WS 2008 IIS help.

Smoblikat

Diamond Member
Nov 19, 2011
So i have set up IIS as, i guess, as an HTTP site. When i run it and go into firefox and type localhost it brings me to an IIS7 page and some other stuff that leads me to beleive that its working. How do i change that page to somthnig else? My goal is to make it a file access server for personal use. I do not want an FTP server (already had an appache server running and dislike it for various reasons). I want to have an HTTP server so i can download entire directories and stream them from the server. not just download single files. PLEASE help me.

imagoon

Diamond Member
Feb 19, 2003
Apache is HTTP...

IIS typically puts the files in c: \inetpub\

FYI what you are describing that you want is FTP for grabbing directories but HTTP for streaming. Key thing is your "streaming files" need to be streaming friendly or being served up by a streaming server. IIS can have "Media Player Services" installed which can stream supported formats.

Last edited:

Smoblikat

Diamond Member
Nov 19, 2011
Apache is HTTP...

IIS typically puts the files in c: \inetpub\

FYI what you are describing that you want is FTP for grabbing directories but HTTP for streaming. Key thing is your "streaming files" need to be streaming friendly or being served up by a streaming server. IIS can have "Media Player Services" installed which can stream supported formats.

Excellent, im extremely nooby. How would I go about setting up my site to do that styreaming and sharing thing? I know how to add services to IIS, but not how to actually use them.

imagoon

Diamond Member
Feb 19, 2003
Media services is downloaded as an .msu file off microsoft.com. You run the .msu and after the install completes you have to enable it in (i think) Server Features. I really have not used it for more than mucking around with. There is a ton of info about it on MSDN. Google tends to find it pretty well.