WoW - Is anyone happy with the class they play?

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Noema

Platinum Member
Feb 15, 2005
Originally posted by: Eeezee
I liked playing a paladin. It was easy as hell to level. NOTHING can kill you (well, so long as you don't fight red mobs - but pink is fine, and yellow elites).

I remember leveling my Pally in a PvP server back in late 2006. I was really, really good at not dying.

It's fun because people try to gank you and they simply can't. You are like an armored car. You can almost feel their frustration after you simply prove to be unkillable in most 1v1 situations :)

Sylvanas

Diamond Member
Jan 20, 2004
People get killed by another class, they then go onto forums and complain that the class that killed them is overpowered and that they're gimped- fact is most of the people/kiddies who do this suck so best is to steer away from class forums and just focus what your doing.

skace

Lifer
Jan 23, 2001
I played a druid when they were "the worst class in the game" and people would all turn around and go "wtf druids are good?!" every time they grouped with me. People are stupid, they get an idea stuck in their heads and never give it a second thought.

With an MMO, class balance is not determined by all class boards being quiet, but by all class boards having equal amounts of bitching. Especially one as popular as WoW with a decent PvP environment.

Xavier434

Lifer
Oct 14, 2002
I have been a resto druid since I started playing WoW over 2 years ago and I have never been unhappy with the class. Of course, I do not play WoW to PvP either which is where hear most of the bitching come from in regards to all classes. In the end, I look at my class and every other class as having a set of strengths and weaknesses which can only be overcome by grouping together and acting as one unit, but that is also why I love the game. I don't want to be a god. I just want to be a really good druid. :)

Anubis

No Lifer
Aug 31, 2001
tbqhwy.com
Originally posted by: Xavier434
I have been a resto druid since I started playing WoW over 2 years ago and I have never been unhappy with the class. Of course, I do not play WoW to PvP either which is where hear most of the bitching come from in regards to all classes. In the end, I look at my class and every other class as having a set of strengths and weaknesses which can only be overcome by grouping together and acting as one unit, but that is also why I love the game. I don't want to be a god. I just want to be a really good druid. :)

the only bitching twards druids in PVP is how insanly overpowered they are in 2v2 and 3v3 arena

FWIW i love my warlock, a few things about the class need work but otherwise pretty good

DarkRipper

Golden Member
Jun 29, 2000
I love my rogue.

I also love my fury warrior (go figure, right).

I love to play hunters (pvp only, raiding leaves something to be desired :( )

Armories:

Dheriana
Dherisis

rh71

No Lifer
Aug 28, 2001
Originally posted by: Noema
I liked playing a paladin. It was easy as hell to level. NOTHING can kill you (well, so long as you don't fight red mobs - but pink is fine, and yellow elites).

I remember leveling my Pally in a PvP server back in late 2006. I was really, really good at not dying.

It's fun because people try to gank you and they simply can't. You are like an armored car. You can almost feel their frustration after you simply prove to be unkillable in most 1v1 situations :)
Warlock fears you into other mobs FTL! :D

Love my rogue but my Warlock has so many more toys. I'm aiming for 400resil right now... and already have arena spec... it takes at least 2 to kill me right now and it will be much harder soon.... muhahahaha.

Aikouka

Lifer
Nov 27, 2001
I pretty much play every class and I'm fairly content with all of them. They all have their strengths and weaknesses. It is annoying sometimes to go up against a class that's built in a way that just shuts you down, but that's the game. I think my Paladin (Tankadin) is kind of boring though. I play him with my lock (leveling together) and the lock is just well... a lock :p.

The class forums can be kind of fun at times, but they are definitely a bastion of whiners that want an invincible class.

Although I did have a hunter that said he "never loses a duel against a rogue" tell me that HARP (and I assume mace spec added on) was overpowered. The guy wasn't even a BM hunter. Trying to talk to me about being too powerful, sheesh :p.

Everyone knows that warlocks are overpowered (except the warlocks), so everyone has at least that excuse.

Oh this one 'lock I was with in Heroic Ramparts knew they were quite overpowered. I was in a poor group that couldn't beat Omor and barely beat Vazruden and Nazan (most characters were undergeared... I think all except my priest ~_~), so I brought in new people saying "pretty much a free nether!" :p. I ended up getting a lock from Premonition (12th best guild in the US - http://www.wowjutsu.com/us/alleria/Premonition ) and he's saying we should just 4-man the boss (so he gets a better chance at the Nether :p) and it won't be a problem because warlocks are OP. Yeah, he ended up doing 3x the damage of the mage. I have a feelin' he wasn't trying all that hard either.

Originally posted by: Schadenfroh
I played them during the Seal of the Crusader bug, those were the days...

The reckoning bug was more fun. One-shotting Demon Lord Kazzak ftw!

Originally posted by: Wuzup101
Eh, all classes have their downsides and their perks. I had some ridiculous amount of time /played on my rogue before I stopped playing and sold him around the beginning of my fall semester (like 150 days). I never was really into alts, because leveling was a chore, but I did have a priest in the 30s and my original hunter at 60.

I had 120 days on my rogue when the game was only out for a year :p. Thinking about the time I'm spending leveling alts now... that 120 days could've been spent more wisely....

The rogue was tons of fun to play solo (which is great), but had more problems fitting into groups. I had a great guild, raided 4+ nights a week, did all the T5 content, had great gear and was generally a great addition as far as damage was concerned. However, utility was lacking, and DPS would take a nice drop if you didn't have a synergistic group to give you buffs.

That's the unfortunate complaint about rogues is that they are definitely top DPS but you gotta give some love to your rogues... give 'em a warrior... a shaman. Rogues are meant to be DPS and CC (not really used in the raid encounters...) but other classes can certainly catch up. There's also the idea of melee susceptibility (that we've discussed on here to no avail) where certain encounters aren't impossible for melee but aren't (what we shall dub) "melee friendly." A good example is Maiden in Karazhan (although not exactly the paragon of WoW raiding).

My guild ended up merging, and started taking way more casters than melee DPS (very heavy on locks and shadow priests). As a class leader, it was painful to always have to tell other rogues that there was no room in the raid, that we didn't need them, etc...

That sucks :(.

A caster can destroy a Paladin in most cases.

Originally posted by: Sylvanas
People get killed by another class, they then go onto forums and complain that the class that killed them is overpowered and that they're gimped- fact is most of the people/kiddies who do this suck so best is to steer away from class forums and just focus what your doing.

What people need to realize is that their class will not always be #1 against every class with any build possible. Like with my two rogues... one of them is mutilate and the other is combat swords. The mutilate rogue has a very hard time with hunters (a good hunter won't let me get behind them) where my combat rogue eats them up (don't have to get behind them :p)... then literally eats them up (num num num cannibalize ftw).

Anubis

No Lifer
Aug 31, 2001
tbqhwy.com
Originally posted by: rh71

Warlock fears you into other mobs FTL! :D

Love my rogue but my Warlock has so many more toys. I'm aiming for 400resil right now... and already have arena spec... it takes at least 2 to kill me right now and it will be much harder soon.... muhahahaha.

you think that but no :(

im guessing you are going sl/sl something like 24/37, even with 450 resil and 13.5K HP a rogue can stun/blind lock me from 100-0, hunters if they start their shot rotation will kill you in under 10 seconds, and ive been almost insta gibbed by warriors with lucky chain crits

sorry but anyone who claims warlocks are OP has never played one, warlocks are the anti caster so yes mages, priest, palys and other locks are easier for us to kill, however mele is our worst enemy, we get eaten alive by them, killing a rogue 1v1 is nearly impossiable, warriors are a pain and hunters with their big red pet cause us serious issues

yes i realize its not balances around 1v1 but thats where most of the locks are OP arguements come from anyway,

actually they come from most people that are in quest blues/greens and dont have a PVP trinket so they can just be feared forever

ggnl

Diamond Member
Jul 2, 2004
Originally posted by: Anubis

the only bitching twards druids in PVP is how insanly overpowered they are in 2v2 and 3v3 arena

Too true. I finally gave in to the dark side and retired my resto shaman from arena PVP to level a druid (now lvl 61). It's so predictable it's sad, cyclone>cyclone>cyclone>feral charge>bash while my teammate curses and gets kited in circles.

Xavier434

Lifer
Oct 14, 2002

FWIW i love my warlock, a few things about the class need work but otherwise pretty good

*shrug*

Ya, I have heard those same complaints. To be honest, I just stopped listening to people gripe about PvP. Some people are happy with it and others are not. Many keep changing their minds too. In the end, I will say what I always say about it which is that WoW is a PvE game with PvP slapped on top. This is why we constantly see a cycle in the PvP system where nearly all classes and builds go through times where they are balanced in the system and other times where they are overpowered and other times where they are too weak. To my knowledge, there has never been a single class which has remained balanced in the system after they have been fixed. Something new always happens which causes them to become unbalanced. It is such a fragile system and I do not believe it is possible to permanently give balance for that reason unless Blizz completely rewrites both the PvE and PvP core aspects of the game in such a way that they are more compatible with each other, but they cannot do that and I accept it.

What I never understand is why there are people who have spent years playing this game and have spent the majority of that time complaining about the PvP system. They have a right to do whatever they wish of course, but to me it doesn't make sense to play a game for years if you are not happy with it. If I cared about MMO PvP then I would just play an MMO game that is the opposite of WoW in the sense that it is a PvP game with PvE slapped on top. Considering no MMO has truly balanced them both out yet, that is the current best option.

Perhaps Blizz's new secret MMO that is in the works will finally break that barrier. It wouldn't shock me at all to find out that Blizz is well aware that they cannot permanently fix this issue with WoW in the way that they want to without a rewrite of the core mechanics. I am sure they are excited to have another go at it with their new game. It's exciting to me. Hopefully it will turn out well.

livingsacrifice

Jul 16, 2001
I have been happy with most if not all of the classes I choose. I have a pally, warrior, rouge and druid that I play with and the only one that got kind of boring was the druid and that didn't happen till around mid 60s. Guess I was just tired of respecing him the entire time so I just have left him alone and play my other three instead. Yes the forums are pretty much worthless I find much better guides other places online the only time I really needed to use it was when I respeced my pally to protection the talent tree guides were pretty good for that.

ggnl

Diamond Member
Jul 2, 2004

im guessing you are going sl/sl something like 24/37, even with 450 resil and 13.5K HP a rogue can stun/blind lock me from 100-0, hunters if they start their shot rotation will kill you in under 10 seconds, and ive been almost insta gibbed by warriors with lucky chain crits

This is why you run with a healer. I agree that locks aren't nearly as OP as many people claim them to be (warriors have them beat them by a mile IMO), but fear is still the best CC in the game for 2v2 and 3v3. The only thing is, if the lock's team can't control the fight (aka, you're facing a warrior or BM hunter) warlock DPS is just so easy to heal through and they aren't durable enough to survive focus fire.

Aikouka

Lifer
Nov 27, 2001
In the end, I will say what I always say about it which is that WoW is a PvE game with PvP slapped on top.

I think it tends to look this way because of the massive love that PVE gets when it comes to development time. PVE requires more work in its current state for all the scripted events rather than just simple boss fights like they used to be. I think Lake Wintergrasp will finally change that fact since it will kind of be like a non-instance AV that's a bit more interactive (and probably less NPCs).

The biggest balance issues come from the fact that changes made for PVE do not translate as well to PVP. For example, giving all mages Ice Block was a relatively big change. I find it incredibly helpful in PVE on my mage when you find yourself taking a ton of damage from being the AoE'r and heals aren't coming in fast enough. But in PVE having the damage of a fire mage combined with some of the survivability of a frost mage. Man... it makes a big difference.

Xavier434

Lifer
Oct 14, 2002
Originally posted by: Aikouka
In the end, I will say what I always say about it which is that WoW is a PvE game with PvP slapped on top.

I think it tends to look this way because of the massive love that PVE gets when it comes to development time. PVE requires more work in its current state for all the scripted events rather than just simple boss fights like they used to be. I think Lake Wintergrasp will finally change that fact since it will kind of be like a non-instance AV that's a bit more interactive (and probably less NPCs).

The biggest balance issues come from the fact that changes made for PVE do not translate as well to PVP. For example, giving all mages Ice Block was a relatively big change. I find it incredibly helpful in PVE on my mage when you find yourself taking a ton of damage from being the AoE'r and heals aren't coming in fast enough. But in PVE having the damage of a fire mage combined with some of the survivability of a frost mage. Man... it makes a big difference.

Yes, this is a big part of it and I had these points in mind when I made the statement you quoted. I always suspected that those with the most power on the WoW dev team at Blizz kind of sided with PvE more even though it would never be admitted and they do try to give it balance. My experience at Blizzcon further reinforced that theory but it's still not a fact.

Changes made for PvE sometimes do not translate well to PvP like you said. The opposite can be said as well but the impact usually doesn't break anything on the PvE side. Instead, it just nerfs it a little but life goes on. I believe that many of the ideas for new features or changes to classes are often made with PvE in mind first and then they adjust it to hopefully make it fit within the PvP system. Sometimes they win and sometimes they lose when they do that. This is precisely why I explained the cycle for PvP in WoW and how fragile it is. The core mechanics in the game just do not allow the devs to make big changes or add new features to classes without there being a noticeable margin of error when it comes to PvE/PvP balance. This is mostly due to how fragile PvP is and particularly the Arena system. While I think the arena is a lot of fun and really cool, that system plus the mechanics of the game has forced PvP to become as fragile as a paper thin sheet of glass. Every little detail counts in the Arena if two teams of equal skill and gear face each other. If both teams make no mistakes then the winner is often determined by class imbalances which should not be the case.

crystal

Platinum Member
Nov 5, 1999
From my limited experience pvp in bg as a hunter, rogues stun lock me most of the time. Warriors charge and kill me faster than a "DPS" classes. Feral druids are hard to kill. Holy spec paladins are damn annoying - specially when they bubble up & their flash heal.

Aikouka

Lifer
Nov 27, 2001
Yes, this is a big part of it and I had these points in mind when I made the statement you quoted. I always suspected that those with the most power on the WoW dev team at Blizz kind of sided with PvE more even though it would never be admitted and they do try to give it balance. My experience at Blizzcon further reinforced that theory but it's still not a fact.

I don't know... see I hate to say that they side with PVE but that PVE is a huge portion of WoW. Imagine if PVE in WoW were as repetitious as PVP? Because of that, PVE needs to have more quests/content because of how static it is. Since PVP is not that static (as you tend to face different opponents (hopefully in Arena... I've faced the same 3 times in a row =\)), it can receive less attention as the dynamic comes from the players. You may also see that they're more emphatic over PVE because frankly the lore in PVP is pretty much non-existent, but PVE is full of lore and if Blizzard enjoys the lore at least a little bit as much as I do, I could see why they might seem more emphatic over it.

Changes made for PvE sometimes do not translate well to PvP like you said. The opposite can be said as well but the impact usually doesn't break anything on the PvE side. Instead, it just nerfs it a little but life goes on.

Yeah, I think that's because the nature of PVP changes tends to be nerfs to tricks or builds that aren't used in PVE. Such as the HARP nerf... HARP isn't used in PVE (as combat is), so it had pretty much no effect on PVE. Although one could say that the Ice Block change may've had another reason behind it. It's possible that Blizzard wanted to get away from one trick ponies in arenas and used the Ice Block addition to push fire builds. I remember fighting a fire mage in arena and the only reason he survived my assault was because of ice block... in fact one more hit would've killed him. Then the druid just healed him to full once he ice blocked :(.

A little amusing note about HARP as this makes me smile when I think of it. I used to play on the same server as Ming (the loud, overbearing rogue) and I remarked to him once about how going to 70 points will allow us to do AR+Prep (didn't really have the idea of hemo in there), which I found quite nice. He told me it was a waste and not worth it. :p

The core mechanics in the game just do not allow the devs to make big changes or add new features to classes without there being a noticeable margin of error when it comes to PvE/PvP balance. This is mostly due to how fragile PvP is and particularly the Arena system. While I think the arena is a lot of fun and really cool, that system plus the mechanics of the game has forced PvP to become as fragile as a paper thin sheet of glass. Every little detail counts in the Arena if two teams of equal skill and gear face each other. If both teams make no mistakes then the winner is often determined by class imbalances which should not be the case.

This kind of makes me wonder... is it really possible to have well-designed PVE and well-designed PVP in the same game? Or are you stuck with having PVP only games like Fury to quell that desire for some PVP.

Originally posted by: crystal
From my limited experience pvp in bg as a hunter, rogues stun lock me most of the time. Warriors charge and kill me faster than a "DPS" classes. Feral druids are hard to kill. Holy spec paladins are damn annoying - specially when they bubble up & their flash heal.

You're not Beast Mastery are you? :p

Xavier434

Lifer
Oct 14, 2002

The core mechanics in the game just do not allow the devs to make big changes or add new features to classes without there being a noticeable margin of error when it comes to PvE/PvP balance. This is mostly due to how fragile PvP is and particularly the Arena system. While I think the arena is a lot of fun and really cool, that system plus the mechanics of the game has forced PvP to become as fragile as a paper thin sheet of glass. Every little detail counts in the Arena if two teams of equal skill and gear face each other. If both teams make no mistakes then the winner is often determined by class imbalances which should not be the case.

This kind of makes me wonder... is it really possible to have well-designed PVE and well-designed PVP in the same game? Or are you stuck with having PVP only games like Fury to quell that desire for some PVP.

I would say that the short answer is yes, but there just hasn't been a game developed yet which has captured a large enough audience. There are many arguments for this and some of those arguments even extend as far as suggesting that the world's addiction to WoW is widespread and strong enough to the point where other games don't have room to make an impact. Although, I seem to recall similar comments being made back when EQ was shining so you never know.

I don't believe that the next big MMO will be the solution for balance but it will probably be a lot closer.

crystal

Platinum Member
Nov 5, 1999
You're not Beast Mastery are you? :p

:p - 40/21/0. I did try out MM/Surv spec - don't like it. Seem like I have too little CC, and people like to focus their fire on me. :( With the current spec, scatter shoot lets me have a little bit more control.

To all - what addon that tell you what other team make up in bg? i.e. number of players & where they come from. Like some people know other team were premade before we even started.

Lamont Burns

Platinum Member
Dec 13, 2002
Left click on the icon attached to your minimap. The same icon which you hover over to see current q time information. It's the battle icon for your faction looking thing: Horde-Red, Alliance-Blue/Yellow. Huzzah!

Oh and get TBW ffs.

OutHouse

Lifer
Jun 5, 2000
i got my shadow priest to 64 last night. I enjoy him and will take him to 70 and when i do i think ill roll a mage or rogue.

Aikouka

Lifer
Nov 27, 2001
:p - 40/21/0. I did try out MM/Surv spec - don't like it. Seem like I have too little CC, and people like to focus their fire on me. :( With the current spec, scatter shoot lets me have a little bit more control.

Just like Lamonte said, you need TBW to be successful. You can be decent against a frost mage without TBW, but I highly doubt that you're going to beat a rogue or a (mace) warrior without it. Just think of it this way, Beastial Wrath itself was good because it upset casters ability to stop your pet via fear, frost nova, etc. TBW upsets the balance for every class, because all classes try to keep close to a hunter or keep them where they want them (usually frozen, feared, etc).

My hunter is marksman (I guess I don't want to feel cheap and having to rely on a TBW crutch) and it's not that great against rogues *unless* you can get away at some point. At that time, I've kited around a rogue until they died (rofl @ rogues that follow you... although twinks usually don't have skill).

To all - what addon that tell you what other team make up in bg? i.e. number of players & where they come from. Like some people know other team were premade before we even started.

Lamonte's thing works but it's easier just to hold shift and hit spacebar. I do that a lot during battles at times to see stats.

Chimley

Jan 28, 2008
Been a warrior since beta.. been a Prot Warrior since I started MC way back.. and never really spec'd back (except when I got Askhandi.. OMG.. fun). I can honestly say I am happy with my character because I put so much time into it. But, coming from where warriors started (Day 1 Warriors were boned because of some bugs with the combat table.. we missed alot.. = dying to mobs your level. Leveling was a pain) to where they are now.. I can't complain. Course.. I have a different view because I don't PvP on my warrior. I would like a "little more" DPS for my prot warrior so farming isn't a pain in the ass...nothing uber.. just a little boost to make the grind.. well, less of a grind.

So.. because my main is a prot warrior.. I have to get my rocks off somehow. Sooo.. I'm the Aikouka of Skullcrusher:

70 NE Warrior (Main - Prot)
70 Gnome Mage (Frost)
70 NE Rogue (Combat Daggers)
70 Human Warlock (Affliction/Destro)
70 NE Hunter (Beast)
64 Space Shammie (Enhancment)
65 Human Pally (Prot.. don't ask)

These toons allow me to blow off steam, and make me pretty self sufficient (all have different professions/gathering so I can supply my own mats for anything I need). Makes raiding/farming easier.. and Quest Gold is a good source of income (plus dailies).

You think I'm bad.. I think my wife has 6 70's (working on a 7th).