Wriless recommendations for a specific situation

SamMaster

Jun 26, 2010
Greetings everyone,

I will cut the intro and get to the point:

I have a D-Link DIR-615 C1. It is situated in a 12'x12' "guest room" about 30' outside the house (don't ask why, it is there, it will stay there, and that is that). It served me well for a few years, but lately my needs require me to have more transmission power out of it.

I did research and I decided upon the following to boos the signal:
http://www.ncix.com/products/?sku=69355
As well as this to connect:
http://www.ncix.com/products/?sku=69362

Upon further research, however, I realised that my antennas are for all intents and purpouses permanent. I have no desire to risk damaging my router while spending money for it, so I am wondering if any router with detachable antennas would be recommended. A DIR-815 router peaks my interest at present, but if you have recommendations at around the same price it would be appreciated.

Note: Gigabit Ethernet is not necessary.

Note: my current router works fine at present when outside the house (with one wall). But as soon as you get through the door you lose signal. I actualy have a Wii that sits at the other end of the house (3 walls between router and Wii) and I needed to put aluminum foil under it to get a connection.

Note: I have my desktop wired to the router for now, but it will move out of the guest room soon, where signals in the house is difficult, hence the need for all this.

Thanks in advance.

SamMaster

Jun 26, 2010
Just to summarise, I would like recommendations for a wireless N router with detachable antennas that allow me to attach external ones, and if I should use one of the above antenna or two.

Lithium381

Lifer
May 12, 2001
So there is only one router, and it's located outside the house? Is there a reason you can't place a second router indoors? Maybe I'm not understanding. Can you throw up a quick MS-PAINT drawing of what you're working with here?

SamMaster

Jun 26, 2010
So there is only one router, and it's located outside the house? Is there a reason you can't place a second router indoors? Maybe I'm not understanding. Can you throw up a quick MS-PAINT drawing of what you're working with here?

Well the situation is a bit complex, and results in the antenna that gives me internet (radio tower connection, only one available here sadly :( ) to be in that "guest house" and so requires a wireless router there. I could have a wireless router inside the house but that doesn't solve the connection strength issue and having wires all over the place here is not something desirable (don't want to buy the Wii's Ethernet adapter, and a laptop with a wire defeats the purpose, ac is enough).

Here is an artist's rendition of the setup:
house.jpg

Jack, I take it that the router has a good reputation for reliability, correct? Also, would you recommend using one of the antennas linked above or should I use two?

Lithium381

Lifer
May 12, 2001
Well the situation is a bit complex, and results in the antenna that gives me internet (radio tower connection, only one available here sadly :( ) to be in that "guest house" and so requires a wireless router there. I could have a wireless router inside the house but that doesn't solve the connection strength issue and having wires all over the place here is not something desirable (don't want to buy the Wii's Ethernet adapter, and a laptop with a wire defeats the purpose, ac is enough).

Here is an artist's rendition of the setup:
house.jpg

Jack, I take it that the router has a good reputation for reliability, correct? Also, would you recommend using one of the antennas linked above or should I use two?

Have you considered a repeater on the corner of the house? It eats into your bandwidth possibilities, but it would give you a signal boost all over the house, in theory. If it's just for internet you don't need the full 300mbps from an N router, right?

SamMaster

Jun 26, 2010
Right, and I would seriously consider that, but, you can call me paranoid, there is also the concern of visitors sleeping a couple feet near the router, and I am not comfortable with that. In a separate room ok, but not this close.

Sorry if I appear frustratingly "un-mallable".