Wow, these prices are almost criminal.

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

jaggerwild

Sep 14, 2007
@OP you must have been ripped off by them to even post this, I smell hidden agenda, I'm certain a mod saw it......

New Egg gets here over night, NCIX sells stuff they don't have! Common sense tells me not to shop in a retailer for computer items, the dot coms have ruled for a long long time.

faxon

Platinum Member
May 23, 2008
Actually on a laptop I would always get at least a 2 year warranty, because you can't really fix that shit. So I would agree, you are an idiot for not getting an extended warranty, assuming that the original warranty was only one year.
i work in sales and i have to agree. most of the laptops out there MUST HAVE an extended warranty if you want any type of support for hardware failure besides memory and HDD outside of the first year. not buying one is a really stupid move if you use the laptop a ton. i see dozens of customers each day who say that their laptop broke after the first year but within 2-3, and most of them would have paid a LOT less for repairs if they had listened to the salesman and bought some form of extended coverage for their stuff. the trick is differentiating between the store offered warranties and the ones offered by the OEMs themselves, since some companies warranties are really bad, or they arent worth it, at least at first. i will admit that these extended warranties are a huge money maker, but there are companies which build their entire business model on having better support and services offered (EVGA and XFX to name 2), and they charge more for their cards to fund it. this is no different than paying extra for an extended warranty except for the fact that it's tacked onto the price of the card so you dont think about it as much.

slayernine

Jul 23, 2007
slayernine.com
For the same model of graphics card I have price matched at Future Shop. Their policy does say to include shipping in the price but they do beat the difference in price by 10%.

You need to be a bit persistent at some stores, if the sales guy won't do it go to the till at the front where they don't work on commission. (Selling a product for less = less commission)

slayernine

Jul 23, 2007
slayernine.com

Yes I realize those two previous statements are confusing but when you look at it from a different perspective it makes sense. If you have the two biggest stores in the market people are bound to get pissed off at one brand at some point. If they don't know any better they will simply switch to the other brand which happens to be the same company. That way you rarely lose any customers. Mind you this only works on the general public, I would expect most tech people to know better than to go to Best Buy or Future Shop for computer parts.

bryanW1995

Lifer
May 22, 2007
It's an awful store. You know they must have had built themselves a reputation as having vulture-like salesman when Best Buy's main advertisement selling point was having commission free staff when they came to Canada and started building stores right next door to Futureshop.

naw, best buy makes a big deal out of that in the US, too.

Modded Dilaudid

Mar 31, 2010
As they should, if the US has an equivalent mega chain housing the kind of salesman vultures found in a Futureshop.

Modded Dilaudid

Mar 31, 2010
Retail prices do not compare well with online prices when it comes to computers and parts

very known phenomenon

Maybe so. But I wonder how many other major retail chains can compare to the backwards pricing here. Is there any reason a 4850 should sell for more than a 5770? Seems pretty misleading.

Modded Dilaudid

Mar 31, 2010
Hmm. Just check Best Buy Canada for fun, and they at least aren't leading people to believe their 4850 is higher end.

Last edited: