WTF is wrong with me? I can't sleep.. haven't beena ble to in a while.

notfred

Lifer
Feb 12, 2001
For the past wekk or more, I've been getting 3-4 hours of sleep per night. I try to go to bed at midnight, but can't fall asleep till 3 or 4, and I ahve to get up at 7am. I jsut spent the last hour lying awake next to my sleeping girlfriend and listening to trains in the distance and the occasional cr driving by.... Why can't I fall asleep? It's not like I'm not tired, I can barely stay awake through the day...

KEV1N

Platinum Member
Jan 15, 2000
Do you want me to bring over some beer or something? That usually does the trick.

aphex

Moderator<br>All Things Apple
Jul 19, 2001
Originally posted by: notfred
For the past wekk or more, I've been getting 3-4 hours of sleep per night. I try to go to bed at midnight, but can't fall asleep till 3 or 4, and I ahve to get up at 7am. I jsut spent the last hour lying awake next to my sleeping girlfriend and listening to trains in the distance and the occasional cr driving by.... Why can't I fall asleep? It's not like I'm not tired, I can barely stay awake through the day...

Alot on your mind maybe?

gopunk

Lifer
Jul 7, 2001
i hear ya, i'm the exact same way, except i have no trains and no girlfriend.

notfred

Lifer
Feb 12, 2001
Originally posted by: aphexII
Originally posted by: notfred

Alot on your mind maybe?

The sad thing is I'll lay awake writing SQL queries in my head. Seriously. And other similar things, too. There's nothing real serious going on in my life ATM. Today was the first day of the new semester, but I wasn't nervous or anything, work's been good, I paid the rent on time, etc...

holden j caufield

Diamond Member
Dec 30, 1999
don't really have any answers but when I went on vacation for 3 weeks in Asia I just went to sleep on their time which was around 5am over here. Having the computer on or TV won't help you go to sleep but yeah exercise always helped.

Sluggo

Lifer
Jun 12, 2000
One of the things NOT to do is continue to lay in bed running through things in your mind, because you easily fall into the habit of doing that.

Never use your bed for anything other than sleep and sex, dont lay in bed and watch TV or read etc. it just puts your mind in state to do other things when you crawl into bed. Now as you climb into bed, your mind says Wheee, now we get to spend a few hours writing sql queries and stuff.

Sometimes just sitting in a dark room, doing nothing, or reading a boring book will make you want to sleep. Dont watch TV or switch on the comp, or you will really be awake.

Chances are there is just something on your mind that is laying directly out of reach of you thinking about it, and it will resolve itself within a week or so. Try to avoid alcohol, because it seriously screws with your sleep patterns. Just stay up and out of bed till you cant even keep your eyes open, then jump in bed and try to clear your mind.

BatmanNate

Lifer
Jul 12, 2000
I've felt like this lately too. I'll try and sleep, but all my senses seem sharpened. The slightest noises from passing vehicles or whirring electrical fans are amplified. I feel itchy for no apparent reason and I can feel my heart beating. The only thing that's really helped is to have a drink or two or three when I feel like this. :(

Bullhonkie

Golden Member
Sep 28, 2001
Originally posted by: BatmanNate
I've felt like this lately too. I'll try and sleep, but all my senses seem sharpened. The slightest noises from passing vehicles or whirring electrical fans are amplified. I feel itchy for no apparent reason and I can feel my heart beating. The only thing that's really helped is to have a drink or two or three when I feel like this. :(

Wow I know exactly how you feel. I've been having trouble getting to sleep lately also (although I'm pretty sure some of it's related to almost being ready to buy a new car). When I try to sleep I end up 'hearing' my heartbeat get louder and louder, and it gets so loud that it feels like it shakes my entire body with every beat. I also get the itchy/tingly feeling on occasion. I might feel like there are ants crawling around on my forearm, but when I check there obviously isn't anything there. So I find myself tossing and turning and moving various body parts around just to make the feeling go away.

I've found that drinking something warm (like milk or hot chocolate or something) before going to bed sometimes helps me with the above mentioned things, but not always. One thing I haven't tried are sleeping pills as I've been pretty reluctant about those. Any opinions about them?

jlee75

Golden Member
Oct 8, 2001
well that's my typical schedule. sleep at 3-4am and wake up around 9am or so. but that's just me. maybe have sex before sleeping? I used to do that. after sex, i just want to roll over and fall asleep. so i got into a habit of that.

BatmanNate

Lifer
Jul 12, 2000
Originally posted by: Bullhonkie
Originally posted by: BatmanNate

Wow I know exactly how you feel. I've been having trouble getting to sleep lately also (although I'm pretty sure some of it's related to almost being ready to buy a new car). When I try to sleep I end up 'hearing' my heartbeat get louder and louder, and it gets so loud that it feels like it shakes my entire body with every beat. I also get the itchy/tingly feeling on occasion. I might feel like there are ants crawling around on my forearm, but when I check there obviously isn't anything there. So I find myself tossing and turning and moving various body parts around just to make the feeling go away.

I've found that drinking something warm (like milk or hot chocolate or something) before going to bed sometimes helps me with the above mentioned things, but not always. One thing I haven't tried are sleeping pills as I've been pretty reluctant about those. Any opinions about them?

Yep. The ants feeling is kinda familiar, but I don't do acid or anything. ;) It's like every hair on my body will brush a nerve and cause a restless sensation. I don't think I have any anxiety about anything, work is great, nothing otherwise seems to be on the horizon. Sleeping pills supposedly don't give you natural sleep and make you feel like a zombie. And having sex isn't always an option, as my girlfriend doesn't live with me. :( I need to get up for work in 3½ hours, and I'm a couple drinks in the hole already.

duragezic

Lifer
Oct 11, 1999
Originally posted by: ndee
Smoke some weed. That gets me sleepy.
Yah start in the evening and then at night eat (I've found eating after smoking burns you out a bit) so you'll be sleeping good then.