WTF is Dungeon Overlord? :)

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

dank69

Lifer
Oct 6, 2009
I got into this for a month or so along with a couple guys in the office. At first it seems like you only need to play it a few minutes a day but once you have 5 or 6 dungeons on the go the micromanagement is insane. Minimum of an hour every day to keep things ticking over but I probably was spending twice that much constantly optimising things. That's when I got fed up.

There's very little incentive to actually attack other people either. I used to play Planetarion and there was huge incentive to attack other players. There's a massive abundance of resources in Dungeon Overlord due to the amount of inactive players, and you stand to gain very little whilst risking lots when you attack.

If you're the sort to get roped into games that rely on the sunk cost fallacy (i.e. you're playing not because it's fun but because you've invested so much time into it already) then I'd give this a wide berth. One of the guys in the office got a formal warning concerning his playtime!
I agree with your points, but the game isn't finished yet. Once conquest is enabled, there *might* be something worth fighting for.

They need to rethink the resource collecting/shocking mechanics as well. Way too much clicking at the higher levels like you mentioned.

Newbian

Lifer
Aug 24, 2008
Well collecting isn't to bad as you can increase the size they stack so really you won't need to check your dungeons more then once every 12 hours easy if you get a couple of them and have decent space for them to be stored on.

They have to add a way to get the resources that way or to many people could abuse bots.

As for shocking it's a issue they were hopefully looking at as it also cause some lag and runs it slow as you do a bunch but really only troops attacking bases work the best when you shock them so they do more damage.

dank69

Lifer
Oct 6, 2009
You can already run a script to pick up all your resources but it takes awhile for the server to validate the pickup so you end up waiting anyway.

Newbian

Lifer
Aug 24, 2008
You can already run a script to pick up all your resources but it takes awhile for the server to validate the pickup so you end up waiting anyway.

As long as they are selected and in the bundle form you can leave that dungeon last I checked.

dank69

Lifer
Oct 6, 2009
No the script I'm talking about doesn't bundle them and yes you can leave that dungeon after running it. I actually am pretty sure you can collect all resources from all your dungeons from any dungeon. But it is one line per resource per dungeon, and then if you want to actually use/ship the resources, that's where the waiting comes in, waiting for the client to get the update from the server that the resources are indeed valid and available for use.

I actually don't know anything about web/flash scripting, so if anyone who plays this game does, and would be interested in developing this simple script into something more usable, let me know. I like the game, but the clicking is getting old fast.

Lorne

Feb 5, 2001
I mean that I would just like A stand alone eg single player version.

I just know the problem I was having was it kept cycling the FB load page over and over, If A friend sent gold and I accepted it would enter straight from the accept page np.
The other problems I expect since its new still and being refined.

dank69

Lifer
Oct 6, 2009
I mean that I would just like A stand alone eg single player version.

I just know the problem I was having was it kept cycling the FB load page over and over, If A friend sent gold and I accepted it would enter straight from the accept page np.
The other problems I expect since its new still and being refined.
That looping problem was fixed recently.

Newbian

Lifer
Aug 24, 2008
No the script I'm talking about doesn't bundle them and yes you can leave that dungeon after running it. I actually am pretty sure you can collect all resources from all your dungeons from any dungeon. But it is one line per resource per dungeon, and then if you want to actually use/ship the resources, that's where the waiting comes in, waiting for the client to get the update from the server that the resources are indeed valid and available for use.

I actually don't know anything about web/flash scripting, so if anyone who plays this game does, and would be interested in developing this simple script into something more usable, let me know. I like the game, but the clicking is getting old fast.

Cheating like that in these games makes them no fun plus you can risk loosing your facebook account and really I have had no issues with the game as you don't have to click a lot since you can get them to stack in higher amounts.

I just wish the game was up instead of down for so long but it did make me load Dungeon Keeper 2 again. :p

dank69

Lifer
Oct 6, 2009
It isn't cheating, lol I got the script off their own website.

Bigger stacks don't matter, after 24 hours my rooms are full:

48 squares per node x 3 nodes (lowball average, most of my dungeouns have more) x 6 dungeons = 864 clicks just for minerals + gold + food + research, my god the research! I have enough library tiles to support 25 locks researching in all 6 of my dungeons. Games are supposed to be fun not clicking for the sake of clicking.

How does using the script give someone any advantage at all? Does someone who can click twice as fast as you have an advantage over you?

Newbian

Lifer
Aug 24, 2008
It isn't cheating, lol I got the script off their own website.

Bigger stacks don't matter, after 24 hours my rooms are full:

48 squares per node x 3 nodes (lowball average, most of my dungeouns have more) x 6 dungeons = 864 clicks just for minerals + gold + food + research, my god the research! I have enough library tiles to support 25 locks researching in all 6 of my dungeons. Games are supposed to be fun not clicking for the sake of clicking.

How does using the script give someone any advantage at all? Does someone who can click twice as fast as you have an advantage over you?

Just saying when you start using scripts to play games for you it means it's no longer fun for you usually and means it's time to find something new.

Checking the game once or twice a day is much better then many games out there like this and it's fun for me, or at least it is when it's up. :p

Also the game does get better when you actually attack or defend and can get a lot more resources that way then making all your dungeons research ones as usually your first dungeon is a attack one and later on another so you can pillage players since you can't do that from the starter one.

dank69

Lifer
Oct 6, 2009
Just saying when you start using scripts to play games for you it means it's no longer fun for you usually and means it's time to find something new.

Checking the game once or twice a day is much better then many games out there like this and it's fun for me, or at least it is when it's up. :p

Also the game does get better when you actually attack or defend and can get a lot more resources that way then making all your dungeons research ones as usually your first dungeon is a attack one and later on another so you can pillage players since you can't do that from the starter one.
I don't want a script to play the game for me. I don't want a script to pick up resouces for me when I can't log in. I wan't a simple button to click once that picks up my 1000+ stacks of resources instead of picking them up one at a time. I expect to have to log in to click said button. It is a poor design choice in an otherwise amusing game.

As for the research I am just powering through it so I can reclaim all those tiles for building raiding/crafting dungeons once I am done.