Wow. Bitcoin is almost $1,500

Page 95 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

ultimatebob

Lifer
Jul 1, 2001
Hey assholes. Get out of bitcoin and spend it all on GME.

Power to the people.

<3

I thought that Nokia was the new distressed stock that Reddit was trying to rescue. They're not telling people to buy more GME, they just want them to hold until the short sellers cave.

JEDI

Lifer
Sep 25, 2001
I thought that Nokia was the new distressed stock that Reddit was trying to rescue. They're not telling people to buy more GME, they just want them to hold until the short sellers cave.
thought the big hedge fund closed their short position on gme and took a 100% loss?

pandemonium

Golden Member
Mar 17, 2011
This is all a much more boring and totally legit Mr. Robot storyline that I didn't anticipate. Wake me up when Ethereum is the backbone to the markets. All of them.

sdifox

No Lifer
Sep 30, 2005
thought the big hedge fund closed their short position on gme and took a 100% loss?

On Monday 15th the short was 200% of all available float stock. Yeah no way they covered all that already and are still standing.

ultimatebob

Lifer
Jul 1, 2001
This is all a much more boring and totally legit Mr. Robot storyline that I didn't anticipate. Wake me up when Ethereum is the backbone to the markets. All of them.

Eh... it's still better than 2020, which was basically season 6 of Black Mirror.

ultimatebob

Lifer
Jul 1, 2001

That's what the hedge funds want you to think. They're probably betting that Reddit will get bored with this in two weeks, and they can cash in then.

ultimatebob

Lifer
Jul 1, 2001

Great... so I can pay a $10 Ethereum transaction fee to trade stocks like I do when I try to award my Coolcoin token to somebody? No thanks.

destrekor

Lifer
Nov 18, 2005

Still rather ridiculous when considering it was supposed to be revolutionary.

I'm held XEM (NEM NIS1 blockchain) for a long time now, and am excited for the upcoming launch of XYM (NEM's Symbol blockchain). Far more prepared to handle transactions fast and cheaply, at least it would seem so. Time will tell... I just hope it goes mainstream.

ultimatebob

Lifer
Jul 1, 2001

I'm held XEM (NEM NIS1 blockchain) for a long time now, and am excited for the upcoming launch of XYM (NEM's Symbol blockchain). Far more prepared to handle transactions fast and cheaply, at least it would seem so. Time will tell... I just hope it goes mainstream.

Unfortunately, they charge more to send tokens. Right now, Metamask wants to charge me $9.78 to send 100 Coolcoin, or about $10.50 if I want to send them faster.

DrMrLordX

Lifer
Apr 27, 2000

The EF is dragging its feet. They haven't moved beyond PoW. So long as they stay on older Ethereum versions, you should expect txn times and prices to get worse.

Icecold

Golden Member
Nov 15, 2004
Is there a way to buy Dogecoin that doesn't require expensive wire transfers or waiting a few days while funds clear or anything like that? Everything I've found recommends Kraken (or a couple others), but there's no way to ACH the money over or use a credit card it requires a wire transfer. Ideally I'd be able to buy some on a credit card even if it means a 3% convenience fee or something.

Edit - from what I've read other places it sounds like there isn't really. Purchasing Bitcoin or another crypto on Coinbase which allows an ACH transfer, and then transferring that Bitcoin or other crypto to an exchange that allows purchasing Dogecoin, such as Kraken seems to be the most common way. Purchasing Bitcoin on Coinbase doesn't seem to allow you to transfer it for 9 days, though, so no matter what you do it all appears pretty slow.

Last edited:

DrMrLordX

Lifer
Apr 27, 2000
Is there a way to buy Dogecoin that doesn't require expensive wire transfers or waiting a few days while funds clear or anything like that? Everything I've found recommends Kraken (or a couple others), but there's no way to ACH the money over or use a credit card it requires a wire transfer. Ideally I'd be able to buy some on a credit card even if it means a 3% convenience fee or something.

Edit - from what I've read other places it sounds like there isn't really. Purchasing Bitcoin or another crypto on Coinbase which allows an ACH transfer, and then transferring that Bitcoin or other crypto to an exchange that allows purchasing Dogecoin, such as Kraken seems to be the most common way. Purchasing Bitcoin on Coinbase doesn't seem to allow you to transfer it for 9 days, though, so no matter what you do it all appears pretty slow.

It used to be faster than that. I think what most of the "serious" traders do is HODL a bunch of stablecoin and use non-banked exchanges as the glue for their trades. Some will keep USD on Coinbase Pro and use that instead. Matter of taste really.

njdevilsfan87

Platinum Member
Apr 19, 2007
2hqj2f.jpg

$1675 right now.

Ethereum now costs more than Bitcoin did when this thread was originally made.

ultimatebob

Lifer
Jul 1, 2001
2hqj2f.jpg

$1675 right now.

Ethereum now costs more than Bitcoin did when this thread was originally made.

Yeah, I noticed that even the shitcoins that I got for free from Coinbase Earn are starting to be worth something now. Crazy.

Oh, and it would now cost me $30 to send someone Coolcoin. Yikes.

Last edited:

njdevilsfan87

Platinum Member
Apr 19, 2007
Well there's still XTZ. I cannot believe how poorly that one has performed compared to everything else. I got lured in to the 5-6% staking interest rate a few months ago, bought a few thousand, and I'm not much up. I could have literally bought anything else and been up like 2-3x in that time.

ultimatebob

Lifer
Jul 1, 2001
Well there's still XTZ. I cannot believe how poorly that one has performed compared to everything else. I got lured in to the 5-6% staking interest rate a few months ago, bought a few thousand, and I'm not much up. I could have literally bought anything else and been up like 2-3x in that time.

Yeah, I noticed that my Nimiq crypto didn't budge as well. It's basically as worthless as it was before.

ultimatebob

Lifer
Jul 1, 2001
Didn't NIMIQ have a run up of 2000% gains over bottom sometime in the last quarter?

Last year, it went up from being worth 0.05 cents each to about a penny each, and then went back down to about 0.4 cents each. It basically stayed flat since then, completely ignoring the rally in other cryptocurrency.

In my eyes, 8 times worthless is still worthless. For example, they added an option to convert it to Bitcoin within their wallet, but the fees to do so would erase half of my holdings!

ponyo

Lifer
Feb 14, 2002
Doesn't matter. His tweets move markets, and at current prices my transaction wallet makes me sad. If I held back then...
Can't change the past. All we have is the present and the future.

Like you I sometimes wonder what my life would be like today if I held all the Apple stock I had and not sold. I would have 868,000 shares of Apple today worth $118 million. I took the lesson I learned from Apple and tried to learn from it. That's all you can do. Try to learn from it.