WTF is with the pop-ups?

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

atrowe

Banned
May 20, 2001
Just a guess here, but I think there's something in the HTML for the banner ads that's causing them. Somebody want to check the source on a page where one pops up?

kt

Diamond Member
Apr 1, 2000
Just get a pop-up killer.. no hassle there, kills all the annoying pop ups for me.

civad

Golden Member
May 30, 2001
Claim your Prize:

Debt Consolidation:

Whats going on? Im using IE (eek!) for a change, maybe thats why!!

Zenmervolt

Elite member
Oct 22, 2000
I don't get any pop-ups. I've been using Pop-Up Stopper for over a year now. It stops almost everything and it's free. If you want a new window to open, just hold down Ctrl while clicking the link.

ZV

T2T III

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
Just get a pop-up killer.. no hassle there, kills all the annoying pop ups for me.
I didn't have much luck with Pop-Up Stopper. However, Smasher is working quite well for me. Also, Smasher will manage your cookies for you.

DeRusto

Golden Member
May 31, 2002
I'm not sure the point of the thread was how well your browser stops popups.. thank you for the advice but I know it already:)..

I think the point was that there are suddenly strange pop-ups on Anandtech that weren't there before..even subscribers get them and it is a concern to us non-mozilla/popupkiller users..

Although, mozilla does still kick ass and I would use it if it were not for an aforementioned issue...
rolleye.gif

ThunderGirl

Aug 17, 2001
yep and they are back in bigger boxes GRRR taking up the whole flipping screen now.

The inventor of pop ups was EVIL :p

SWirth86

Golden Member
Aug 31, 2001
Originally posted by: DeRusto
I'm not sure the point of the thread was how well your browser stops popups.. thank you for the advice but I know it already:)..

I think the point was that there are suddenly strange pop-ups on Anandtech that weren't there before..even subscribers get them and it is a concern to us non-mozilla/popupkiller users..

Although, mozilla does still kick ass and I would use it if it were not for an aforementioned issue...
rolleye.gif
Did you try Mozilla 1.1? Released a little while ago:)

Triumph

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
This has happened around here before, and it was something in the ad banners. It wasn't endorsed by AT, and they took care of it pretty quickly.

james78

Jun 12, 2002

rolleye.gif

Track Mozilla bug 30431 . It sounds like a fix for this is almost ready. You may even like to volunter to review the fix.

DeRusto

Golden Member
May 31, 2002
Originally posted by: SWirth86

rolleye.gif
Did you try Mozilla 1.1? Released a little while ago:)

Yeah, I did try 1.1 but I downloaded it on my machine when I was running Linux. I reformatted back to XP because I wanted better support for my sound card (GTXP). I haven't downloaded it yet for XP...

DeRusto

Golden Member
May 31, 2002
Originally posted by: james78

rolleye.gif

Track Mozilla bug 30431 . It sounds like a fix for this is almost ready. You may even like to volunter to review the fix.

Excellent.. the open-source community kicks ass:)