Mrvile

Lifer
Oct 16, 2004
Wow, those are some powerful images and moments in history. I have seen many of them before in magazines and newspapers as well as online, but that is one hell of a compilation.

Chaotic42

Lifer
Jun 15, 2001
A good reminder of just how thin the veil of "civilization" that we pride ourselves on really is.

Ronstang

Lifer
Jul 8, 2000
Originally posted by: Chaotic42
A good reminder of just how thin the veil of "civilization" that we pride ourselves on really is.

Actually it is a reminder that a large part of the world is not civilized, never has been, and likely never will be.

Excelsior

Lifer
May 30, 2002
Originally posted by: Ronstang

Actually it is a reminder that a large part of the world is not civilized, never has been, and likely never will be.

Yep.

Toonces

Golden Member
Feb 5, 2000

cultural relativism FTL :thumbsdown:

Excelsior

Lifer
May 30, 2002
Originally posted by: UNESC0

You mean universalism?

KarmaPolice

Diamond Member
Jun 24, 2004
Originally posted by: Excelsior

You mean universalism?

Eh i think he meant it was cultural relativism on the basis that he was saying that they were un civilized, when they are really only uncivilized if you use the US or other society as a relative example.

ntdz

Diamond Member
Aug 5, 2004
1989 pic, and the south korean officer pic, were the most powerful to me.

Excelsior

Lifer
May 30, 2002
Originally posted by: KarmaPolice

You mean universalism?

Eh i think he meant it was cultural relativism on the basis that he was saying that they were un civilized, when they are really only uncivilized if you use the US or other society as a relative example.

And what he meant to say was "cultural universalism FTL". What you just describe is exactly that.

KarmaPolice

Diamond Member
Jun 24, 2004
Originally posted by: KarmaPolice

You mean universalism?

And what he meant to say was "cultural universalism FTL". What you just describe is exactly that.

lol ok i think i was consfused by what he meant on FTL. I thought he was saying cultural relativism was bad...

JEDI

Lifer
Sep 25, 2001

irishScott

Lifer
Oct 10, 2006

Mrvile

Lifer
Oct 16, 2004
Originally posted by: irishScott
Originally posted by: Chronoshock
I think this is the original article your link is based on, it includes some other years and a bit more info in the captions
http://www.worldpressphoto.com/index.ph...ection&id=15&Itemid=115&bandwidth=high

A lot of good ones there too.

This one is particularly nice IMO (and not as depressing as most of the others).

http://www.worldpressphoto.com/index.ph...otogallery&task=view&id=166&Itemid=115

That is a nice photo, although it isn't very powerful as the others in the OP, it is a wonderful capture.

Gooberlx2

Lifer
May 4, 2001
I would encourage anyone interested in photography and events like this to see the film: War Photographer which details what life is like for photographer James Nachtway (he took the Rwanda and Somolia pictures you saw).

It's a very impressive film, though disturbing and depressing.