Wow, these prices are almost criminal.

Modded Dilaudid

Mar 31, 2010
http://www.futureshop.ca/catalog/cat...=2&PageSize=15

Look at the price of 5770. $270! That's not even an overclocked model with special cooling or anything, just a regular barebones card.

And what about the 4850? It's a whole generation behind 5850 and selling for the same price... It boggles the mind.

The sad part is people without much knowledge of what videocards are actually out there these days will _happily_ pay top dollar for what futureshop would have you believe is top of the line.

Check out this review written for the 4850 on 03/13/20010

So I finally invested in a new computer. So i thought why not upgrade it. So I went to my locall future shop and puchaced the most expencive video card i could find. Have to say this card has pleased me so far. I use it to watch bluray on my 50inch plasma, and the card provides crystal clear video. Better than any bluray player i have ever tried. As for gamming hands down all you need. It has the abilty to double up with another one of these cards but you dont need it... Im just an everyday user that plays a cpl games. It holds up. Really i think this card is a little overkill to what i need..
Heh... With suckers like this they're probably in no hurry to change their prices/inventory.

Futureshop FTL.

Last edited:

Dark4ng3l

Diamond Member
Sep 17, 2000
Their employees are some of the dumbest specimens in existence too. A long time ago I remember one of them trying to sell a massively overpriced Kyro based card to some customer by showing them some benchmark numbers printed off the internet or something when that customer wanted nothing to do with that thing. That guy was persistent I bet that customer bought his card somewhere else.

JSt0rm

Lifer
Sep 5, 2000
Well we just went through a glut but remember 6800? $$$ 6600 was a deal lol

Modded Dilaudid

Mar 31, 2010
Their employees are some of the dumbest specimens in existence too. A long time ago I remember one of them trying to sell a massively overpriced Kyro based card to some customer by showing them some benchmark numbers printed off the internet or something when that customer wanted nothing to do with that thing. That guy was persistent I bet that customer bought his card somewhere else.

It's an awful store. You know they must have had built themselves a reputation as having vulture-like salesman when Best Buy's main advertisement selling point was having commission free staff when they came to Canada and started building stores right next door to Futureshop.

Claudius-07

Dec 4, 2009
About the only thing I still buy from FutureSh%T is their blank DVD (verbatim), when they have the 100 packs on sale or BluRay movies, the $5 special or $9.99 and under. I even hate going in there if I desperately need a mouse since mine just died.

NCIX has always been my choice, Amazon.ca for movies, and heck anything else I make the effort, order from the states and have it shipped to the closest UPS store in the States (less than 1 hour from me).

I remember a few months ago my girlfriend wanting to buy a laptop. She wanted it right away. We went to FS. The salesman at the end of the deal wanted to sell us the extended warranty. I said no… he called over two other sales staff and was saying, “Joe can you believe this guy… he is getting this laptop without an extended warranty!!”. Heck within 10 minutes these guys were carrying on a conversation about how much of a fool I was.
Done! Never again.

Lonyo

Lifer
Aug 10, 2002
About the only thing I still buy from FutureSh%T is their blank DVD (verbatim), when they have the 100 packs on sale or BluRay movies, the $5 special or $9.99 and under. I even hate going in there if I desperately need a mouse since mine just died.

NCIX has always been my choice, Amazon.ca for movies, and heck anything else I make the effort, order from the states and have it shipped to the closest UPS store in the States (less than 1 hour from me).

I remember a few months ago my girlfriend wanting to buy a laptop. She wanted it right away. We went to FS. The salesman at the end of the deal wanted to sell us the extended warranty. I said no… he called over two other sales staff and was saying, “Joe can you believe this guy… he is getting this laptop without an extended warranty!!”. Heck within 10 minutes these guys were carrying on a conversation about how much of a fool I was.
Done! Never again.

Actually on a laptop I would always get at least a 2 year warranty, because you can't really fix that shit. So I would agree, you are an idiot for not getting an extended warranty, assuming that the original warranty was only one year.

Rhezuss

Diamond Member
Jan 31, 2006
You're right about FS prices, unbelievable...

But the good thing is, they do price match and add 10% on the difference so you can be a winner buying there.

For instance: A ATI HD 5770 for 269CAD at FS. I can have the same at a computer store here for 189CAD.

269-189 = 80 difference. Add 10% = 88$

So Futureshop will sell you the ATI HD 5770 for 269-88 = 181CAD.

So many time I shopped around and bought at Futureshop, sometimes they get pissed LOL!

And yes, employees there are not the best around...

sandorski

No Lifer
Oct 10, 1999
I went into an EB once to checkout Video Cards. What I saw blew my mind. They had a TNT for approx $300, but this was at least 2 generations past the TNT. I just shook my head and left.

Some of these Stores seem to just put Product on the Shelf and let it stay there with the original Price until it Sells.

I don't go to FS for much more than Games or Movies. I bought a Printer and a Flash Drive from them last year, but I don't even bother to look for any serious hardware because either they don't have it or their selection is non-existent. Their focus is more on complete Consumer Goods and not Parts.

Last edited:

Dark4ng3l

Diamond Member
Sep 17, 2000
I went into an EB once to checkout Video Cards. What I saw blew my mind. They had a TNT for approx $300, but this was at least 2 generations past the TNT. I just shook my head and left.

Some of these Stores seem to just put Product on the Shelf and let it stay there with the original Price until it Sells.

I saw this at a mom and pop video store where I used to live about 5 years ago. They still had Daikatana for 50$ in their display even 3-4 years after it was released. There is no way they ever sold that.

sandorski

No Lifer
Oct 10, 1999
I saw this at a mom and pop video store where I used to live about 5 years ago. They still had Daikatana for 50$ in their display even 3-4 years after it was released. There is no way they ever sold that.

hehe, I remember EB had a huge display for Daikatana when it was Released. Easily 50 copies taking up more than 1 full rack right in the window. Gave me a chuckle.

yh125d

Diamond Member
Dec 23, 2006
I once saw a 512mb stick of DDR2-533 for $95 in BB, this was when 2x2gb DDR2-1066 kits were $55 on newegg

Also saw 256mb flash drives for $45 at radiosuck months after I bought my 8gb kingston for $40

retail flat out sucks for most stuff. Printers and the like usually aren't too bad, and BB is a good place to buy TVs if you can keep from getting talked into the $85 monster HDMI cable for your bloo rayz to look proper

solofly

Banned
May 25, 2003
hehe, I remember EB had a huge display for Daikatana when it was Released. Easily 50 copies taking up more than 1 full rack right in the window. Gave me a chuckle.

Mr. Sandorski, with a name like that you must have Polish in your blood, am I correct?

sandorski

No Lifer
Oct 10, 1999
Mr. Sandorski, with a name like that you must have Polish in your blood, am I correct?

Nope, just a name I came up with. "Sandor" is my first name, which is Hungarian. When I went to Register for Anandtech, many years ago, that name was already taken.

Mr. Pedantic

Diamond Member
Feb 14, 2010
You get people like this everywhere. I've seen people sell 4870s (advertised as a "9800GTX killer!!!!!') for double the contemporary retail price simply because there are people who would go in and spend that much money without doing any research at all.

BD231

Lifer
Feb 26, 2001
Monday, 05 April 2010 09:21
Written by Chris Tom
Fudo reports that AMD partners will be dropping prices of the Radeon HD 5870 and 5850 parts. When or how much is an unknown.
Some partners might slightly adjust their 5800 series pricing, and get the prices slightly down, but this action won’t be supported by AMD. The partners will simply cut down their own share of profit.

AMD Zone report!

postmortemIA

Diamond Member
Jul 11, 2006
Retail prices do not compare well with online prices when it comes to computers and parts

very known phenomenon

sandorski

No Lifer
Oct 10, 1999
Newegg doesn't have anything to keep me from Ordering from NCIX. Newegg just doesn't offer anything compelling enough.