WTF is Second Life?

AnthroAndStargate

Golden Member
Oct 7, 2005
Before you say wrong forum I believe this is fit for Off Topic since it is more a socio-cultural phenomena/social networking thingy. From what I can tell.

Is Second Life like the old Active Worlds? How long has this been around? It seems old - can't believe I have never heard of it before!

AnthroAndStargate

Golden Member
Oct 7, 2005
Originally posted by: SmoochyTX
I was part of There when it started. It sucked. Second Life sucks.

Sims > all

Reading the news articles about it and stuff makes it seem like a hyper-up surreal virtual world.

SmoochyTX

Lifer
Apr 19, 2003
Originally posted by: AnthroAndStargate
Originally posted by: SmoochyTX
I was part of There when it started. It sucked. Second Life sucks.

Sims > all

Reading the news articles about it and stuff makes it seem like a hyper-up surreal virtual world.
Try it and see if you like it.

Beev

Diamond Member
Apr 20, 2006
I think I saw someone playing that in my old dorm. It looked way sh!tty and lagged like hell and had tons of graphical glitches everywhere.

Ryan

Lifer
Oct 31, 2000
My boyfriend is all into it - I can't stand the program. The level that most people hate myspace, is the level I hate Secondlife.

jagec

Lifer
Apr 30, 2004
Originally posted by: ViRGE
Originally posted by: NanoStuff
Overhyped piece of ****** sums it up well.
Don't forget the Furries and Pedos(way NSFW). It's basically a sandbox for the scum of the Earth to settle in.

Ever since a group of goons created a group that memorably forced down the price of virtual land and recreated September 11th in-world, Linden Labs has declared that Something Awful forum members are outlaws by default. Right now, they're attempting to have a few goons prosecuted under federal law, claiming that setting off virtual nukes or grey-goo attacks qualify as VWMD's. That's right. "Virtual Weapons of Mass Destruction", which have apparently left Iraq and gone digital!
That's hilarious.:laugh:

xcript

Diamond Member
Apr 3, 2003
I have an account and have played it a few times, but I didn't find it very entertaining.

CountZero

Golden Member
Jul 10, 2001
Its an interesting idea but right now it reflects the early days of the internet but 3D. So imagine a bunch of terribly done homepages that had to be handcoded with bits stolen from every other homepage and you get the idea. Also throw in the emergence of chat programs but with 3D avatars for the furries and so on and you can see where a great idea has gone astray.

Aside from it being run by a single company I think it represents in some ways the cyberpunk idea of cyberspace as a place you go to and interact with.

IceBergSLiM

Lifer
Jul 11, 2000
installed it. played for 5 minutes. Insanely slow. And i dont think my video card was up to snuff. Highly likely i will never play again.

BCYL

Diamond Member
Jun 7, 2000
I really don't understand what the point of Second Life is... Do people just logon and walk around? what's the objective?

jagec

Lifer
Apr 30, 2004
Originally posted by: StevenYoo
reminds of Neal Stephenson's idea of the Metaverse in his book Snow Crash

Yeah, except people in there seemed more-or-less normal. Certainly it didn't mention as many bizarre fetishes. Are there really that many deviants in your average population, waiting for anonymity to expose their inner perv? Or does the internet just appear to magnify their effect?