Wow, SBC's Indian call center > Other Indian call centers

amnesiac

Lifer
Oct 13, 1999
Just called to resolve an issue with my DSL ( 6000kbps line speed increase didn't go into effect) and spoke to a very obviously Indian guy named "Mark" (heh) who was not only very polite and knowledgeable but intelligible as well. Big contrast to, say, Dell, where you talk to people with zero english skills reading out of a book because they've had a whole hour of training.

Abhi

Diamond Member
Sep 13, 2003
I am indian and even i cudnt understand or get my work done when i called up Dell tech support!!

Rogue

Banned
Jan 28, 2000
Well, our company is working very hard to get them "Americanized" right now. They pretty much require them to read the newspapers and stuff in order to help them "integrate" better with the customer on the phone.

damiano

Platinum Member
May 29, 2002
Originally posted by: Rogue
Well, our company is working very hard to get them "Americanized" right now. They pretty much require them to read the newspapers and stuff in order to help them "integrate" better with the customer on the phone.

what is your company?

thereds

Diamond Member
Apr 4, 2000
Originally posted by: SaltBoy
Don't encourage 'em! :confused:

Don't encourage what? Globalisation? Cheaper products for us?

What exactly are you talking about here?

BooGiMaN

Diamond Member
Jul 5, 2001
when i called SBC and got someone from the indian call center i had a hard time understanding him so i had to keep asking him to repeat what he said then, after a few minutes of that he tried to turn the tables on me and tell me something was wrong with my telephone and he couldnt understand me

i went from my cordless to my corded phone and he still said my phone was bad...even though there was no static or clipping, i could hear him clearly i just couldnt understand everything he said, i even started talking slowly and pronouncing everything as clear as i could just in case he had trouble understanding me...it was riciculous every few minutes he'd say im sorry your phone is bad i cant hear or understand you.

yet when i explained my problem for the 5th time he still insisted on having me do things which clearly werent related to my problem, i finally gave up thanked him for his help and just called the next day

geno

Lifer
Dec 26, 1999
Originally posted by: thereds

Don't encourage taking hundreds of thousands of jobs out of the US.

Gulzakar

Diamond Member
Oct 9, 1999
raise the standard of living in the rest of the world?

tech jobs have always been volatile...thats just part of the game.

pcmodem

Golden Member
Feb 6, 2001
Called Dell's support once, got a call center in Panama.

The dude was actually pretty cool, we ended up talking about women, bars, and clubs and good places to party. :D
-47th

Rogue

Banned
Jan 28, 2000
Originally posted by: damiano
Originally posted by: Rogue

what is your company?

I wish I could say, but we have non-disclosure agreements signed that prevent us from disclosing such information.;)

ElFenix

Elite Member
Super Moderator
Mar 20, 2000
a friend of mine is from bangalore and he says that the language is useless. i retorted, "it isn't useless, you can scream at dell tech support and they'll understand you!"

Zombie

Platinum Member
Dec 8, 1999
Chase India Call center was better than the stupid US call center. The lady was very nice and polite unlike the ghetto US crap.

Well atleast they are not Mainland Chinese Call Centers.....urghhhh...that wold literally take hours.

thereds

Diamond Member
Apr 4, 2000
Originally posted by: geno

Oh right. Silly me.

Can't stop globalisation..

wyvrn

Lifer
Feb 15, 2000
I went through SBC Internet's training program back when they opened their shiny new call center in Plano, Texas, before DSL became popular. The training is quite excellent, so it doesn't suprise me that their Indian reps are quality.

geno

Lifer
Dec 26, 1999
Originally posted by: geno

Oh right. Silly me.

Can't stop globalisation..

Can't stop it, but we can sure bitch about it though ;)

ScottMac

Moderator<br>Networking<br>Elite member
Mar 19, 2001
SBC doesn't have any call centers outside of the US ... not in India, not in Canada, not in Mexico ..... USA only.

One outside of Chicago (Arlington Heigts, IL), one in Northern California (Dublin, CA), and one or more in Texas.

If you talked to someone with an Indian accent, he was speaking from the USA. There are also some folks with Asian accents, European accents, Latino accents, Canadian accents, Chicago accents, Southern accents ... and they're all speaking from the USA in one of the previously mentioned centers.

Jus' so ya know.

FWIW

Scott

TommyVercetti

Diamond Member
Jan 4, 2003
This is a person's opinion about all this in P&N*

Originally posted by: piasabird
This is a matter of taking a stand for Americans. Americans should fight against this exportation of jobs to India or any other country. What if it was your job being exported to India? I, for one, will never talk to anyone on the phone if I detect that foreign accent of the Indian People. Everytime you hear some foreign sounding person talking to you on the phone just hang up and say "I do not talk to foreigners!".

*Not my opinion. For entertainment only.