WTF has happened to Rolling Stone magazine!?!?

Fausto

Elite Member
Nov 29, 2000
I recall reading it growing up that they reported on music news with an undercurrent of social consciousness. My wife ended up with a free subscription recently and it's become almost complete crap. Some half-naked bimbo on the cover nearly every month.....recently a huge story on the unbelievably-vapid Asia Argento....this month a story on the equally vapid and irrelevant Christina Aguilera with the added bonus of a diagram sidebar detailing her various piercings? 12 pages of formerly nice cars reduced to gold chrome-sodden pimpmobiles? The only bit of substance I could find in the most recent issue is two pages of Tom Petty detailing all that's broken in the music industry today.

Maybe I'm just old, but it's more like Tiger Beat than the Rolling Stone of old. At least I didn't pay for the subscription. :disgust:

Zebo

Elite Member
Jul 29, 2001
Haha Looking for substance in Rolling Stone or any popular media for that matter?

Kadarin

Lifer
Nov 23, 2001
Ever since Clear Channel, Inc. took over US radio, the entire music industry has become vapid and irrelevant.

Fausto

Elite Member
Nov 29, 2000
Originally posted by: Astaroth33
Ever since Clear Channel, Inc. took over US radio, the entire music industry has become vapid and irrelevant.

So it would seem. Thank god for our local music scene.

ElFenix

Elite Member
Super Moderator
Mar 20, 2000
Originally posted by: Fausto1
this month a story on the equally vapid and irrelevant Christina Aguilera with the added bonus of a diagram sidebar detailing her various piercings?
i'd st@b her

Chaotic42

Lifer
Jun 15, 2001
Originally posted by: Fausto1
Originally posted by: Astaroth33

So it would seem. Thank god for our local music scene.

I work at 3 local radio stations. You'd better enjoy it while it lasts. Small town radio is dying off. People aren't listening as much as they used to, and Clear Channel has so much money that they can come in a devistate an area. It's hard to get advertisers in local areas, and we can't stream on the internet thanks to the RIAA. CC can of course, because they have billions of dollars.

Our stations are #1 in their demographics, and we can't afford to hire new people, so I work 75 hours a week, 7 days a week, and have 4 job titles.

Enjoy it while you can.

wolf papa

Dec 12, 1999
I also grew up with Rolling Stone in the '70s and 80s, but it got bad YEARS ago - used to have some insightful articles and news about new bands and music. I stopped reading it in the late '80s or early '90s when it started getting more like GQ or something.