WRT54G - seems to just freeze?

JungleMan1

Golden Member
Nov 3, 2002
I have a Linksys WRT54G router, (yes, I know, like the other 75% of the population) and I've been having an issue lately. It's hooked into a cable modem from which Internet is shared throughout the house.

Here's the issue: Occasionally the router just decides that it wants to quit accepting any kind of traffic, and it's very erratic. I'll type in a website address and it'll time-out while trying to connect; then I'll try it 10 seconds later and it'll work great. At first, I thought the issue was the cable modem, but I tried pulling up http://192.168.1.1/ in the browser and that too was a problem (likewise, I also pinged 192.168.1.1 and it timed out). As I said, it's erratic.

However...restarting the router makes it work great again. It's just rather annoying that I have to power on/off my router what seems like every day.

Any clues? Thanks.

Rottie

Diamond Member
Feb 10, 2002
did you update latest firmware? Maybe it will fix the problems?

jonny13

Feb 16, 2002
I have the same router and I notice when it is warm in the room where the router is, it does this more often. In the past few months it has been very cold in the basement (in MN) and I haven't had a single issue. During the summer, I need to restart it at least once a week when the basement is warmer. Try keeping it in a cooler place or even had a big fan for a while to see if the issue goes away. Then you can narrow it down to cooler or not.

Rottie

Diamond Member
Feb 10, 2002
my router version 3.0 is about to withstand heat coming out of heater overnight...heater is about 5 to 10 feet from the router therefore it has nothing to do with cold or warm.