WP Op-Ed: Let’s just say it: The Republicans are the problem.

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Phokus

Lifer
Nov 20, 1999
If they dont, then surely republicans will be voted out in record numbers in November right?
Why would the people vote so many republicans into office in 2010 if they wanted a smooth running govt? All the people had to do was hand the democrats a couple seats and it would be a one party system with not a single roadblock for at least 2 years!

We haven't had a government shutdown like the one we had in the 90's yet, like the one that Newt Gingrich instigated, if they did, they WOULD get kicked out of office.

fskimospy

Elite Member
Mar 10, 2006
Do you or the article ever consider a large portion of the country wants gridlock within the federal govt? I wont ever believe a party that gains half the vote is out of the mainstream.

Well if you refuse to ever believe something based on a biannual vote by a group widely known to be hugely ignorant of what they are voting on could be a poor marker of true preferences, I don't really know where we can go from there.

I am fine with people wanting gridlock in government. What that generally means however is that no new laws are being passed. I am not at all convinced that a large portion of the country wants the courts to be hugely backlogged due to a lack of confirmed judges, agencies that already exist being functionally harmed, etc, etc. Again, that is what the article specifically mentions.

Ausm

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
Big deal, you get a liberal asshole from the Brookings institute like Mann and a personal friend of Al Franken like Norman to blame Republicans for everything that's wrong with the country. Next we'll get Moonbeam to tell us Republicans are all mentally defective and craig234 to tell us we're all monsters.

Big fucking deal, as if this is anything new.

I take offense to this post....

Ausm

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
We haven't had a government shutdown like the one we had in the 90's yet, like the one that Newt Gingrich instigated, if they did, they WOULD get kicked out of office.

It Took the Repuglicant's 10 years to bounce back after the shut the Gubermint down the last time.

Genx87

Lifer
Apr 8, 2002
Well if you refuse to ever believe something based on a biannual vote by a group widely known to be hugely ignorant of what they are voting on could be a poor marker of true preferences, I don't really know where we can go from there.

I am fine with people wanting gridlock in government. What that generally means however is that no new laws are being passed. I am not at all convinced that a large portion of the country wants the courts to be hugely backlogged due to a lack of confirmed judges, agencies that already exist being functionally harmed, etc, etc. Again, that is what the article specifically mentions.

I dont know what else you want to base it on? I mean seriously. This is how the system works and has worked since our inception. So because republicans who were voted in record numbers based on a policy of obstructing democrats and Obama in 2010 are now obstructing are now called outside the mainstream? The electorate in this instance knew exactly what they were getting. If they didnt want gridlock there is no reason to vote a minority party into power in one of the chambers. If they want a smoother govt then get back to giving a party full control. I guess we will see how 2012 goes in a few months.

Genx87

Lifer
Apr 8, 2002

I am not even sure what you are trying to say here?

Phokus

Lifer
Nov 20, 1999
I am not even sure what you are trying to say here?

Well, if you weren't around during the 90's when the government was shut down due to the GOP and the public actually called them out for it, maybe you should look it up.

Ausm

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
I dont know what else you want to base it on? I mean seriously. This is how the system works and has worked since our inception. So because republicans who were voted in record numbers based on a policy of obstructing democrats and Obama in 2010 are now obstructing are now called outside the mainstream? The electorate in this instance knew exactly what they were getting. If they didnt want gridlock there is no reason to vote a minority party into power in one of the chambers. If they want a smoother govt then get back to giving a party full control. I guess we will see how 2012 goes in a few months.

WOW a Rightist that actually admits their parties blatant obstructionism...I salute you!

Phokus

Lifer
Nov 20, 1999
Did you even READ THE FUCKING ARTICLE? It was about Dems and Republicans agreeing on CUTS to the fucking government, but Republicans forcing the cuts THEY want (removing cuts to the military for more social cuts... bloated war mongering govt? THERE YOU GO)

So Genx, did the cat get your tongue or something?

fskimospy

Elite Member
Mar 10, 2006

Once again, we seem to be talking past each other. You get that I'm not talking about legislation, right? I'm talking about executive appointments, etc. I'm not aware of any polls that showed the electorate was supportive of leaving the courts unstaffed, etc. Hell, even when the Democrats controlled all the chambers the Republicans still engaged in unprecedented (yes, unprecedented) levels of obstruction. This sort of behavior by the minority party has simply never happened before in America. Ever. I genuinely believe it to be the result of a radicalized party like no other in our modern history.

I would make a very strong bet that if Romney wins you will not see the same type of obstructionism from the Democrats. They simply aren't as radicalized as the Republicans are.

Phokus

Lifer
Nov 20, 1999
The tea party doesn't even believe in small government, they love their medicare/social security, they are against free trade, the majority of the tea party caucus voted FOR CISPA recently. Stop trying to make them out to be anything other than obstructionist shills that'll do an about 180 if/when they retake power.

Genx87

Lifer
Apr 8, 2002
Well, if you weren't around during the 90's when the government was shut down due to the GOP and the public actually called them out for it, maybe you should look it up.

I was around. But that is making my point for me. If the people didnt want gridlock in 2010 they wouldnt have voted in Republicans running on a platform opposing Obama and Democrats. If people dont want gridlock they will vote republicans out in 2012. Just like they took away some of the republicans power in the house after the govt shut down.

Phokus

Lifer
Nov 20, 1999
I was around. But that is making my point for me. If the people didnt want gridlock in 2010 they wouldnt have voted in Republicans running on a platform opposing Obama and Democrats. If people dont want gridlock they will vote republicans out in 2012. Just like they took away some of the republicans power in the house after the govt shut down.

This doesn't make any fucking sense whatsoever, the public isn't that forward looking. Also since when does the public want what tea party activists want? Not even TEA party activists want what you think they want. I find it hard to take seriously a 'small government' movement that hates free trade and loves social security/medicare.

They were voted in to be obstructionists until the GOP held complete power and they George Bush up the government again.

monovillage

Diamond Member
Jul 3, 2008
Frnakly I would not be the least bit surprised to see the GOP implode and essentially disappear within a decade.

There is a real need for an alternate party, and especially a need for a conservative voice, but the current GOP has at it's core hyprocrisy-either they are for freedom or they are for the social engineering and social control of the so-called social conservatives. The real question is how long the liberatarian inclined will continue to hold their noses and suffer their current party mates.

Frankly I think a lot of the voter support the GOP has now is inertia-once a VIABLE alternative to the GOP arises the party will collapse.

I hope you hold your breath for it.
Start now.

monovillage

Diamond Member
Jul 3, 2008
Looking at the hate spewing from the usual Democrat suspects why should any conservative, or rightie or Republican give a rats ass what the fuck you lefties think. I mean honestly why would/should we care?

Phokus

Lifer
Nov 20, 1999
Genx: Guys, the public totally voted those tea party folks in for smaller government!

*Tea Party votes overwhelmingly for CISPA*

http://www.forbes.com/sites/erikkain/2012/04/27/cispa-passes-the-house-with-tea-party-support/

“The complete roll call shows 206 Republicans voting for the bill, 28 against,” writes reason’s Tim Cavanaugh. “Democrats went 42 to 140 in the opposite direction.”

Of these Republicans, “47 of the 66 members of the House Tea Party Caucus” also supported the bill, notes Patrick Cahalan.

As if we needed any more proof that the tea party is mostly 'vote the opposite of democrats' and nothing else.

Phokus

Lifer
Nov 20, 1999
I hope you hold your breath for it.
Start now.

Looks like someone here doesn't realize about demographics changes in the US.

Texas will eventually be a democratic state. Can't wait to see conservative heads explode when that happens.

Hayabusa Rider

Admin Emeritus & Elite Member
Jan 26, 2000
Don't care for Reps but someone has to put a stick in the Dems bike wheels. More people than not oppose things like the mandate and the Dems don't care.

kage69

Lifer
Jul 17, 2003
I'll take the easy route so often taken by those on the left.

"WP isn't a real news source."

Wow, that sounds lame given what was predicted in post 2, and then proven with post 3.

I guess this means Chicken Dance is a "leftie"?

monovillage

Diamond Member
Jul 3, 2008
Put your two I.Q. points together and come up with your own conclusion.....

My conclusion is that like so many other liberals and lefties when someone disagrees with you you'll do anything you can to silence their criticism. It's how liberals roll.

Genx87

Lifer
Apr 8, 2002
Once again, we seem to be talking past each other. You get that I'm not talking about legislation, right? I'm talking about executive appointments, etc. I'm not aware of any polls that showed the electorate was supportive of leaving the courts unstaffed, etc. Hell, even when the Democrats controlled all the chambers the Republicans still engaged in unprecedented (yes, unprecedented) levels of obstruction. This sort of behavior by the minority party has simply never happened before in America. Ever. I genuinely believe it to be the result of a radicalized party like no other in our modern history.

I would make a very strong bet that if Romney wins you will not see the same type of obstructionism from the Democrats. They simply aren't as radicalized as the Republicans are.

I dont think we are talking past each other. You are focussing on specific instances to prove your point while I am talking in generalities. It is a matter of opinion. I dont see a party that gains roughly half the vote in this country as being outside the mainstream nor radical. It is just a talking point meant to paint the other side as crazy. The mainstream will look past it or vote them out.