WTF is what new home builders putting new homes so close together?

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

compman25

Diamond Member
Jan 12, 2006
Originally posted by: JEDIYoda
Originally posted by: NFS4
Originally posted by: Ronstang
Land is expensive and neighborhoods of late have been following the formula you describe. The worst part is the developers go in and cut down all the trees and then stack the houses on top of each other. I could never live in a neighborhood like that. It is much better to buy an older house in a nice established neighborhood and renovate it to your liking. Just about everything new sucks these days.

That area was FULLY wooded before they came in. It was loaded with trees... like a huge forest.

Then they came through and cut down EVERY tree. ALL OF 'EM! It's ridiculous. They didn't even leave a few of 'em up.

Din`t blame the developer...blame the city for allowing that to happen!!

Start attending city council meetings and lobby to have th ecodes changed. There are lots of cities that make the developers leave a certain amount of trees per lot/acre/whatever. You can get it changed.

imported_weadjust

Golden Member
Apr 23, 2004
Little boxes on the hillside,
Little boxes made of ticky tacky,
Little boxes on the hillside,
Little boxes all the same.
There's a green one and a pink one
And a blue one and a yellow one,
And they're all made out of ticky tacky
And they all look just the same.

And the people in the houses
All went to the university,
Where they were put in boxes
And they came out all the same,
And there's doctors and lawyers,
And business executives,

And they all play on the golf course
And drink their martinis dry,
And they all have pretty children
And the children go to school,
And the children go to summer camp
And then to the university,
Where they are put in boxes
And they come out all the same.

And the boys go into business
And marry and raise a family
In boxes made of ticky tacky
There's a green one and a pink one
And a blue one and a yellow one,

JulesMaximus

No Lifer
Jul 3, 2003
My house is about 15' away from my neighbor's house. Land is at a premium in SoCal and builders like to cram as many homes in an area to maximize profits.

Imdmn04

Platinum Member
Jan 28, 2002
Because land is expensive now.

Would you rather pay 400k for a new house that is 8 feet apart from the next one or 800k for the same house that is 20 feet apart?

Turin39789

Lifer
Nov 21, 2000
Originally posted by: Imdmn04

Would you rather pay 400k for a new house that is 8 feet apart from the next one or 800k for the same house that is 20 feet apart?

smaller house, more land

Sluggo

Lifer
Jun 12, 2000
Sadly, the tree issue is more out of necessity, than the developer just wanting the expense of cutting them down.

As a general rule, people dislike houses and neighborhoods that continually flood when it rains. Storm water run-off is also highly regulated by most states as well as the federal government. Most undeveloped land needs so much dirtwork work to accomplish the proper runoff that without removal of the trees, most would die anyway and the cost of removal would fall on the homeowner.

Most trees will die if the soil around them is disturbed a major amount. Dirt piled up around the trunk will kill them. Dirt scraped off of the root system will kill them, and dirt that is compacted around the root system will generally cause trees to die.

spidey07

No Lifer
Aug 4, 2000
Originally posted by: Sluggo
Sadly, the tree issue is more out of necessity, than the developer just wanting the expense of cutting them down.

As a general rule, people dislike houses and neighborhoods that continually flood when it rains. Storm water run-off is also highly regulated by most states as well as the federal government. Most undeveloped land needs so much dirtwork work to accomplish the proper runoff that without removal of the trees, most would die anyway and the cost of removal would fall on the homeowner.

Most trees will die if the soil around them is disturbed a major amount. Dirt piled up around the trunk will kill them. Dirt scraped off of the root system will kill them, and dirt that is compacted around the root system will generally cause trees to die.

What?

It's very easy to design drainage for huge amounts of land. It's not like we've been doing it for 6000 years or anything. This is what the water/sewer company is in charge of.

Undeveloped land has already formed natural drainage/passage ways. I'm no tree hugger, but I also simply will never buy land that doesn't have trees. They're the best noise barrier there is. Also my land has some 20 trees and my lot backs up to a major creek, the trees are doing very well. So well that their fighting each other.

SearchMaster

Diamond Member
Jun 6, 2002
I hate those neighborhoods and would never live there. My house now sits on 1.5+ acres, plus it's on Lake Lanier. So with the Army Corps property behind me leading up to the water (or now, mud), it's really more like 5 acres of woodland. I can currently only see one house from my house and she's across the street. The lot next to me just got sold so soon it will be two houses I can see.

<-- hugs my lot

Slew Foot

Lifer
Sep 22, 2005
Almost every new development in CA is like that. Kinda sucks. I suppose when you give strawberry pickers 700K loans, that's what happens.

Descartes

Lifer
Oct 10, 1999
Originally posted by: SearchMaster
I hate those neighborhoods and would never live there. My house now sits on 1.5+ acres, plus it's on Lake Lanier. So with the Army Corps property behind me leading up to the water (or now, mud), it's really more like 5 acres of woodland. I can currently only see one house from my house and she's across the street. The lot next to me just got sold so soon it will be two houses I can see.

<-- hugs my lot

It's beautiful up there, but the issue of this thread is mostly with more urban environments I believe. An acre of land in Atlanta, or even most suburbs, will run you anywhere from ~$100k to probably a million or more closer to the city. An acre of good land in Alpharetta, for example, is easily $100-200k.

I have a wooded 0.5 acre in Alpharetta, and while I'd love to have more land there's just no way I could live so far from the city. It still takes an hour or more to get anywhere.

Descartes

Lifer
Oct 10, 1999
Originally posted by: Imdmn04

The difference between 8 and 20 feet is negligible. I wouldn't pay any premium at all for the extra few feet. I also wouldn't pay a premium for these barren acre lots that they seem to advertise so frequently. To me, the point of having land is so that you have some sense of privacy, but if I can look out of my house and see all of my neighbors I don't care if it's 2 feet or 2 acres.

ponyo

Lifer
Feb 14, 2002
It's sad but I starting to see this type of development out in the somewhat rural areas with plenty of land.

DrPizza

Administrator Elite Member Goat Whisperer
Mar 5, 2001
www.slatebrookfarm.com
Originally posted by: Fritzo
We have 2/3 acre lots...I'd have a hard time throwing a baseball and hitting my neighbor's house :) I think that is more common on the coasts than in the mid-west.

You could drive a golf ball here. In fact, I've found golf balls that my sons have hit, and not even our house is in view.

PingSpike

Lifer
Feb 25, 2004
Originally posted by: Capt Caveman
Originally posted by: loki8481
it's been like this forever in the north east.

Where in the north east? I don't see any of these type developments.

Not in VT that I can see...the older neighborhoods are the only ones that approach that close. The newer developments are fairly tight for my tastes, but no where near as bad as the OP's pic. My town has some law on development that all lots must be at least 5 acres...my lot is one of the smaller ones at 4.15 and was grandfathered in. Its an annoying law if you're developing, but it *does* keep the country feel.

alkemyst

No Lifer
Feb 13, 2001
Originally posted by: Zorro
Zero Lot Line.

QFT, BTW OP, welcome to the last decade or more.

One side of each house will usually have no windows or glassblock and be at the minimum setback. The other side will have a bit of side yard and regular windows.

This is one of the reasons I bought an older home in my area.

alkemyst

No Lifer
Feb 13, 2001
Originally posted by: Ronstang
Originally posted by: NFS4
That area was FULLY wooded before they came in. It was loaded with trees... like a huge forest.

Then they came through and cut down EVERY tree. ALL OF 'EM! It's ridiculous. They didn't even leave a few of 'em up.

What is even more ridiculous is they then plant little twig trees in the yard so there will be trees in 20 years. It is quite stupid. I have spent all my life living in neighborhoods that built around the nice trees and now the areas are simply gorgeous. People are stupid these days though and most don't know what quality is nor do they demand it so no one offers it.

Most landscape is fast growing that builders use. Most trees that are over 20 years old would be considered overgrown for the lot sizes used.

In large lot communities often the natural landscape is salvaged as much as possible (adding to cost to build).

NFS4

No Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
Originally posted by: redly1
OMG...what if your neighbor had a fire? That can't be safe

And with the houses having vinyl siding, one house catching on fire would surely melt the vinyl (if not more) on the house next door

May 16, 2000
yeah, i find it completely unacceptable. I wish towns would start implementing a 25' rule (at a bare minimum). You alleviate SO MANY problems just by spacing people out a little.

Martin

Lifer
Jan 15, 2000
Hurray for suburbia!

You know, I think people are just too obsessed with floor space - they place such a huge premium on having a ton of space in the house that everything else else - lot sizes, trees, location, build quality etc takes a huge backseat. This is why you end up with horrible places like Markham (pic above), which are pretty common everywhere these days.

pontifex

Lifer
Dec 5, 2000
so they can cram more houses in and charge more because its a "community".

we also have an overpopulation problem as well.

magomago

Lifer
Sep 28, 2002
Think of it this way - higher population density....we always talk about how sick suburbia has become and how it has separated people from each other...well this is a way to turn it around. And in all honesty - how much more "space" does one get who lives in the city? Probably even less since most often the same building is shared.

Anyways its really common in California...its actually the standard.

0roo0roo

No Lifer
Sep 21, 2002
Originally posted by: redly1
OMG...what if your neighbor had a fire? That can't be safe

like deadwood!
heh you know those old western towns with all the buildings touching....instant firestorm:p

unless the houses are brick or steel it is asking for trouble.