WTF, Computer won't start??

scarfase99

Diamond Member
Feb 4, 2000
i know this should prolly go in support, but the response here is much faster & im sure you all know maybe a quick fix to this problem. I just got the comet case thing, and i hooked everything up, but when i try to power it on, the CPU Fan will start up slow for a second and then just stop, and the PSU does nothing. I know it's not the PSU cuz i tried another one.

Any ideas?

Mrfrog840

Diamond Member
Oct 7, 2000
wish i knew. your video card all the way in and all that good stuff? double check all your connections

illusion88

Lifer
Oct 2, 2001
Bad PSU?
Is it the right PSU for your mobo? Are you sure that the mobo works? Are you shure that everything is plugged in? More information would be great here.

FoBoT

No Lifer
Apr 30, 2001
fobot.com
unplug all the drives and try it
if it does the same thing, reseat all the cards (leaving the drives unplugged)

if it still does it, remove all the cards except the video, try again

still messed up, reseat the ram, try again
still does it, remove/reseat the cpu, try again

scarfase99

Diamond Member
Feb 4, 2000
like the PSU won't even turn on. It's the ECS board, i got it at fry's. Everything was working fine less than a week ago. I haven't changed anything except the case & PSU. i doubt it's any of the cards since the PSU isn't starting (it's not like it's just not posting, it's not even turning on)

any ideas?

FoBoT

No Lifer
Apr 30, 2001
fobot.com
do you have a psu tester? or know somebody that does? if you were in KC i would lend you mine :\

xospec1alk

Diamond Member
Mar 4, 2002
u sure everything is plugged in the rite way? is the cpu fan plugged in? and ur cpu is all the way in the socket? ram is all the way in?

scarfase99

Diamond Member
Feb 4, 2000
i doubt it's the PSU because i tested it out using another PSU that i know worked. I reseated the memory & the cpu, still no luck! :-(

xospec1alk

Diamond Member
Mar 4, 2002
i think the last time that happened to me, i only had to reseat the cpu and the memory and i got it working again....

anways, u check the cmos jumper? is it still in clear?

scarfase99

Diamond Member
Feb 4, 2000
WAHOO!!! I LOVE GOOGLE!!! I searched, read some stuff, tried it out. Turns out that one of the screws to hold the motherboard down i guess was shorting out the PSU. Unscrewed it, tried it outside the case & VOILA!!

Thanks you very much guys, i knew i could count on ur quick responses!!

NikPreviousAcct

No Lifer
Aug 15, 2000
Yeah, I would have responded quicker if you'd have posted it in support. Sorry.

rolleye.gif

BillGates

Diamond Member
Nov 30, 2001
You should have installed Comet Cursor to make your Comet Case work better.