WoW Guild Drama

Medellon

Feb 13, 2000
I play a rogue in WoW and he is geared in various heroic and Naxx 10 epics. The guild I am a new member in recently recruited several rogues who are either fresh 80's and/or modestly geared. Our guild has started running 25 man Naxx and I encountered a situation I would like input on.

Loot dropped off a boss that was an upgrade for me and every other rogue there so we all "rolled." I won the roll but was told I can't get the gear because rogue #2 had an inferior piece in that slot than I did. He had a normal dungeon blue while I had a heroic dungeon blue. I felt it unfair but did not argue so we could get on with the raid.

The situation came up again on another boss and the same thing happened. After the raid I reflected on this and wondered if I truly should be upset or if I am being selfish and should look at it as being helpful to the guild and raid overall. I feel I put a lot of effort into my character by running heroics, getting badge gear, buying gear from the AH, and pugging Naxx 10 so I could improve my character. These rogues come in as fresh 80's with nary an epic and now I get leap frogged by them in gear because practically everything I have is a better item than theirs.

If that is the case then I should just hit 80, put that character aside, and start a new alt. Then when the time comes for him to run Naxx 25, take him to the raid and reap the rewards of getting all the loot because my gear is inferior to everyone elses.

Am I being selfish here or do I have a legitimate concern? Thanks.

Beev

Diamond Member
Apr 20, 2006
If they wanted to give the loot to the shittier rogue they shouldn't have just let everyone roll.

KeithTalent

Elite Member | Administrator | No Lifer
Administrator
Nov 30, 2005
These are the sort of things you should work out before you go and do runs. To me it sounds a little crappy that you are actually winning these rolls, but then getting overruled when you actually try to claim the loot.

If it were me I would bring it up more as a point of clarification than anything else. Seek confirmation that this is always the rule and then you can go away and decide if you are ok playing under that rule, or if you feel the need to move on to another guild. No need to create drama or conflict (not that I'm saying you would as you seem like a rational individual from your post).

I have little experience with this stuff though, so take what I say with a touch of NaCL.

KT

Genx87

Lifer
Apr 8, 2002
Did they explain before the raid how it would work? Sounds like a crappy system to me. You won the roll, the loot is yours. Why bother rolling?

Hacp

Lifer
Jun 8, 2005
Originally posted by: Medellon
I play a rogue in WoW and he is geared in various heroic and Naxx 10 epics. The guild I am a new member in recently recruited several rogues who are either fresh 80's and/or modestly geared. Our guild has started running 25 man Naxx and I encountered a situation I would like input on.

Loot dropped off a boss that was an upgrade for me and every other rogue there so we all "rolled." I won the roll but was told I can't get the gear because rogue #2 had an inferior piece in that slot than I did. He had a normal dungeon blue while I had a heroic dungeon blue. I felt it unfair but did not argue so we could get on with the raid.

The situation came up again on another boss and the same thing happened. After the raid I reflected on this and wondered if I truly should be upset or if I am being selfish and should look at it as being helpful to the guild and raid overall. I feel I put a lot of effort into my character by running heroics, getting badge gear, buying gear from the AH, and pugging Naxx 10 so I could improve my character. These rogues come in as fresh 80's with nary an epic and now I get leap frogged by them in gear because practically everything I have is a better item than theirs.

If that is the case then I should just hit 80, put that character aside, and start a new alt. Then when the time comes for him to run Naxx 25, take him to the raid and reap the rewards of getting all the loot because my gear is inferior to everyone elses.

Am I being selfish here or do I have a legitimate concern? Thanks.

Join another guild.

Tremulant

Diamond Member
Jul 2, 2004
I think it's a legitimate concern. I understand their point, as they want the overall raid DPS to improve, but if you're bidding on items, then the highest bid should win.

I spent a good amount of time running heroics and getting badges to get my gear to a decent enough level before I even attempted to join a raiding guild. So after me and my friends got into the guild, we're raiding and then I find out that some of the other members didn't even run northrend dungeons. (Not even on normal mode)

In addition to that, they'd bring fresh 80s wearing all lvl 70 (epic) gear to raid.

And then they wondered why it was so hard to clear Naxx.

Aikouka

Lifer
Nov 27, 2001
This is a bit of a hairy situation and it's something that I'd be pissed over as well. Essentially, what I see is that you've spent time actually getting your character ready for the content and these other players are really just piggy-backing on the effort put forth by you and your other guild mates. As much as they need the upgrades, it's really not fair to deny someone because they put in more effort into getting to a truly acceptable level.

Dangerer

Golden Member
Mar 15, 2005
sucky situation to be in. Most of the guilds I've been in that were serious about progression had a very agreeable DKP system or a loot council that would require new recruits to undergo a 2 week trial period where they only receive gear absolutely no one needs.

NaOH

Diamond Member
Mar 2, 2006
That's fucking retarded. What if you just decide not to run then. Let the other rogues in their 78 blues try and finish naxx..........

You contributed more and you won the roll, yet someone else that has shitty gear and probably held the raid back gets gear. They should be sent to do heroics to gear up, not given raid items just because they're there.

brandonb

Diamond Member
Oct 17, 2006
If you won the roll its yours. If raid leaders are going to award people loot then that needs to be said up front before you start the raid. Rolling is one method, Need before Greed is another. If it was a NBG raid, then the one who needed the most should get. But if that was the case then why roll to begin with?

polarmystery

Diamond Member
Aug 21, 2005
Originally posted by: NaOH
That's fucking retarded. What if you just decide not to run then. Let the other rogues in their 78 blues try and finish naxx..........

You contributed more and you won the roll, yet someone else that has shitty gear and probably held the raid back gets gear. They should be sent to do heroics to gear up, not given raid items just because they're there.

The EP/GP system is a perfect example of how this could happen. At first the new people of the guild would not have any GP and their ratio's would be wildly out of proportion to the rest of the guildmates who have been there a while. I don't know how you could alleviate this unless if a guild used an artificial GP amount when someone new joins so their ratio is set low but not low so they don't get anything.

It is a pickle and I don't think you were being unreasonable OP. The hardest part of guilds are finding people who think logically and reasonably and finding people who are honest. Unless you find yourself in a guild you can call genuine, respectible people the gear issue will always arise when having new people in your guild.

As NaOH said, they should run heroics to gear up anyway but the argument will stand that as a raid in total DPS, a person doing 2000 DPS with great gear vs. a person doing 1500 DPS with mediocre gear will benefit less from a pure DPS standpoint if given a greater piece of armor that is not that much better than what he has vs. someone who has something really crappy and the new item in question upgrades the lower person's DPS a lot.

I haven't played WoW since the end of BC but that was always the case in our guild so what we ended up taking an extremely fine grain of salt to new commers. Nobody in our guild was under 18 also. Weird but that's how the GM wanted it.

Udgnim

Diamond Member
Apr 16, 2008
the guild needs a clearer loot policy

if they have people roll on an item, then decide to loot council base off of need then there's no point to rolling

Elcs

Diamond Member
Apr 27, 2002
My MMO Loot Rule:

You partake in a run/instance and the item that drops is for your class, you are entitled to roll. If you win that roll, then the item is yours. Guild/Kinship/Linkshell member or random person, that is my rule.

Occasionally I make an exception to this, where I know a certain member has done the instance a lot of times and has not received anything, I will specifically advise that we are intending to give <item piece> to <person> from the first run and are willing to do additional runs to help others obtain their <item piece>. BUT that is giving prior warning and joining us would be accepting that clause.

In my opinion, you were in the polite way, screwed out of an item which was rightfully yours as decided by the Random Number Generator.

Newbian

Lifer
Aug 24, 2008
Most good guilds have a system such as I believe was dkp.

If yours has no system in place then you either need to get them to convert to one or find one that does use it and treat people fair.

Pelu

Golden Member
Mar 3, 2008
that is why i love Guild Wars loot system... is random and there is no way to change it... thats it... only the selected person can pick up that item...

Pelu

Golden Member
Mar 3, 2008
Originally posted by: Newbian

If yours has no system in place then you either need to get them to convert to one or find one that does use it and treat people fair.

50 minus DKP

Juddog

Diamond Member
Dec 11, 2006
Yeah your guilds sucks even worse than mine from the sounds of it. Find another guild.

Baked

Lifer
Dec 28, 2004
gquit now. Your RL and officers are a bunch of retards. People need to earn their way to epic, even easy as epics come now a days. You don't just give them free loot 'cause they're too lazy to run heroics for L80 epics and buy badge gear.

1) Setup loot priority system. Vets > scrubs. Fuck 'em if they don't have the epics. Earn it bitch.
2) Use DKP.

NaOH

Diamond Member
Mar 2, 2006
Originally posted by: Pelu
that is why i love Guild Wars loot system... is random and there is no way to change it... thats it... only the selected person can pick up that item...

That's even lamer.

NaOH

Diamond Member
Mar 2, 2006

50 DKP MINUS

fixed

WaTaGuMp

Lifer
May 10, 2001

50 DKP MINUS

fixed

I quit playing in 2007 and I will never forget that fucking idiot going nuts and yelling at the raid with his DKP shit. :laugh:

Anubis

No Lifer
Aug 31, 2001
tbqhwy.com
Originally posted by: WaTaGuMp

50 DKP MINUS

fixed

I quit playing in 2007 and I will never forget that fucking idiot going nuts and yelling at the raid with his DKP shit. :laugh:

this
http://www.troxed.com/soundboard1.swf

and this
http://www.eecs.umich.edu/~dmackay/troxed2.swf

are just as good

WaTaGuMp

Lifer
May 10, 2001
Originally posted by: Anubis
Originally posted by: WaTaGuMp

50 DKP MINUS

fixed

this
http://www.troxed.com/soundboard1.swf

and this
http://www.eecs.umich.edu/~dmackay/troxed2.swf

are just as good

2nd link isn't working, but yes I remember those, quite funny also. :thumbsup:

Shebnay

Jan 13, 2009
Originally posted by: Baked People need to earn their way to epic, even easy as epics come now a days. You don't just give them free loot 'cause they're too lazy to run heroics for L80 epics and buy badge gear.

Agreed. Nothing more gut-wrenching when fresh newbies come in wanting to skip content and go right for 25man epics (which they practically can now, content is a joke). IMO you're entitled to be a bit selfish.