WoW Performance Issue

Xavier434

Lifer
Oct 14, 2002
On one of my machines, playing WoW after a couple hours will often result in a lot of graphics instantly disappearing (Especially the floor) and the FPS will then drop to 1 or 2. The only way I have found to fix this issue temporarily is to restart the computer. Relogging or restarting WoW does not fix it. However, this does not happen at all with other games and it only started right after that patch which included the "performance changes" for certain kinds of CPUs was released over a month ago. This leads me to believe that it is not hardware failure. I am running XP, an older Nvidia card, and the CPU is a single core AMD 64 processor.

Has anyone heard of this kind of issue with WoW or have suggestions on how to troubleshoot the issue? If you need more info then ask away. I will provide everything I can.

yuppiejr

Golden Member
Jul 31, 2002
You should probably post your specific graphic card specs (chipset, model, memory, etc..) as well as what version of the driver you are using. It's also worth knowing what motherboard chipset you are using and how much system RAM is installed. You could be dealing with a bad AGP/PCIe bridge driver or something as simple as needing to add RAM to the system.

Have you tried disabling most or all of your add-ins? I found certain WoW add-ins have a nasty habit of running away with system resources en-masse if an error condition occurs. Since the last patch released on Tuesday included some UI changes that probably have implications of this sort I would make sure you update all of your add-ins soon.

Xavier434

Lifer
Oct 14, 2002
Video Card: PNY VCG62256APB GeForce 6200 256MB 64-bit GDDR2 AGP 4X/8X Video Card

RAM: 1 gig

Motherboard: A somewhat older ASUS board. I can't remember exactly which one it is right now but I am pretty sure it has an Nforce 390 chipset or whatever the number was that begins with a 3. Sorry, I can look when I get home.

Addons: I haven't tried running it while all were disabled, but they are all updated and I am using all of the same addons on another machine which works fine with exception of ZHunter which is being used on the machine with problems.

Drivers: All of the latest ones available.

Anubis

No Lifer
Aug 31, 2001
tbqhwy.com
if i had to guess your video card is on its way out, happened to me on my 6800GT then one day it just totally craped out

Xavier434

Lifer
Oct 14, 2002
Originally posted by: Anubis
if i had to guess your video card is on its way out, happened to me on my 6800GT then one day it just totally craped out

The question with that theory is why is it not happening in other games? It is also a coincidence that it started right after a particular WoW patch.