WoW pricing?

imipenem

Mar 13, 2004
I've searched online but did not find a good explanation of the subscription pricing. How does the pricing work? It's $14.99 for a month - do you lose your time if you don't use the time? What if I am only online for 2 days during my paid month - do I forefit the remaining 28?

imipenem

Mar 13, 2004
Thanks for the reply, so it's like cable tv - if your paying for it and not watching it you are wasting your money...

MikeyLSU

Platinum Member
Dec 21, 2005
yup, and it is the main reason why I have never really tried it. I would only be able to put in a couple of days a week at most and that is just not going to be worth that much money.

Schadenfroh

Elite Member
Mar 8, 2003
Originally posted by: imipenem
Thanks for the reply, so it's like cable tv - if your paying for it and not watching it you are wasting your money...

Except MMOs are much cheaper and can be bought in bulk to take the price down even further.

Oct 25, 2006
One thing I like about Eve. I pay for a month, even when I'm not playing, I level up. Even when sub expires, I'm still leveling up.

Yay for Mumorpurgurs.

rh71

No Lifer
Aug 28, 2001
Use the 14-day trial and see how much you like it and how much you get hooked. I did it for 2 days and signed up right then. Addicts FTW.

Craig234

Lifer
May 1, 2006
If you play an MMO long enough, you get to the point you can not play the actual game, and anywhere you are, you can be playing in your head, releasing those endorphins you have conditioned yourself to get.

Helpful tip if you're facing jail time. All the other prisoners will wonder why you are so happy sitting in your bunk smiling for hours and hours on end. Works good for annoying family gatherings, but gets annoying when it becomes involuntary, such as on nice vacations, honeymoons, etc.

Indeed, at advanced levels, the actual game can become less pleasurable, as you don't have the LFG delays and such when playing in your head, much like remembering the good times with an ex gives you rose-colored glasses.

The small price you pay for this is real world endorphin releasers becoming much less effective. Romantic partners become annoying distractions from the game - 'Sex of Duty 4'. Pets the same, like a Sims add-on requiring maintenance. Housework 'needs' have the 'need' line redrawn to 'is law enforcement concerned?'

SilthDraeth

Platinum Member
Oct 28, 2003
Originally posted by: Craig234
If you play an MMO long enough, you get to the point you can not play the actual game, and anywhere you are, you can be playing in your head, releasing those endorphins you have conditioned yourself to get.

Helpful tip if you're facing jail time. All the other prisoners will wonder why you are so happy sitting in your bunk smiling for hours and hours on end. Works good for annoying family gatherings, but gets annoying when it becomes involuntary, such as on nice vacations, honeymoons, etc.

Indeed, at advanced levels, the actual game can become less pleasurable, as you don't have the LFG delays and such when playing in your head, much like remembering the good times with an ex gives you rose-colored glasses.

The small price you pay for this is real world endorphin releasers becoming much less effective. Romantic partners become annoying distractions from the game - 'Sex of Duty 4'. Pets the same, like a Sims add-on requiring maintenance. Housework 'needs' have the 'need' line redrawn to 'is law enforcement concerned?'

Say what?

CalvinHobbes

Diamond Member
Feb 27, 2004
Definitely do the trial if you're not sure how you'll like it. I actually did the trial a few times in 2 years before I signed up. It really helps to know someone on the server you start on. It certainly helped me a lot.

If anyone wants to try WoW, let me know and I'll send you a free trial. If you sign up I can get a free month (which would be great) :) :)

RandomFool

Diamond Member
Dec 25, 2001
www.loofmodnar.com
Originally posted by: CalvinHobbes
Definitely do the trial if you're not sure how you'll like it. I actually did the trial a few times in 2 years before I signed up. It really helps to know someone on the server you start on. It certainly helped me a lot.

If anyone wants to try WoW, let me know and I'll send you a free trial. If you sign up I can get a free month (which would be great) :) :)

I did the same thing. I did the trial twice before I decided to buy the game a few months ago. Having friends on the server is really helpful. My biggest problem is my friends started characters with me but they play so much more they're at level 50 already and I just hit 21. At least they send me neat stuff everynow and then.

Jschmuck2

Diamond Member
Jul 13, 2005
Originally posted by: Schadenfroh
Originally posted by: imipenem

Except MMOs are much cheaper and can be bought in bulk to take the price down even further.

Much like beef.

Schadenfroh

Elite Member
Mar 8, 2003
Originally posted by: SilthDraeth
Originally posted by: Craig234

Say what?

Well, it certainly gets my "wtf post of the week" award.

Wuzup101

Platinum Member
Feb 20, 2002
Originally posted by: MikeyLSU
yup, and it is the main reason why I have never really tried it. I would only be able to put in a couple of days a week at most and that is just not going to be worth that much money.

It's about the cost of going to a movie once a month (cheaper if you actually want to pay for your date!). It's about the same cost as buying a new game every 3 months... and it certainly will give you plenty of play time.

In either case, I guess $15/month is A LOT of money for some people. Even if you play very casually, it's still not all that expensive. Obviously, if you are not going to play for a month or two, you should put your account on hold. However, if you are going to play once or twice a week, it's still not bad when you consider the price of other forms of entertainment. That's about 3 blockbuster rentals a month... and less than the cost of a new BR or HD-DVD disc...