Question [WSJ] Intel in talks to buy GloFo

Page 4 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

coercitiv

Diamond Member
Jan 24, 2014
@Vattila just one problem with all these takes on the possible acquisition of GF, they don't talk much about splitting up design and manufacturing. In fact, becoming a supplier for the U.S. Department of Defense may provide Intel with the wildcard they need to evade such a requirement from US government. I think all options are still on the table, and Intel will try very hard to have their cake and eat it too.

blckgrffn

Diamond Member
May 1, 2003
www.teamjuchems.com

That pipeline article makes it seems like the author is dubious Intel acquisition talks are actually going on, my guess is that the Emerati state holding company Mubadala sees long term profits as a better thing to have then a bunch of dollars (to do what with? what better to invest in than silicon?) today.

We'll see :)

Reactions: lightmanek

Mopetar

Diamond Member
Jan 31, 2011
It doesn't really matter where the fab is located. None of those chips are getting assembled in the U.S. Almost anything diffused here is shipped overseas for final assembly.

I think the whole idea is kind of foolish because the U.S. already had a lot of fabs. Almost anything else that's bleeding edge is in Taiwan or South Korea who are pretty strong allies. What we don't have is assembly and a lot of other associated activities.

Reactions: Tlh97 and Thibsie

Schmide

Diamond Member
Mar 7, 2002
In my unprofessional view on regulatory enforcement and after reading the pipeline story. It would be hard for intel to acquire Global Foundries.

The one swaying factor in intel's bid, they have almost zero presence in fabless contracts, therefore they have little dirty laundry to air.

To witch a regulatory body would ask, if we approve this acquisition, what would you do to ensure fair and equal access for direct or indirect competitors of intel branded technology?

Ajay

Lifer
Jan 8, 2001
It doesn't really matter where the fab is located. None of those chips are getting assembled in the U.S. Almost anything diffused here is shipped overseas for final assembly.

I think the whole idea is kind of foolish because the U.S. already had a lot of fabs. Almost anything else that's bleeding edge is in Taiwan or South Korea who are pretty strong allies. What we don't have is assembly and a lot of other associated activities.
Yeah, it does matter, or should. We should have at least a small scale test and assembly plant in the US for the DOD. Taiwan, in particular, could be subject to a Chinese blockade. This is just logistics 101 for the DOD and, for the life of me, I don’t understand why they don’t insist on it.

blckgrffn

Diamond Member
May 1, 2003
www.teamjuchems.com
Yeah, it does matter, or should. We should have at least a small scale test and assembly plant in the US for the DOD. Taiwan, in particular, could be subject to a Chinese blockade. This is just logistics 101 for the DOD and, for the life of me, I don’t understand why they don’t insist on it.

Having been in the defense industry and knowing how deeply their supply chain requests go and how much they bristle at exports it's baffling that they don't insist on more domestic infrastructure to address their needs. Not to turn this in a P&N issue.

But if there is an entity in the US to force this issue with their suppliers, it's them.

Mopetar

Diamond Member
Jan 31, 2011
Having been in the defense industry and knowing how deeply their supply chain requests go and how much they bristle at exports it's baffling that they don't insist on more domestic infrastructure to address their needs. Not to turn this in a P&N issue.

But if there is an entity in the US to force this issue with their suppliers, it's them.

Welcome to the inescapable problem of representative democracy that will insist on everyone getting a little piece of the pie to the detriment of everyone else.

My original post was meant to suggest that we simply don't have the local industry to deliver on those kinds of demands for local production. We have started plenty of fabs, but practically no one who can assemble an actual CPU.

If we wanted to invest in a business it should be that, not more fabs.

Reactions: Tlh97 and blckgrffn

Roland00Address

Platinum Member
Dec 17, 2008

That pipeline article makes it seems like the author is dubious Intel acquisition talks are actually going on, my guess is that the Emerati state holding company Mubadala sees long term profits as a better thing to have then a bunch of dollars (to do what with? what better to invest in than silicon?) today.

We'll see :)
I have not watched all 3 hours of it yet, but Dr Ian Cuttress of Anandtech also has a YouTube channel separate from Anandtech (Tech Talk Potato 🥔),

well Ian just past 50k subscribers and did a long Q&A and one of the questions was on the subject matter. He doubted it then for he listed how Intel and GF are kind of in separates businesses. Intel is focusing on high performance chips of smaller geometries and GF is the everything else business such as specialized processes for that geometry even if that geometry is larger.

Last edited:

blckgrffn

Diamond Member
May 1, 2003
www.teamjuchems.com
Welcome to the inescapable problem of representative democracy that will insist on everyone getting a little piece of the pie to the detriment of everyone else.

My original post was meant to suggest that we simply don't have the local industry to deliver on those kinds of demands for local production. We have started plenty of fabs, but practically no one who can assemble an actual CPU.

If we wanted to invest in a business it should be that, not more fabs.

No disagreement there. I think it's foolish to have such a critical item of national interest not have a complete supply chain here, even at only reduced levels that would obviously result in having skills/tooling/supply chain established for ramp up if required.

I mean, we (the USA) subsidize/ed aerospace and rocketry because we need to be able to build our own airplanes and rockets for "reasons" but we let what has become a critical piece of both (not to mention so many others) projects develop huge dependencies on external industries.

It's kinda mind boggling tbh.

KompuKare

Golden Member
Jul 28, 2009
Packaging and testing is already very complex and with 3D die stacking and other advanced techniques it is likely get far more complex really soon. Some of the 3D stacking and potentially active cooled (in-die water-cooling) options TSMC has/will have the precision is so great only TSMC themselves can do it.
Can't see a small scale test and assembly plant being able to touch any of that.
Sure, hardened parts for the military are another thing but then they need to be on larger nodes making things easier.

Reactions: Tlh97

Schmide

Diamond Member
Mar 7, 2002

Here here, bring back the Robber Barons. If people wanted to participate, they should have been rich.

Last edited:

Mopetar

Diamond Member
Jan 31, 2011
Here here, bring back the Robber Barons. If people wanted to participate, they should have been rich.

As Winston Churchill said, "Democracy is the worst form of government, except for all of the others."

Don't mistake an expression of issues with a desire to throw the baby out with the bathwater or replace it with something far worse.

Reactions: Tlh97 and Schmide

aigomorla

CPU, Cases&Cooling Mod PC Gaming Mod Elite Member
Super Moderator
Sep 28, 2005
Guys just a friendly reminder... lets not get political and have a mod come in and do clean up...

A///

Diamond Member
Feb 24, 2017
That's why I included that qualifier about the movie :p. Too bad it wasn't more historically accurate then.
Saw it once back when it came out on DVD. Bought the BluRay or whatever it was a few years ago and still haven't sat down to watch it. Might be wrong about getting it when it came on DVD, because I do remember buying both it and Driven, yeah that F1 Driven, at the same time from a bargain bin months after it came out. LOL

DrMrLordX

Lifer
Apr 27, 2000
True, but at least one should be a US fab. Supply lines need to be protected against disruption from foreign intervention (to the greatest extent possible).

I was thinking both: Intel and drumroll please Globalfoundries. Which means if the Pentagon had any brains, they'd encourage the Feds to block a merger.

Guys just a friendly reminder... lets not get political and have a mod come in and do clean up...

It's Intel's darn fault for playing footsie with the DoD.

Packaging and testing is already very complex and with 3D die stacking and other advanced techniques it is likely get far more complex really soon.

Intel has packaging facilities in Malaysia. If they can do it there, they can do it here. Just not as cheaply.

Vattila

Oct 22, 2004
He doubted it then for he listed how Intel and GF are kind of in separates businesses. Intel is focusing on high performance chips of smaller geometries and GF is the everything else business such as specialized processes for that geometry even if that geometry is larger.

Interestingly, about half of TSMC's revenue is from legacy process nodes (16/20nm and older). This funds the development of the leading edge processes. The legacy nodes also have the majority of customers. Intel may be looking to build out this capability to make Intel Foundry Services a viable competitor.

1626775079063.png