Wow...new cigarette tax in NYC

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

BladeVenom

Lifer
Jun 2, 2005
Originally posted by: Ronstang
I never really understand Democrats' love of taxation. It is human nature to reduce your tax load as much as possible. The idiots eventually raise taxes to the point that they piss everyone off, the overall tax revenue goes down, and they get voted out of office. I wonder why people have such short memories. Democrats always raise taxes, which is one reason very few Democrat presidents ever have more than one term. Clinton only did because the Republicans held congress....if it had still been in Democratic hands he would have been a one termer too.

It's all about power.

mugs

Lifer
Apr 29, 2003
I never really understand Democrats' love of taxation. It is human nature to reduce your tax load as much as possible. The idiots eventually raise taxes to the point that they piss everyone off, the overall tax revenue goes down, and they get voted out of office. I wonder why people have such short memories. Democrats always raise taxes, which is one reason very few Democrat presidents ever have more than one term. Clinton only did because the Republicans held congress....if it had still been in Democratic hands he would have been a one termer too.

What good does it do us if the Republicans lower taxes but spend money like they're Democrats? People always focus on the taxes, but it's the spending that matters most. We're going to pay for it eventually.

Vic

Elite Member
Jun 12, 2001
Originally posted by: mugs

What good does it do us if the Republicans lower taxes but spend money like they're Democrats? People always focus on the taxes, but it's the spending that matters most. We're going to pay for it eventually.

Seriously. In fact, you're paying for it right now by way of increased inflation. Not that taxation isn't a 2-way street, and I'm not talking about welfare. Voodoo economics is just a form of corruption packaged like a free lunch. And I missed the part where the anti-smoking crusade was purely partisan. Or have the Pubs suddenly softened on the War on Drugs?

Evadman

Administrator Emeritus<br>Elite Member
Feb 18, 2001
Originally posted by: DainBramaged
I bet people would change their minds about this tax if it were applied to *their* preferred addiction, be it chocolate, beer, fast food, or video games.

I stopped smoking and took up chocolate instead.

So

Lifer
Jul 2, 2001
Originally posted by: BlahBlahYouToo
Originally posted by: So
Originally posted by: Juno
good, they better quit smoking.

Yeah! What right to they have to do what they wish to their body?

ever heard of second hand smoke?
ever heard of soaring health care costs?

these are the things that non-smokers are unfairly being punished for.

That is just an argument against socialized health care (and the semi-socialized system we have now), not against smoking.

Argue for a system that doesn't make one person pay for another's bad choice, otherwise, you're going to have to ban sugary foods (so potential diabetics don't get them), greasy foods (so fatties don't get them) and red meat (so people with cholesterol don't get a hold of them).

miri

Diamond Member
Jun 16, 2003

hmm, wonder why a pack of cigs in California, considered the most democratic state in the union by many are still less then $4 a pack with sales tax.

BladeVenom

Lifer
Jun 2, 2005
Originally posted by: TonyB
solution is to stop smoking cigarettes...... and smoke weed instead.

The way the keep increasing taxes soon people will be cutting their tobacco with weed to make it go farther.

QueBert

Lifer
Jan 6, 2002
Originally posted by: miri

hmm, wonder why a pack of cigs in California, considered the most democratic state in the union by many are still less then $4 a pack with sales tax.

they went up in 07 and will go up again this year, California isn't far off from $6-$7 a pack, a lot of brands are already above $5.

jpeyton

Moderator in SFF, Notebooks, Pre-Built/Barebones
Aug 23, 2003
I never really understand Democrats' love of taxation.
I much prefer the GOP plan of charging trillions to the national credit card so our children can make the interest payments.

miri

Diamond Member
Jun 16, 2003
Originally posted by: QueBert
Originally posted by: miri

they went up in 07 and will go up again this year, California isn't far off from $6-$7 a pack, a lot of brands are already above $5.

Hmm, Marlboros/Camels are still less then $4 with sales tax in Orange County. Is that the Republican/Orange curtain at work?

undeclared

Oct 24, 2005
Sorry I don't feel sorry..

1) Salary scales in NYC (eg, you live like 30k here on 50k in NYC) -- eg everyone has more money than people here by definition.. though they have to spend more in general.
2) It was 9 dollars "OMFG" in 1998 here.

Anubis

No Lifer
Aug 31, 2001
tbqhwy.com
Originally posted by: xtwells
Sorry I don't feel sorry..

1) Salary scales in NYC (eg, you live like 30k here on 50k in NYC) -- eg everyone has more money than people here by definition.. though they have to spend more in general.
2) It was 9 dollars "OMFG" in 1998 here.

this tax raise was state wide not just in NYC