WTF????? Chinese R&B????

swtethan

Diamond Member
Aug 5, 2005
Originally posted by: Powermoloch
Originally posted by: swtethan
i only saw like.... 2 seconds of it, jalba look alike?

nope, not one bit. Maybe the lips I guess.

i guess i didnt watch much, i stopped like 2 seconds into it

PhoenixOrion

Diamond Member
May 4, 2004
Ah..channel V.

Yep, watched a few videos of Chinese and Korean wannabes on that channel...pretty sad I might say.

Makes me want to tell them that wife beater shirts and tats look good on 50 cent but not on skinny, pale skin asian dudes.

bennylong

Platinum Member
Apr 20, 2006
haha...50 cents lookalike, that's what I was thinking. And the dude flipping his hat, like that buck tooth gold capped rapper, Paul Walli or whatever the hell his name is

maddogchen

Diamond Member
Feb 17, 2004
oh Jolin....I don't like her new look. She's trying to go sexy but she's much better looking as cute.. oh well :(

Mrvile

Lifer
Oct 16, 2004
I stopped about three seconds into it, it is embarassing to watch, even alone. I didn't know my people could dress like that :Q

bigj3347

Sep 19, 2004
The chick in the music video is Jolin Tsai, she's actually a very famous female singer from Taiwan.

It seems like there are quite a few ignorant and arrogant people here, judging from the posts. You don't have to like the music, you don't have to watch it. There's no need to mock someone else's music/culture.

Yes, there are plenty of western influences in the dress and fashion of of the asian entertainment industry but if you actually understood the lyrics, you would realize this is a far cry from Candyshop or In Da Club.

Personally, I'm not a huge fan of Jolin but she is definitely not a Chinese wannabe, she's an established artist who sells tens of thousands of albums every year.

HamSupLo

Diamond Member
Aug 18, 2001
Originally posted by: bigj3347
The chick in the music video is Jolin Tsai, she's actually a very famous female singer from Taiwan.

It seems like there are quite a few ignorant and arrogant people here, judging from the posts. You don't have to like the music, you don't have to watch it. There's no need to mock someone else's music/culture.

Yes, there are plenty of western influences in the dress and fashion of of the asian entertainment industry but if you actually understood the lyrics, you would realize this is a far cry from Candyshop or In Da Club.

Personally, I'm not a huge fan of Jolin but she is definitely not a Chinese wannabe, she's an established artist who sells tens of thousands of albums every year.

your point is taken. but my beef is that these taiwanese/HK pop acts are adopting what they see in rap/r&B and trying to pass it off as hip hop. it's basically all about fluff and appearances. I'd much rather see a homegrown music scene happening over there rather then they trying to imitate.

bennylong

Platinum Member
Apr 20, 2006
Originally posted by: HamSupLo

your point is taken. but my beef is that these taiwanese/HK pop acts are adopting what they see in rap/r&B and trying to pass it off as hip hop. it's basically all about fluff and appearances. I'd much rather see a homegrown music scene happening over there rather then they trying to imitate.

agreed. why imitate this crap?

PhoenixOrion

Diamond Member
May 4, 2004
you see something that makes money over in that hemisphere.....why not try it out and see if people in the other hemisphere would gobble it up.

bigj3347

Sep 19, 2004
Originally posted by: bennylong
Originally posted by: HamSupLo

agreed. why imitate this crap?

Not all the music is like that, it's just that the few that are seem to be the ones that gets the most exposure in America. I can't explain it either. As for why they would imitate that crap, my guess would be that there are a lot of fans for that type of music. I mean In Da Club was huge on the radio in taiwan when it first came out. I think there's this cool factor and the general young generation loves it. Consequently, the artists try to incorporate that style in to their music to sell albums. However, like i said earlier,even the imitation style songs are more about love than guns, women and posses.

PhoenixOrion

Diamond Member
May 4, 2004
not to mention that western culture is just damn popular and the influence runs deep.

I turn on the tv in tokyo, shanghai, hong kong and seoul....guess what, local artists are there to locally supply that hip-hop tune or pop song.

britney spears and 50-cent are imitated, its a nice form of flattery. their songs may be crap for some people but i start dancing In Da Club or Hit Me Baby One More Time :p

PanzerIV

Diamond Member
Dec 19, 2002
That video sucked a*s but the singer is really cute. I managed to watch 3/4 of the video because of her. :p