WoW Level-up has very few rewards?

Axonn

Oct 14, 2008
I leveled up 2 times. So what? No stat points, no skill points, no nothing. Other than allowing the use of certain Spells and Items, what's Level Upping useful to? What makes me happy that I leveled up?

Another question: how can you increase the skill level of a spel?

Last edited:

Snock514

Golden Member
Jul 20, 2009
You get NEW skills from your particular class trainer located in a town, the towns are different for each race (and faction.) You also upgrade the level of current skills by buying the higher level from your trainer as well. You don't get any "skill points" until level 10, which are called talent points. There are three TALENT TREES for each class. Depending on where you put your first point you get another active skill at level 10. Talent points are mostly for passive skills, but there are some actives in each tree. You get 1 talent point per level past level 10.

I believe from levels 1-60 you can train new skills every 2 levels though I'm not sure if that is still the case because of new patches and such.

There are no stat points in the World of Warcraft, such at Strength or intelligence, that you assign. It automatically puts the points in for you when you level up. The amounts are different for each class.

Last edited:

Axonn

Oct 14, 2008
Now that you told me about Talent Points, I went and

http://www.wowwiki.com/Talent

I found some "bad" news I think:

With the upcoming expansion Mists of Pandaria Mists of Pandaria, there will be only one tree for each class, and points will be done away with. However, there will still be three different specializations (with the exception of druids, who will then have four).

So they're going to dumb down the game as far as my initial reading proves.

Craig234

Lifer
May 1, 2006

With the upcoming expansion Mists of Pandaria Mists of Pandaria, there will be only one tree for each class, and points will be done away with. However, there will still be three different specializations (with the exception of druids, who will then have four).

Mixed feeling about that - it was way to easy to not have a 'perfect build' that caused problems the way it was.

When you need sites like 'elitistjerks.com' to find out how to put points in a build, that's not that great.

zokudu

Diamond Member
Nov 11, 2009

Its not really dumbing the game down. They are giving you 6 compelling choices vs 41 obvious ones. If you have 2 talents and one increases dps by 5% and one by 10% which do you pick? That is essentially what we have now.

Now choosing between a snare a root and a stun is a much better choice and will depend on fights and your raid composition. Even better for some DPS classes like take Hunter tier 5. Do you want a passive focus regen, a focus regen cooldown or a cooldown reset? Depends on the fight or your personal playstyle.

There are more choices that will not make or break your play but will matter.

shortylickens

No Lifer
Jul 15, 2003
I prefer D&D. Normal game only goes up to level 20 but each one is generally pretty significant, especially for spell casters.

Snock514

Golden Member
Jul 20, 2009
I haven't been following the next expansion, might look into it later though. If you have any questions about current mechanics feel free to PM me :p

Aikouka

Lifer
Nov 27, 2001
I actually like the change in the way they're doing talents... mostly because it means my non-Subtlety Rogue can get Shadowstep! Switching targets during a fight always has one nasty part for melee... getting to and fro!

Newbian

Lifer
Aug 24, 2008
If you want a game with stat points go play diablo 2 and accidentally place the stats wrong and thus you are forced to delete your character and start over so not to be gimped. :p

upsdriver

Nov 8, 2011
I leveled up 2 times. So what? No stat points, no skill points, no nothing. Other than allowing the use of certain Spells and Items, what's Level Upping useful to? What makes me happy that I leveled up?

Would be helpful to state what class you are.

Each level gives you additional stat points automatically. It also lets you wear better gear, access more dungeons/zones/bgs, and attack higher level enemies with reduced hit penalties. Considering how much a joke leveling is now, you've got nothing to complain about. There are a total of 85 levels, you can't expect dramatic changes to your character every level (or basically every half hour of playing time pre-70).

RPD

Diamond Member
Jul 22, 2009
If you want a game with stat points go play diablo 2 and accidentally place the stats wrong and thus you are forced to delete your character and start over so not to be gimped. :p
No longer applies to Diablo II since the latest patch or so. You can respec both talent and stat points.

upsdriver

Nov 8, 2011
You're initial reading is wrong. With the way talent points are set up now, there's basically one correct spec. There's the illusion of choice because you can put your points wherever you want, but only one (maybe two) optimal specs. With the expac, you have to choose between things like mobility or stun. The optimal choice becomes less clear and will have a greater impact on your play.

makken

Golden Member
Aug 28, 2004
When you hit level 10, you get to choose a specialization (spec) for your class. Choosing a spec will give you a new ability, some passive bonuses, and will open up that spec's talent tree for you to put points into. Every 2 levels past that you get 1 additional talent point to use. (see http://www.wowhead.com/talent )

You also gain new abilities, which you'll have to learn from your class trainer, so remember to visit them.

Finally, your spells and abilities scale with your level, so each time you level up, your spells become (slightly) more powerful.

Disclaimer: I haven't played since 4.0 so my info might be out of date.

PrayForDeath

Diamond Member
Apr 12, 2004
You also upgrade the level of current skills by buying the higher level from your trainer as well.

I no longer play WoW, but I believe this was changed in Cataclysm. You no longer have to revisit your trainer to get new levels of your spells. They become more powerful automatically when you level.

note: you still need to visit a trainer to learn new spells.

IonusX

Dec 25, 2011

this is the great secret of WoW. going up in level means zippo beyond the fact that you suck a little less and your 1 level clsoer to actually being able to play with all your high level geared out friends.
its really quite funny, your like a deer in the ehadlights in my mind right now, realising youve been smacking ur head in a wall for two levels and gotten basically nowhere (3/85 wohoo)

Axonn

Oct 14, 2008
IonusX: encouraging. *grin*

PrayForDeath: yes, I can confirm that, if my 2 hours-so-far WoW experience is anything to go by, LOL.

Newbian: I played Diablo 2 so much before the respec that I already know my favourite skills by heart. I would have hoped that WoW offers a similar skill system. No such luck. But it's still nice I guess. Too early to tell.

shortylickens: D&D is immensely different. Has no place in this discussion ::- ). I love D&D too, but that's "true" RPG whereas D2/WoW are "action" RPGs. Also, in NWN you can level to 40.

craig234: I se

zokudu: as always a clear and informative answer.

Thank you everybody for your input. I understood, I think, what's what. Will continue to play with my 3rd level Troll Mage ::- D.

ElFenix

Elite Member
Super Moderator
Mar 20, 2000
Mixed feeling about that - it was way to easy to not have a 'perfect build' that caused problems the way it was.

When you need sites like 'elitistjerks.com' to find out how to put points in a build, that's not that great.

way back in daoc i completely gimped my first character by picking a specialty line that the class was completely terrible at. of course, there was no documentation that would tell you that. why were thrust type swords even an option for a class that gains no agility (the base stat for thrust damage)?

frankly i hate discrete levels anyway. relic of pen and paper when calculating gains took time. UO had a great model but it hasn't been repeated because the level-raid grind of EQ had more commercial success.

Nebor

Lifer
Jun 24, 2003
frankly i hate discrete levels anyway. relic of pen and paper when calculating gains took time. UO had a great model but it hasn't been repeated because the level-raid grind of EQ had more commercial success.

UO's model was great. You could be whatever you wanted to be, without regard for class and level.

Axonn

Oct 14, 2008
What's UO? What's DAOC in WOW? (looked for it in the terms on WoWWiki but didn't find it).

Newbian

Lifer
Aug 24, 2008
What's UO? What's DAOC in WOW? (looked for it in the terms on WoWWiki but didn't find it).

They are older mmorpg games long before WoW was around.

UO = ultimate online

Daoc = Dark Age of Camelot

Jadow

Diamond Member
Feb 12, 2003

not any more, now they make it fairly easy to do stat / skill resets.

ElFenix

Elite Member
Super Moderator
Mar 20, 2000
UO's model was great. You could be whatever you wanted to be, without regard for class and level.

my roommate had a cook named emeril. just f'ed around in town, got to GM cook, and made things.

classes suck too.

and skill progression was great. pay some trainer and instantly learn something? this isn't the matrix. in UO you learned parrying by... parrying.

and getting on a boat and just sailing around was awesome.

J-Money

Feb 9, 2003
my roommate had a cook named emeril. just f'ed around in town, got to GM cook, and made things.

classes suck too.

and skill progression was great. pay some trainer and instantly learn something? this isn't the matrix. in UO you learned parrying by... parrying.

and getting on a boat and just sailing around was awesome.

Leveling up to gain skills and learning "parrying by... parrying." are both grinds though and really not much different.

Kill 1000 mobs to gain a level and increase skills by 5 automatically
or
Kill 1000 mobs to raise parrying (and other) skill by 5

Same motions.

clok1966

Golden Member
Jul 6, 2004
they only change the TALENT trees to restart the "hype" machine again.. it much simpler to reset to zero and scramble um up a small bit then really make some actual changes (not to mention doing anything but that would probebly break the game pretty badly or require hours of retuning for the winers who insist every class should be better then whatever one they are not playing).