wtf exactly are the "egg" in frozen breakfast sandwiches?

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

lxskllr

No Lifer
Nov 30, 2004
I mean theres not a huge prep time in slicing a croissant open, getting a slice of ham and a slice of cheese and putting it in the croissant!
It's a good bit of prepare time. Crack the egg(are you gonna scramble it?), wash hands, put oil in the pan, heat oil. Alternate is use some kind of greasy pig, cook that first, and use the oil for the egg. Regardless of order you have to get the pig out of the fridge or a can. Open package, cut pig. Wash hands again. Get a new package to store pig in the fridge, or spend some time reclosing the ziploc seal that never closes right, All the while you're fucking with the stuff in the pan making sure the heat's right, and it doesn't burn. Get bread product, cut if necessary, put in toaster oven. Fuck with the pan some more. Bread out of the toaster and on a plate, pig egg and cheese on the bread, and admire your dirty dishes. Also ponder over the time it'll take to get your shit ready for work since you've just wasted 10+ minutes dicking with breakfast.

vs

Remove package from freezer, and sandwich from package. Place sandwich on plate, and put in microwave for 1:00. Get coffee ready. Coffee's started, 1:00 is done. Flip sandwich, put back in nuker for 1:33. Replace cool packs in cooler, refill canteens, and get my nuts and dried fruit ready for lunch. Sandwich is done. Remove from microwave, put plate on counter, flip sandwich and shift it slightly so the bread can dry, and cool a touch. Water's heated for coffee, and make a pot of pourover. Eat sandwich, fill thermos, travel cup, and house cup with coffee. I have 1 dish dirty, and 5+ minutes left of my time I'd have been dicking with breakfast the other way. I use that time to cut vegetables, cut a piece of brown bread, get my fruit, and a can of fish.

Pretty sure I know which one's the winner.

edit:
Forgot, and this /may/ help OP. I use a stoneware saucer for the sandwich. I got a whole bunch of cups/saucers from the thriftshop that came with the plates I wanted. I don't use cups/saucers, but the saucers make great little plates. Size of the plate seems to matter in a microwave, so something small may give better heating performance. Could also be the plate material. Maybe try a different material to see if it's better.

Last edited:

sdifox

No Lifer
Sep 30, 2005
It's a good bit of prepare time. Crack the egg(are you gonna scramble it?), wash hands, put oil in the pan, heat oil. Alternate is use some kind of greasy pig, cook that first, and use the oil for the egg. Regardless of order you have to get the pig out of the fridge or a can. Open package, cut pig. Wash hands again. Get a new package to store pig in the fridge, or spend some time reclosing the ziploc seal that never closes right, All the while you're fucking with the stuff in the pan making sure the heat's right, and it doesn't burn. Get bread product, cut if necessary, put in toaster oven. Fuck with the pan some more. Bread out of the toaster and on a plate, pig egg and cheese on the bread, and admire your dirty dishes. Also ponder over the time it'll take to get your shit ready for work since you've just wasted 10+ minutes dicking with breakfast.

vs

Remove package from freezer, and sandwich from package. Place sandwich on plate, and put in microwave for 1:00. Get coffee ready. Coffee's started, 1:00 is done. Flip sandwich, put back in nuker for 1:33. Replace cool packs in cooler, refill canteens, and get my nuts and dried fruit ready for lunch. Sandwich is done. Remove from microwave, put plate on counter, flip sandwich and shift it slightly so the bread can dry, and cool a touch. Water's heated for coffee, and make a pot of pourover. Eat sandwich, fill thermos, travel cup, and house cup with coffee. I have 1 dish dirty, and 5+ minutes left of my time I'd have been dicking with breakfast the other way. I use that time to cut vegetables, cut a piece of brown bread, get my fruit, and a can of fish.

Pretty sure I know which one's the winner.

But that is not food...

Last edited:

MrSquished

Lifer
Jan 14, 2013
I could make you a ham, egg and cheese sandwich on toasted bread on a bun in 5 minutes or less. You'll have one dirty pan, and a dish you can put in the dishwasher. And you'll eat real food not some rubbery microwaved concoction.

lxskllr

No Lifer
Nov 30, 2004
I'm gonna say that's impossible. I went through most of the steps, and even then I dropped some. Food fairies don't just drop prepared food off next to the stove to be used.

Source:
I make sandwiches from scratch on weekends, or when I don't have anything better to do.

edit:
and that's not counting the time I could be doing something else while the microwave works. That's literally 30 seconds of work including taking it out of the freezer, and cooks without any input from me, freeing me to do other things.

Reactions: nakedfrog

WelshBloke

Lifer
Jan 12, 2005
I'm gonna say that's impossible. I went through most of the steps, and even then I dropped some. Food fairies don't just drop prepared food off next to the stove to be used.

Source:
I make sandwiches from scratch on weekends, or when I don't have anything better to do.

edit:
and that's not counting the time I could be doing something else while the microwave works. That's literally 30 seconds of work including taking it out of the freezer, and cooks without any input from me, freeing me to do other things.
I just did a fried egg, cheese and ham sandwich in about 5 and a half minutes!
Its got chili sauce as well!
20210621_231059.jpg

Reactions: lxskllr

lxskllr

No Lifer
Nov 30, 2004
Is the ham cooked? I don't buy lunchmeat for the house. Very rarely eat it out either. Usually just the occasional Italian sub.

QueBert

Lifer
Jan 6, 2002
Yup. They aren't too bad for what they are. I like the sausage/egg/cheese on a croissant from aldi. I can stick it in the microwave while I get other stuff together for work. Homemade is much better of course, but it takes way longer, and requires 100% attention.

They're pretty awful, only 2 things that redeem them to me, only take 2.5 minutes to cook, and a 4 pack is like $2.99, which kind of scares me to be honest lol. The Jimmy Dean 4 pack's like double the price.

biscuit sucks on them, sausage has almost no flavor, egg is not an egg and the cheese has no flavor. But, for 3 bucks a box it's a decent enough meal when you don't have time or energy to make something from scratch.

breakfast.JPG

This is one I made from scratch, biscuits, Jimmy Dean maple sausage links (raw ones) an over easy egg and a chipotle American cheese. I cooked everything at the same time on my double flip waffle maker so it didn't take long at all. Was good and greasy and the egg was super runny. The texture of a biscuit when it's been waffled is a bit strange to me, but I definitely love using my waffle maker to make sandwiches of all kinds. And with the double flip model you can cook a lot of stuff at the same time. The biscuits are done in a few minutes, not the 18-20 it takes in an oven, sausage cooks in a fraction of the time too. Egg was cooked in the sausage grease for extra yum.

Ignore the pool of grease on the plate, I'm horrible at taking food pics so I forgot to tidy up the plate before I snapped it.

Last edited:
Reactions: lxskllr

GrumpyMan

Diamond Member
May 14, 2001
Pro-Tip: Take out of the wrapper and wrap in a paper towel for 1 minute 45 seconds on high. At least that works with Jimmy Deans Sausage, Egg and Cheese Croissants.

MrSquished

Lifer
Jan 14, 2013
It should take you around 5 min to make a ham egg and cheese if you just bang it out. You can just wash your hands once before you start to cook.

Put a non-stick pan on the stove, medium-high heat, a bit of oil where your egg is going to go. While it's getting hot, throw your potato bun in the toaster to lightly toast. Grab an egg and your ham. I use taylor ham because in NJ, that's how we roll. But I've done this with just deli sliced ham. Throw your ham slices on the pan. Crack your egg on the part of the pan you saved for your egg and break the yolk so you have a nice fried egg. I grind some pepper onto the egg right then as well.

Ham will cook in a few minutes, flip it once. In the meantime you have flipped your egg. Put a slice of cheese on top of your egg. If the cheese hasn't melted enough for your taste when the egg is done, just flip the egg with the cheese side down for like 10 seconds, then flip it back. Somewhere in this moving about you'll have grabbed your toasted bread, thrown it on a plate and put ketchup on one side. It'll be waiting for you. Assemble and you are good to go.

snoopy7548

Diamond Member
Jan 1, 2005
You people fry your eggs in oil?! What the hell? Haven't you ever heard of butter?

lxskllr

No Lifer
Nov 30, 2004
I use olive oil or swine grease. Swine grease is preferred, but olive oil's fine.