WTF is Dungeon Overlord? :)

SunnyD

Belgian Waffler
Jan 2, 2001
www.neftastic.com
No, really.. that's the title of this video.

Let me scare you by saying - it's a facebook game. But before you go running off in terror thinking "Oh noes!!! It's DungeonVille!!!!" - watch the video.

Seriously. If Kalypso's Dungeons left you dry in the mouth, how does a Massively Multiplayer Dungeon Keeper-like game sound to you. Oh yes, I should point out that it is played in realtime.

One thing to be scared about... it's made by Sony Online Entertainment.

I'm literally afraid to play it... because I might actually enjoy a facebook game.

KaOTiK

Lifer
Feb 5, 2001
Can't sorry, Facebook disqualifies anything in my book but free sex with hot chicks

KaOTiK

Lifer
Feb 5, 2001
I watched some of it but the dudes voice was getting really annoying so skipped around a lil bit and watched.

It looks neat, but it is Facebook, hell I'm not even a fan of browser based games.

AFurryReptile

Golden Member
Nov 5, 2006
Looks fun. I'm not a fan of Facebook games either, but I may get a few friends to try it out with me and see if it's worth my time.

paperfist

Diamond Member
Nov 30, 2000
www.the-teh.com
Wow so Facebook has all the grandmas and grandpas holed up playing Farmville and now all the 30 somethings will be holed up playing Dungeon Overlord. GENIUS!

Next up the WoW killer to nail all the 20 somethings.

And then China invades :D

SunnyD

Belgian Waffler
Jan 2, 2001
www.neftastic.com
Wow so Facebook has all the grandmas and grandpas holed up playing Farmville and now all the 30 somethings will be holed up playing Dungeon Overlord. GENIUS!

:hmm:

/furiously scribbles business plan

destrekor

Lifer
Nov 18, 2005

Wait. There are a ton of 20- and 30-somethings that play FarmVille. I know quite a few unfortunately. Also a few teens.
I can't do it, but I see everyone around me had got sucked into it at some point. Really quite funny to watch your professors and classmates talking to each other about their farms, face-to-face.

Skott

Diamond Member
Oct 4, 2005
My oldest niece and her daughter play it. She's in her 20s. I hated that auto alert saying she did this or bought that or needs help getting something. Annoying as all get out! Glad they turned that stuff off. I really didn't want to know.

Edit: Btw, the guy that runs the company that makes those games for FB? Multi-millionaire. He tapped into a lucrative untapped market apparently. Saw a report on tv about him. The report also said bad people were using the games to steal info and con people out of money through hacks.

Last edited:

paperfist

Diamond Member
Nov 30, 2000
www.the-teh.com
:hmm:

/furiously scribbles business plan

We all thumb our noses and laugh about it, but Skott's post is right there's some rich ass people who made a fortune off these Flash games.

hmm I wonder how hard Flash is to learn :)

Wait. There are a ton of 20- and 30-somethings that play FarmVille. I know quite a few unfortunately. Also a few teens.
I can't do it, but I see everyone around me had got sucked into it at some point. Really quite funny to watch your professors and classmates talking to each other about their farms, face-to-face.

Yeah I know, I was just stereo typing :)

What's also funny is all those people playing it most likely used to make fun of gamers before calling them 'nerds' and 'geeks' and now they are addicted to 1983 levels of gaming. Ahhh kettle...black...

Last edited:

Newbian

Lifer
Aug 24, 2008
Bumping this thread as I just found the game the other day and busy building my dungeon up to kill everyone I can find. ;)

DucatiMonster696

Diamond Member
Aug 13, 2009
Basically it's dungeon keeper in a browser right?

Edit: Watched the video..yup a browser based dungeon keeper. Might check this out.

Last edited:

Newbian

Lifer
Aug 24, 2008
The game is fun but as you get more dungeons there is way to much micromanaging as there are so many resource types, furniture, and a ton of rooms.

It's not like other conquest games like tribalwars where each city you control is fairly easy to control and it becomes a pain fast because of it being in flash and a bit slow.

Aikouka

Lifer
Nov 27, 2001
I'm assuming that's a TotalBiscuit video based on the title (he does a lot of "WTF is..." videos). I am kind of curious what he thinks but being a Facebook game... I vehemently hate those because of all that silly Farmville spam I used to see.

I'm also not a huge fan of a micro transaction model... it's starting to permeate the mobile market as well :\.

Newbian

Lifer
Aug 24, 2008
There is no bonus at this time for getting a bunch of friends or when you post stuff as nothing really is needed from others so at least that helps.

It's just if you love micromanaging then this game is for you, I think I will stick with Dungeon Keeper 2 at times as just like in other games such as tribalwars this game will take all your time if you want to survive.

aigomorla

CPU, Cases&Cooling Mod PC Gaming Mod Elite Member
Super Moderator
Sep 28, 2005
its a game where ur the demon king.. and u need to setup dungeons to fight heros.

Or thats what i got the gist of.

Newbian

Lifer
Aug 24, 2008
Hey sunny... I blame you!!!

Way to suggest a fun game only for Sony to bring it down for days and make me sad because of it. :(

Judgement

Diamond Member
Feb 8, 2001
Dungeon Keeper was the shizzzz

but I wont touch FB games

or SOE for that matter

Carcass

Jun 14, 2010
I got into this for a month or so along with a couple guys in the office. At first it seems like you only need to play it a few minutes a day but once you have 5 or 6 dungeons on the go the micromanagement is insane. Minimum of an hour every day to keep things ticking over but I probably was spending twice that much constantly optimising things. That's when I got fed up.

There's very little incentive to actually attack other people either. I used to play Planetarion and there was huge incentive to attack other players. There's a massive abundance of resources in Dungeon Overlord due to the amount of inactive players, and you stand to gain very little whilst risking lots when you attack.

If you're the sort to get roped into games that rely on the sunk cost fallacy (i.e. you're playing not because it's fun but because you've invested so much time into it already) then I'd give this a wide berth. One of the guys in the office got a formal warning concerning his playtime!

Last edited:

Lorne

Feb 5, 2001
I gave up on it, Was well into my 5th room and had all the goodies trying to beat down my frontdoor, FB and or Sony started having issues and I couldnt get on to play.
Once I was able to I find all my mobs on strike and im cleaned out, A whole new list of red attack skulls fills the left side of the screen, I tried to make some of recovery to fend off the att but FB had another issue and wouldnt let me into the game again.
I gave up right then and there on all FB games.

I would like to see DO come out as a stand alone game, I do like the DK style.

Newbian

Lifer
Aug 24, 2008
I gave up on it, Was well into my 5th room and had all the goodies trying to beat down my frontdoor, FB and or Sony started having issues and I couldnt get on to play.
Once I was able to I find all my mobs on strike and im cleaned out, A whole new list of red attack skulls fills the left side of the screen, I tried to make some of recovery to fend off the att but FB had another issue and wouldnt let me into the game again.
I gave up right then and there on all FB games.

I would like to see DO come out as a stand alone game, I do like the DK style.

It wasn't FB that had the issues but Sony so if it came out as a stand alone game it wouldn't help any.