Wow, DHL is pathetic -- less than 35 miles away, and they can't deliver in one day

AndrewR

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
Bought a case on Saturday, and it shows that it was picked up by DHL at 6:33am and entered the transit facility an hour later. The transit facility is in Wilmington, OH, which is a grand total of 34 miles from Dayton (I'm actually a few miles closer). No delivery today!!

Good job, DHL! :thumbsup:

Any wonder they aren't competing toe-to-toe with UPS and FedEx? ;)

KLin

Lifer
Feb 29, 2000
Should they handpick it from their warehouse and deliver it to you ASAP?

NFS4

No Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
1) Where is the package coming from?
2) Saturday doesn't count. Count shipping from Monday.

Unless your package was picked up from the retailer in a projected 1-day delivery radius from your house on Monday, then you need to chill.

garkon

Aug 13, 2004
Originally posted by: KLin

Thats what i'm saying, F that. They must not have known who they were dealing with.

sindows

Golden Member
Dec 11, 2005
So? I've had plenty of Fed Ex/UPS packages that were delivered to their warehouse about about 7 miles from where I live. I never once got a package early and at times, they would sit there for two days. You don't see me crying about it.

Myspace --------------------------------------->

uberman

Golden Member
Sep 15, 2006
DHL is pretty pathetic. I dropped off a prepaid package with my Gateway laptop in it to be sent back for the third time for repairs. I went to DHL at the airport. I gave it to the girl at the shipping desk and asked for a reciept. She said, "We don't give reciepts." It was a $2000.00 laptop.

AndrewR

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
Originally posted by: NFS4
1) Where is the package coming from?
2) Saturday doesn't count. Count shipping from Monday.

Unless your package was picked up from the retailer in a projected 1-day delivery radius from your house on Monday, then you need to chill.

You wouldn't think you'd count Saturday, but DHL picked it up on the 6th at 0840 in Wilmington, OH (I guess they are co-located with DHL). The next scan is this morning, also in Wilmington.

Chill? I'm just pointing out that it's not particularly speedy. I wish I had known, and I could have just driven there to get it! I was bored at work today anyway.

Yes, because I'm more important than you are. Who pissed in your cornflakes?

So? I've had plenty of Fed Ex/UPS packages that were delivered to their warehouse about about 7 miles from where I live. I never once got a package early and at times, they would sit there for two days. You don't see me crying about it.

I'm happy for your delivery history -- maybe someone hates you at the delivery facility, which, from your attitude, is understandable. Who said I was crying about it, Jr.?

When did this place get invaded by angry preteens?

JBT

Lifer
Nov 28, 2001
Very rarely will you get a package shipped via ground the next day no matter how close you are no matter who the carrier.

AndrewR

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
Originally posted by: uberman
DHL is pretty pathetic. I dropped off a prepaid package with my Gateway laptop in it to be sent back for the third time for repairs. I went to DHL at the airport. I gave it to the girl at the shipping desk and asked for a reciept. She said, "We don't give reciepts."

Ok, ok, I'll give DHL some praise. I had something sent to me in Okinawa from Stateside, and the sender misaddressed it (which was typical of that company, but that's another story). Well, the address they used was for a military APO, and somehow the little DHL guy tracked me down to my office tucked away in my squadron's rather large building. Apparently he went to about four different places trying to find me, and it must have taken him a couple hours. I worked behind a secure door, and I was little shocked to see this DHL guy standing there with a letter for me!

Of course, that's Japan, where they take customer service a little more seriously than they do here.

Beev

Diamond Member
Apr 20, 2006
DHL is garbage, hell I'd rather use UPS (gasp!). I was waiting for a package from them one day and I was sitting no more than 10 feet from my door. I hear a slight rustle and a running vehicle and wait for the inevitable knock on my door, but it never happened. A couple minutes later I go outside and no one is there so I start heading back and what do I see? My fvcking package (was more of an envelope I guess) sitting next to my door underneath a god damn rock. I check the delivery status online and it says I signed for it.

DHL can lick my balls.

AndrewR

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
Originally posted by: JBT
Very rarely will you get a package shipped via ground the next day no matter how close you are no matter who the carrier.

Shipping is so strange sometimes. I had a USPS Priority Mail package go from here to California in one day last year. Yet, I've had Express Mail delivered in three days.

The only reliable thing I've found is FedEx Next Day -- it's always arrived. The only time FedEx messed things up was when the same company that screwed up the DHL address (see above) misaddressed a package to us in Okinawa and used a Chinese zip code. The package disappeared in Alaska for awhile, then reappeared in Tokyo.

When it did, we were told by FedEx that it was getting on a truck and would be delivered the next day. The only problem is that Okinawa is an island several hundred miles south of Tokyo. When I politely (ok, maybe not) explained that, I was informed that it was being hand carried to Okinawa. This involved our adoption paperwork so we were just a tad upset that it was misdirected.

Fun times!

QueBert

Lifer
Jan 6, 2002
Originally posted by: masterxfob
maybe you should start up your own courier service...

Newegg needs this, they could add on a couple couriers and when they get enough orders send him out that same day. Their wearhouse is like 20 minutes from me, would be great to order at noon and have in my hands at 2 or 3 :)

KLin

Lifer
Feb 29, 2000
Originally posted by: masterxfob
maybe you should start up your own courier service...

Great Idea. The OP should go to the vendor's warehouse, pick it up, and take it back home. Almost instant gratification!!

/thread

Compton

Platinum Member
Feb 18, 2000
Originally posted by: sindows

I've had that happen to me several times with UPS. The package will be at the local facility, but the tracking info will say "Package not scheduled to be delivered today." They won't allow me to pick up the package either.

IEC

Elite Member
Super Moderator
Jun 10, 2004
I've had DHL "attempted to deliver package" thrice before - supposedly at 10:50AM or thereabouts. Funny thing is, I never once heard a knock... (this is @ a dormitory). Ended up they left it at the campus PO... and I got the package 3 days later than I should have.

Feb 19, 2001
I've had stupidity like that.

FedEx has a Sunnyvale, Union City and Oakland center.

Oakland to Sunnyvale is something like 50 miles. Union City is in between, slightly closer to Oakland.

My item was picked up in Newark on say a Monday morning, got to Oakland in the afternoon, and the next day the item SAT AT Oakland for a freaking day. At night they moved it to Sunnyvale. I got it on a Wednesday. How retarded is that.

at least its explainable that your item was too late to be put on a truck that was going out. Mine literally sat in Oakland for a whole fvcking day when it clearly arrived the night before. Why? Because it's 2 day shipping from ZZF. How retarded is that. Because its 2day shipping, and I live literally 35 min away from ZZF warehouses, Fedex is dumb enough to wait and let the item sit in their warehouse one whole day.

I know UPS doesn't pull this sh!t.

My laptop got to the Richmond, CA distribution center on a Friday night. They moved it to Sunnyvale on a Saturday, so by Monday it was out for delivery =)

PurdueRy

Lifer
Nov 12, 2004
Originally posted by: ariafrost
I've had DHL "attempted to deliver package" thrice before - supposedly at 10:50AM or thereabouts. Funny thing is, I never once heard a knock... (this is @ a dormitory). Ended up they left it at the campus PO... and I got the package 3 days later than I should have.

They deliver it to your door at your school ? :confused:

Nov 7, 2000
unless you paid for same day or overnight i dont see the problem. they have other packages to move too, not just yours.

DaiShan

Diamond Member
Jul 5, 2001
Did you pay for next day shipping, or did you skimp? From a business standpoint, they need to most efficiently use their resources, which means deliver packages next day for individuals that paid for it. Remember that resources are scarce, and it doesn't make sense to divert resources from a paying customer to you simply because you wanted your case the next day for free.

dr150

Diamond Member
Sep 18, 2003
DHL sucks.

They leave my packages on the front door without even knocking.

AndrewR

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
Originally posted by: Compton
Originally posted by: sindows

I've had that happen to me several times with UPS. The package will be at the local facility, but the tracking info will say "Package not scheduled to be delivered today." They won't allow me to pick up the package either.

I used to live near the massive UPS warehouse in Tennessee, and I remember being able to pick up a package there at night when I needed it before it was to be delivered the following day.

Did you pay for next day shipping, or did you skimp? From a business standpoint, they need to most efficiently use their resources, which means deliver packages next day for individuals that paid for it. Remember that resources are scarce, and it doesn't make sense to divert resources from a paying customer to you simply because you wanted your case the next day for free.

Yeah, yeah, yeah. ;) Shipping was free, but that's not the point -- it's the intellectual problem I have with it being so close and not being delivered. It was finally delivered today at about 5pm so it took 57 hours to travel 34 miles. Blazing fast!!! :D

Feb 19, 2001
Originally posted by: AndrewR

Yeah, yeah, yeah. ;) Shipping was free, but that's not the point -- it's the intellectual problem I have with it being so close and not being delivered. It was finally delivered today at about 5pm so it took 57 hours to travel 34 miles. Blazing fast!!! :D

The UPS man was on foot. Now that's dedication ;)

AndrewR

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
Originally posted by: DLeRium
Originally posted by: AndrewR

The UPS man was on foot. Now that's dedication ;)

Well, I know why it took the guy so long. I saw him walk up with the case, and he was standing at my door for about 3 minutes trying to scan it for tracking. Meanwhile, my dog was lunging at the door. :D