WTF is emo music?

iamwiz82

Lifer
Jan 10, 2001
whiny white suburbanites who had a tough life being picked on in high school. The perfect music for ATOT ;)

Shockwave

Banned
Sep 16, 2000
Originally posted by: GoodDad
Originally posted by: dighn
best. genre. ever.

care to give some examples?

Sure. Take dog shyte, mix in some spinach and a bloody tampon, blend for 2 minutes on Puree then serve. Thats the audio equivelant of Emo.

MikeMike

Lifer
Feb 6, 2000
its music about people who had "horrible" childhoods. they just scream about their issues, normally horrible guitarists, and horrible singers, but "it hits home" with a lot of ppl supposedly thus its popular.

i just searched "emo" on shareaza to see some artist names, Anti-flag comes up for an anti-emo song, Spitalfield has an emo song it seems, now i dont listen to emo so i dont know if these represent what all emo music is like.

MIKE

Dufman

Golden Member
Dec 29, 2002
Originally posted by: parsley007
dashboard confessional?

<start plug>

w00t
i booked the lead singer to do a rare acoustic performance at my college (indiana university of pa)

PM me for ticket info

</end plug>

UnatcoAgent

Diamond Member
Oct 25, 1999
Can someone list off a bunch of bands ? I don't really get a good idea of what Emo is from this thread yet, and I was wondering myself the other day.

Thanks.

weezergirl

Diamond Member
May 24, 2000
I love how people are bashing emo even though they dont' even know what it is or know what bands are EMO. ok..hip to bash emo i guess?

emo bands: the get up kids, jimmy eat world, weezer (pinkerton album), dashboard confessional, saves the day, those are some of the big ones.

emo is basically sad (some say whiny) pop/punk/rock music

MikeMike

Lifer
Feb 6, 2000
ok, well i did not know those were emo bands, some of the "underground" emo bands suck. weezer is good, Jimmy eat world is good.

however, i have never classified them as emo, i have heard some more recent emo songs at work, ppl i work with listen to it, and i really just cannot like it.

MIKE

weezergirl

Diamond Member
May 24, 2000
Originally posted by: nourdmrolNMT1
ok, well i did not know those were emo bands, some of the "underground" emo bands suck. weezer is good, Jimmy eat world is good.

however, i have never classified them as emo, i have heard some more recent emo songs at work, ppl i work with listen to it, and i really just cannot like it.

MIKE

since you like weezer you are forgiven ;)

Shockwave

Banned
Sep 16, 2000
Originally posted by: weezergirl
I love how people are bashing emo even though they dont' even know what it is or know what bands are EMO. ok..hip to bash emo i guess?

emo bands: the get up kids, jimmy eat world, weezer (pinkerton album), dashboard confessional, saves the day, those are some of the big ones.

Nope, I couldnt name a band. Why? What I HAVE heard majorly sucks ass. And I've heard more then then just one song trust me. My friends studio has recorded for emo bands while I was there.
I've heard it and it sucks.

weezergirl

Diamond Member
May 24, 2000
Originally posted by: Shockwave

Nope, I couldnt name a band. Why? What I HAVE heard majorly sucks ass. And I've heard more then then just one song trust me. My friends studio has recorded for emo bands while I was there.

The reason there are a lot of BAD emo bands is cuz most of them are a bunch of teenagers who originated in someone's garage. The good ones are really awesome in my opinion. But most emo bands are INDIE not mainstream...so whatever floats your boat.

Shockwave

Banned
Sep 16, 2000

The reason there are a lot of BAD emo bands is cuz most of them are a bunch of teenagers who originated in someone's garage. The good ones are really awesome in my opinion. But most emo bands are INDIE not mainstream...so whatever floats your boat.

Well, since you asked....
Massive Attack.
THAT floats my boat. You can keep your emo. :beer:

Jan 31, 2002
Source

The short and simple answer is that Emo is Hardcore Punk music with sensitive and emotional lyrics. The music is epitomized by post-Grunge, edgy rock with explosive energy mixed with sensitivity. Emotional lyrics about sadness, love and even anger are common lyrical themes. There is also a subculture of young people that are considered Emo. The casual Emo garb is faded blue jeans or slightly oversized work pants accompanied by a secondhand T-shirt with an out of place logo, bad Heavy Metal tees work well too. Good shoes would be Converse Chuck Taylor low-tops or old skool low-top Vans. The more extreme clothes of choice would include horn-rimmed glasses, cardigan sweaters, dorky polo shirts, pants that are a bit too short and hair that is spiky or messy in the back with straight cut bangs.

- M4H

Jan 31, 2002

Well, since you asked....
Massive Attack.
THAT floats my boat. You can keep your emo. :beer:

Wait, you have a boat?

Pics?

- M4H