online.

Yeah, RewardZone coupons used to be in-store only in the U.S., but they changed it so now you can use it online too.

Status
Not open for further replies.