WOW, Planescape: Torment is GOOD!

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Martimus

Diamond Member
Apr 24, 2007
i know someone was trying to remake BG2 in the NWN2 engine..dont know how far along they were/are.

Stardock is making a Baldurs Gate type game, but I have mixed feelings on that. They are rather poor at the whole story and campaign part of their 4X games. They are better at the Gameplay and AI, but without a good story or a well balanced progression an RPG just falls apart.

Plus it isn't likely to be finished for another 5 years, since they just started on it.

Fenixgoon

Lifer
Jun 30, 2003
Been itching for a game with a good story (done with ME 1&2, DA:O), I will have to pick this up at GoG because so many rave reviews can't be wrong!

the story in PS:T >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> ME >>>>>> DA:O

it takes a bit more to get into, yes...and you really need to spend the first few hours (or use a walkthrough) to figure out what's going on initially, but once you get rolling...holy crap it gets intriguing fast. it's crack more pure than BG2 (and i thought that was the good stuff ;) haha)

WelshBloke

Lifer
Jan 12, 2005
the story in PS:T >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> ME >>>>>> DA:O

it takes a bit more to get into, yes...and you really need to spend the first few hours (or use a walkthrough) to figure out what's going on initially, but once you get rolling...holy crap it gets intriguing fast. it's crack more pure than BG2 (and i thought that was the good stuff ;) haha)

Its got much better pacing than BG2. I love BG2 but the story does lose its drive a lot, PS:T drags you along all the way.

Ah crap I need to dig my old disks out now. :$

JeffNY35

Dec 16, 2009
You know I've been thinking of starting a thread or even a little group to replay some old classics. Frankly I am sick of newer games. Da2 is the nail in the coffin.

Thanks Fenix. I reinstated with the mods and wow do I appreciate this game now. I finished it years ago but been so long I barely remember.

Going as a mage this time.

BTW I seem to remember wisdom actually being important more than any stat in this game so I pumped wis and Int and couple into con. Let's see how this goes.

Woot.

Fenixgoon

Lifer
Jun 30, 2003
You know I've been thinking of starting a thread or even a little group to replay some old classics. Frankly I am sick of newer games. Da2 is the nail in the coffin.

Thanks Fenix. I reinstated with the mods and wow do I appreciate this game now. I finished it years ago but been so long I barely remember.

Going as a mage this time.

BTW I seem to remember wisdom actually being important more than any stat in this game so I pumped wis and Int and couple into con. Let's see how this goes.

Woot.

yep, wisdom is basically the most important stat aside from your primary stat (str, dex, or int)

i will continue my game shortly once i finish reading AT and news :p

Dorkenstein

Diamond Member
Jul 23, 2004
The ONLY game I printed out a 500 page walkthrough for. At school, in the lab. But anyway, I uncover more dialogue every time I play it. It's like an encrypted puzzle box of enthralling dialog at times.

Fhistleb

Mar 26, 2008
If I remember right, if you pre-ordered this game it came with a novel. On a different note I'm still playing this, i'm also enjoying all the reading that goes with it. I would say this feels like Snatcher in the sense that you really play it for story.

DaveSimmons

Elite Member
Aug 12, 2001
yep, wisdom is basically the most important stat aside from your primary stat (str, dex, or int)

IIRC it's actually more important than your primary stats since it unlocks dialog options and sidequests.

Also, you can only be one class at a time but it can still be worth talking to your companions to change classes now and then, though I've forgotten most of the details. I think if you stay a fighter long enough you can maximize your dagger skill before switching to mage, and there being some advantage to being a thief for awhile (unlocking companion sidequests?).

Fenixgoon

Lifer
Jun 30, 2003
IIRC it's actually more important than your primary stats since it unlocks dialog options and sidequests.

Also, you can only be one class at a time but it can still be worth talking to your companions to change classes now and then, though I've forgotten most of the details. I think if you stay a fighter long enough you can maximize your dagger skill before switching to mage, and there being some advantage to being a thief for awhile (unlocking companion sidequests?).

im just going fighter all the way through...lots of hp, good damage. though i just went to undersigil and got rocked by a bunch of worms. guess i'll wait on that one :hmm:

prism

Oct 23, 2004
What's with all the hate on BG1's story?! I absolutely loved it, and it's EASILY in my top 5 favorite games of all time. I love the fact that the story focused on one small part of a huge world, yet there was still a grand sense of adventure and mystery throughout it all.

Plus, Darth Vader aside, who is more of a badass villain than Sarevok?!

repoman0

Diamond Member
Jun 17, 2010
I started the game based on reading this thread, but am having a bit of a hard time getting into it. The art direction is excellent and the dialog is all very well written, but I can't stand the point and click gameplay! I keep trying to move with WASD, and hate just clicking to go somewhere.. detaches me from the game for whatever reason. guess I'm just too used to actually moving a character in a game.

Also I can't stand that he talks so much when i click where to go or click on an object to open.

zebano

Diamond Member
Jun 15, 2005

IIRC Charisma and to a much lesser extent Int are also more important than the physical stats as they open up dialog options & memories and one of them (wis) gives an experience gain bonus. Basically the only physical stat I cared for was Con to up the nameless ones' regen rate.

JeffNY35

Dec 16, 2009
I started the game based on reading this thread, but am having a bit of a hard time getting into it. The art direction is excellent and the dialog is all very well written, but I can't stand the point and click gameplay! I keep trying to move with WASD, and hate just clicking to go somewhere.. detaches me from the game for whatever reason. guess I'm just too used to actually moving a character in a game.

Also I can't stand that he talks so much when i click where to go or click on an object to open.

The interface , movement and combat are wonky. That's for sure. But if you can get past that, its worth it.

sigurros81

Platinum Member
Nov 30, 2010

Welcome to oldschool CRPG.

sactoking

Diamond Member
Sep 24, 2007
If you're playing through a second time the single most important stat is Con. Get that to 25 and it's almost impossible to die. I solo'd pretty much the entire game b/c I could regen faster than I was damaged.

StinkyPinky

Diamond Member
Jul 6, 2002
IMO

Order of importance

Wis
Int
Con
Cha
Str
Dex

The game is an intellectual game so the physical stats aren't so important.

Beev

Diamond Member
Apr 20, 2006
I took the plunge and bought it on gog.com. Never played it, but always heard it was good and was interested. Let's see how it is...

Modular

Diamond Member
Jul 1, 2005
I played the game through without knowing about any mods, then I tried the widescreen mod and, all of a sudden, the atmosphere of waking up on that mortuary slab was gone. That opening scene has had a profound impact on my perception of the world and expanded the horizons of my imagination by tenfold. I am very lucky I didn't miss out on its beauty due to some silly lo-fi phobia.

I'm confused...are you saying that mods actually take away from the gameplay for you?

I've never played this but am going to add it to my list of games to get to in the next year...damn long list at this point.

Stumben2

Jan 13, 2006
I'm confused...are you saying that mods actually take away from the gameplay for you?

I've never played this but am going to add it to my list of games to get to in the next year...damn long list at this point.

Get the mods in my opinion.

Fenixgoon

Lifer
Jun 30, 2003
beat the game. pretty cool ending :) really awesome story overall.

some of the end stuff was HARD and i had to take :hmm: alternate routes to proceed.

i probably never would have beat this game without a walkthrough. just don't have the patience anymore. there are so many little things that i would have otherwise gotten pissed at and given up.

trexpesto

Golden Member
Jun 3, 2004
I got in a duo-pack with another game Soulbringer, which I haven't touched yet. Anyone tried that? Just upgraded to Win7, hope it works.

The walkthrough does prevent some of the irritation with point and click.