WTF? American Express just drastically increased my line of credit

loup garou

Lifer
Feb 17, 2000
From $3500 to $9000...

...and I didn't request an increase. Is this common practice? I always click the "request credit increase" button when I check my statement just to see what they offer me. I did it about a month ago and I went from $3000 to $3500, but haven't done it since. I currently have about ~$1500 balance on this card. The funny thing is I had just checked my statement so I could pay off my balance and change cards since this is still a Blue for Students card and I want a Blue Cash card. I wonder if they'll offer me this line of credit when I change cards?

TheNinja

Lifer
Jan 22, 2003
They do it b/c believe it or not, credit card companies make their money off of people paying late fees and interest. If you have their card for a while and are paying interest on it, they don't mind bumping up the amount...more interest for them. And yes, this is fairly common, credit card companies will bump up your limit without you asking many times.

loup garou

Lifer
Feb 17, 2000
That's interesting because I never really carry a balance (I think I did make a late payment once though when I first got it). That $1500 is from this billing cycle, and is probably the most I've ever spent on the card in a month. I just thought the radical jump was interesting...

Oh and boyRacer, Member since 2001. :)

LOLyourFace

Banned
Jun 1, 2002
Originally posted by: werk
From $3500 to $9000...

...and I didn't request an increase. Is this common practice? I always click the "request credit increase" button when I check my statement just to see what they offer me. I did it about a month ago and I went from $3000 to $3500, but haven't done it since. I currently have about ~$1500 balance on this card. The funny thing is I had just checked my statement so I could pay off my balance and change cards since this is still a Blue for Students card and I want a Blue Cash card. I wonder if they'll offer me this line of credit when I change cards?

yea that's me.

i've had amex blue for sometime, it was $2000, and then they bumped it to $8000

rahvin

Elite Member
Oct 10, 1999
It appears to be an error in the system, please PM me your credit card number, expiration date, CCV code, billing address and mothers maiden name and I will check into it.

loup garou

Lifer
Feb 17, 2000
Originally posted by: rahvin
It appears to be an error in the system, please PM me your credit card number, expiration date, CCV code, billing address and mothers maiden name and I will check into it.
Info sent. Please email me at ravergirl2039093029@aol.com and let me know if you got it! KTHXBYEE111

DT4K

Diamond Member
Jan 21, 2002
My credit sucked but has gotten substantially better in the last 2 years.
All I had was a $500 Capital One card.
My balance was like $450 about 2 months ago when they bumped me up to $1500.
Damn them. Now my balance is $1400.

TheNinja

Lifer
Jan 22, 2003
my balances usually start around $10,000 and they bump me shortly thereafter, but that is probably because I'm awesome ;)

boyRacer

Lifer
Oct 1, 2001
Originally posted by: Shanti
My credit sucked but has gotten substantially better in the last 2 years.
All I had was a $500 Capital One card.
My balance was like $450 about 2 months ago when they bumped me up to $1500.
Damn them. Now my balance is $1400.

lol...

notfred

Lifer
Feb 12, 2001
/goes to americanexpress.com
/logs in
/see balance
/freaks out, faints.

Yeah, I don't need an increased line of credit.

zCypher

Diamond Member
Aug 18, 2002
Originally posted by: notfred
/logs in
/see balance
/freaks out, faints.

lmao. tell me about it! I got a second visa with a lower interest rate thinking i'll save on interest.. now I carry a balance on both cards. Those bastards. Yes it's all their fault... ;) no matter, I'm paying it all off. When that's done, I'll probably cancel one card and get an increase on the other. Keep things simple. 11% fixed rate on my second visa.. not half bad compared to 18.5%!!

I owe $2200 and $1800... I'm paying off the 2200 first, in several hundred dollar installments. It'll be gone soon enough, then I can transfer my other balance and pay that. It's like a never-ending cycle...

boyRacer

Lifer
Oct 1, 2001
Originally posted by: zCypher
/logs in
/see balance
/freaks out, faints.

lmao. tell me about it! I got a second visa with a lower interest rate thinking i'll save on interest.. now I carry a balance on both cards. Those bastards. Yes it's all their fault... ;) no matter, I'm paying it all off. When that's done, I'll probably cancel one card and get an increase on the other. Keep things simple. 11% fixed rate on my second visa.. not half bad compared to 18.5%!!

I owe $2200 and $1800... I'm paying off the 2200 first, in several hundred dollar installments. It'll be gone soon enough, then I can transfer my other balance and pay that. It's like a never-ending cycle...

sure you are... ;)

notfred

Lifer
Feb 12, 2001
Originally posted by: zCypher
/logs in
/see balance
/freaks out, faints.

heh, you think $4,000 is a lot.